WWYD £500 to spend on clothes, shoes, bags etc?

(5 Posts)
Nearlyadoctor Fri 15-Jan-16 18:12:04

A lovely predicament to be in I know, I have £500 which I have to spend on clothes / bags / shoes for myself.

My mum has recently recieved an endowment policy and given me £500 with the stipulation I spend it on the above. Bit of background though, she is useless with money and always has been running up credit card bills in the thousands. Had to downsize 2 years ago to pay them off ( nearly £50,000)!
In comparison I am very sensible with money and although love shopping try not to waste money and make clothes etc as considered purchases. Currently attempting no spend on clothes for a year, although did buy a bag the other day so will use a some of the money to pay for that (£100). And I suppose as this isn't my money doesn't really count so to speak..

I would like to put the money towards this year's holiday but not allowed, she specifically wants me to spend it on clothes, shoes or boots, handbags etc all the things that she repeatedly gets into debt over.

I don't really need anything at the moment - what would you buy??

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Fri 15-Jan-16 18:23:20

I'd buy a North Face coat - possibly a Brooklyn, an Arctic or a Suzanne. Really really good but cost an arm and a leg. Your DM will be furious that you've got something so frivolous, but you can put your fur trimmed hood up and sing la la can't hear you explain that being toasty warm makes you happy.

Do shop around though because there are normally deals to be had.

I'd also get a good quality pair of warm winter leather boots, you should be able to get a good pair in the sales for a hundred quid.

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Fri 15-Jan-16 18:24:15

Oops, she'll be furious that you bought something so not frivolous.

Nanasueathome Fri 15-Jan-16 18:27:13

Make a list of what you would like
Does it need to be clothes for work, leisure, going out?
Lots of sales in at the moment
Buy a few good quality items that will last rather than lots of cheaper items
Plan outfits
Even have a personal shopper to assist if needed
Have a fun time splashing out

HolgerDanske Fri 15-Jan-16 18:52:04

I would save some for the summer sales this year, and some for the winter sales. That way I could buy a lovely pair or two of summer shoes, plus an outfit, plus maybe a bag. And the same again with winter items.

Or, I'd save it all and buy a designer bag in the mid-year sales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now