Any pressed or loose powder recommendations?

(17 Posts)
TeamAgamemnon Fri 15-Jan-16 12:15:52

Can anyone recommend the powder they are using? I've tried a few different brands and also pressed and loose and I can't quite find something that works. It often looks too 'done up' and/or with cakey or dry patches by the end of the day.

I'm looking for something not outrageously expensive (usual brands are Mac, Benefit, Estée Lauder) and preferably with a smidgen of colour as I am as pale as they come and just look ill without a little help.

Any recommendations? It would be going over Estée Lauder Double Wear (evening) or Double Wear Light (daytime) both of which I love.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 15-Jan-16 12:20:58

Clinique Superpowder is my HG pressed powder if I need it to last, although at the moment I have a N7 one called Light something which is lovely, very fine.

Again, I have had a loose Clinique powder for years (rarely wear loose tbh) called Gentle Light, but I think it has been discontinued. <helpful>

BringMeTea Fri 15-Jan-16 12:28:55

NYX HD loose powder is very good. Not cakey, doesn't settle in lines!

applecatchers36 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:35:09

Benefit dandelion finishing powder is good for pale skin

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Fri 15-Jan-16 12:47:08

EFL HD Powder. It's only a few quid as well.

Cheesymonster Fri 15-Jan-16 12:50:15

Benefit pore agent loose powder. Comes with its own brush so it's good for chucking in your handbag.

Youvegottobekidding Fri 15-Jan-16 14:33:33

I'm using collection 2000's loose powder in transulant and have to say for the price (£2.99 if I remember correctly) is my absolute favourite! Not patchy or cakey & definitly not orangey. I'm fair skinned. It's a winner with me & one of my make up staples that I purchase over & over again.

stumblymonkey Fri 15-Jan-16 14:46:46

Clinique pressed powder in translucent is amazing!

It blots all oil and shininess away but has no colour so impossible to look cakey or strange

absolutelynotfabulous Fri 15-Jan-16 18:45:49

I like the Rimmel loose one. Cheap as chips! Never settles or looks odd.

I wear it with primer and a touch of foundation.

Sleepyfergus Fri 15-Jan-16 20:18:59

I love Benefit Dandelion but the price was always a bit steep for me. I did some research and found a few folk recommended items from Superdrugs Make Up Academy (MUA) range.

Instead of Dandelion I now use this buffed onto my skin in circular motions with a buffing brush

http://www.superdrug.com/Make-Up-Offers/MUA-Prime-%26-Conceal-Correcting-Powder/p/245500

Followed by either their Mosaic English rose

http://www.superdrug.com/MUA/MUA-Mosaic-Powder-English-Rose/p/267766

Or their sun kissed bronzer version

http://www.superdrug.com/MUA/MUA-Mosaic-Powder-Sunkissed-Glow/p/267762

They're cheap as chips but surprisingly good. Their powder blushes are also fab and I'm also trying their highlighters and primers at the mo. Ok so the packaging is a little uninspiring but at that price, I don't complain!

lisbapalea Fri 15-Jan-16 20:21:29

I use a Laura mercier one - used to have translucent but now have a colour (can't remember what it's called). Don't use it every day but to 'set' foundation when I need it to last, and I never feel overly made up when I use it.

sarah2011 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:24:18

Another shout for clinique translucent matt powder. Fab

Nettletheelf Fri 15-Jan-16 20:25:27

Another vote for Collection 2000.

Good old Corn Silk (in the satin finish, not matt) is also reliable. The lids keep cracking though, which puts me off buying it.

FadedRed Fri 15-Jan-16 20:27:04

Maybelline Super Stay 24 is good, doesn't clump or look unnatural. Not expensive, apply with a big soft brush.

sarah2011 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:31:37

Corn silk omg what a blast from the past, we all went mad for this when I was in sixth form ha! If I remember correctly you had to order it from one of the magazines that came with the Sunday papers- they would sometimes send you little mini ones.

Nettletheelf Fri 15-Jan-16 21:22:47

Yes, they used to advertise Corn Silk next to 'pearlie tooth paint, used by models!' (That one was accompanied by a black and white photo of a slightly cross eyed woman)

Aquamarine70 Sat 16-Jan-16 09:09:00

Corn silk loose powder is the best but I'm not sure if it's being discontinued. My MIL usually brings some for me as I'm in Australia & I can't get it here. She usually gets it in a big Boots but couldn't find it. Online it seems out of stock too. The nearest match I could find was a Christian Dior Nude powder I think it is called but you only get a tiny pot.
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder is nice which is pressed powder with a glow shimmer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now