Talk

Advanced search

supplements for skin?

(11 Posts)
sendforthenext Fri 15-Jan-16 16:55:48

Anyone take oral supplements to keep their skin in good condition like perfectil and stuff? I've heard people talk about something called immodeen. Is it worth it, or just an expensive rip off?

SeasonalVag Fri 15-Jan-16 17:49:59

Diet and water is the best thing. I use biotin supplements for skin and hair, flaxseed oil is supposed to be good as well.

fiorentina Fri 15-Jan-16 20:20:16

Jumping onto this thread, are there any supplements for spotty skin, I've seen zinc mentioned alongside healthy diet and water etc?

sendforthenext Fri 15-Jan-16 23:38:16

Clearasil seems to work well for DD (early teen skin) don't know if it would be the same for adults?

sendforthenext Fri 15-Jan-16 23:41:16

Although it's a product, not a supplement of course.

mintbiscuit Sat 16-Jan-16 00:01:41

Evening primrose oil - regulates hormones to help hormonal acne. (It works!). Also helps dry skin.
Zinc. But you have to get the most bioavailable stuff so zinc picolinate is the best.
Fish oils. Reduces inflammation.
Vitamin e. If you suffer from acne high doses of this has been shown to improve it.

I don't think any of the supplements marketed for healthy skin work. I use the above which has helped my dry/acne prone skin massively.

fiorentina Sat 16-Jan-16 11:19:13

That's helpful. My skin is dry and acne prone so will stock up and try those. Thank you.

donadumaurier Sat 16-Jan-16 11:45:32

Not a supplement, but I had awful awful acne from aged 11-20 and the best thing I ever did for my skin was cut out dairy. I honestly can't recommend it enough. I also take Evening Primrose Oil and turmeric which have helped too- turmeric is an anti-inflammatory so good for acne prone skin.

mintbiscuit Sat 16-Jan-16 11:54:01

donadumaurier out of interest how do you take turmeric? I bought a big bag of this to incorporate into food as I had read about the anti inflammatory properties in relation to cancer. But I'm struggling to use it frequently as it's not something you can add to everything!

donadumaurier Sat 16-Jan-16 12:03:00

mintbiscuit I buy it in capsules from Holland and Barrett. So much easier than trying to incorporate it into food! I'm also taking it partly for that reason, there are so many things it's supposed to be helpful for.

fiorentina Sat 16-Jan-16 12:56:29

I have seen it suggested to drink turmeric with lemon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now