Talk

Advanced search

Urgent outfit needed for a funeral

(25 Posts)
NeededANameChangeAnyway Thu 14-Jan-16 21:11:16

The death was sudden and totally unexpected. My head is all over the place and I can't think straight - can anyone help?

Perhaps a grey dress? I'm short and a size 16/18 mostly around the tummy so I'd like something to camouflage that area if possible.

Due to time frame it has to be high street or somewhere with next day delivery (have to leave on Wednesday for the funeral).

Any ideas?

paulapantsdown Thu 14-Jan-16 21:18:41

Why do you need a specific outfit? Just wear your neatest, smartest trousers, dress, whatever! As long as it is neat and tidy, it does not have to black or even grey.

I wore to ;
mums funeral - grey trousers/black v neck jumper/cream coat
dads funeral - blue wrap over dress
MIL funeral - navy trousers and a white a navy blouse

Dont get stressed about this - wear something comfortable, warm and clean.

Sorry for your loss by the way flowers

NeededANameChangeAnyway Thu 14-Jan-16 21:22:43

I'm going through my wardrobe as well but don't think I have anything suitable - all my dresses are pretty bright...

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 14-Jan-16 21:28:22

Do you have any black trousers? If so you could just get a blouse in a muted colour or grey/black. I ended up getting a grey jumper dress for my uncle's funeral which I also wore to my dad's funeral.

BiscuitMillionaire Thu 14-Jan-16 21:29:39

And sorry for your loss. flowers

NeededANameChangeAnyway Thu 14-Jan-16 21:30:23

No black trousers - I live in jeans unless I have to meet a client then it's a dress...

Am thinking this: www.next.co.uk/x5762s1

I have blue shoes and a blue jacket

NeededANameChangeAnyway Thu 14-Jan-16 21:31:12

maybe with a shirt underneath? Or a cardigan?

goddessofsmallthings Thu 14-Jan-16 21:32:48

Where will be funeral be held?

Very few people in the UK wear black or dark colours to funerals and, as paula has said, it's probable you already have a suitable outfit in your wardrobe. If not, you should be able to find something suitable in John Lewis, Debenhams, H&M, Monsoon, Next, or other high street clothes store.

Doilooklikeatourist Thu 14-Jan-16 21:35:33

Can you do something simple like a black polo neck jumper ( or buy a black cardi from somewhere like M & S )
And plain trousers / skirt combo
Not helpful probably , but my Aunt loved pink. The amount of people with a pink jumper , scarf , tie , shirt any splash of pink on at her funeral was a blessing to see
It doesn't have to be all black these days

roundandroundthehouses Thu 14-Jan-16 21:36:36

Last funeral I went to I wore a dark-coloured dress from Seasalt. It had a pattern but very subtle. You'll need a warm black/dark coat in this weather as well. The one from Next is a good colour, although it wouldn't suit me for a funeral as I'm quite top-heavy and I think that dress would emphasise that.

Very sorry for your loss, and I hope you find something suitable.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 14-Jan-16 21:37:09

Anything muted and smart will be suitable. Do you have a smart coat?

roundandroundthehouses Thu 14-Jan-16 21:37:43

(Don't know about general UK funerals, though, as I'm in rural N.I. where it's still very much dark/black for funerals.)

NeededANameChangeAnyway Thu 14-Jan-16 21:37:56

Thanks all for the suggestions, I'm going to get that dress ordered to pick up from Next tomorrow.

I'd love to wear a colourful dress as I think it would have gone down well with the person but don't want to upset anyone on the day.

goddessofsmallthings Thu 14-Jan-16 23:59:35

The only concern I have about the dress you've linked to is whether it will be warm enough.

If you buy it I suggest you opt for a cardigan as wearing a shirt or fine knit polo neck underneath may make it look as it's a uniform of the type that bank/shop staff wear.

BackforGood Fri 15-Jan-16 00:16:52

Very few people in the UK wear black or dark colours to funerals

I disagree with this, and have unfortunately been to quite a lot of funerals, plus I sometimes 'steward' at our Church for other funerals I'm nothing to do with. The overwhelming majority do wear black, with some going in navy or grey. Every now and then you get a funeral where people are requested to wear something bright but that's the odd one out IME - most funeral clothing is muted.

Gwenhwyfar Fri 15-Jan-16 07:54:54

"Very few people in the UK wear black or dark colours to funerals

I disagree with this, and have unfortunately been to quite a lot of funerals"

I completely disagree as well!
It doesn't have to be black, but dark colours. White shirt with black suit is acceptable.

Fabellini Fri 15-Jan-16 07:56:46

Agree with BackforGood about wearing black/dark colours to funerals - I'm in Scotland and it is still very much the norm here.
Very sorry for your loss NeededaNameChangeAnyway flowers

imsorryiasked Fri 15-Jan-16 08:02:34

If you know who the funeral directors are then speak to them and ask if dress code has been mentioned. Many people these days specify "no black" or "wear something red"

NeededANameChangeAnyway Fri 15-Jan-16 08:48:46

thanks all. No decision yet on a dress. I'm going to have to do a dash around the shops again tomorrow, will try a different town this time and hope for the best.

SeasonalVag Fri 15-Jan-16 10:27:23

Good God, Unless otherwise advised, please don't go to a funeral in anything other than muted colours!

Dark greens, navy, or Greys are ok ...doesn't have to be black. Sadly I have one next week, and will either wear a grey suit or a dark green dress

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Fri 15-Jan-16 11:09:23

I wore this - www.next.co.uk/x5720s1#359627 - for MIL's funeral this week, with a smart dark grey and black jacket from Primark. The drape is tummy flattering, and the neck is perhaps more funeral friendly than the one you're thinking of.

WinnieTheW0rm Fri 15-Jan-16 11:33:09

I think that navy dress would be fine for a funeral (I think navy is the best colour to choose if you're not going for black; other possibles being grey, traditional half-mourning lavender or dull dark purple, and then any other muted colour; unless of course a different dress code it stated).

You'll also get a lot of use from a navy dress afterwards.

But have you checked where the service will be? I'm just wondering about being warm enough because not all churches are, and if there is a burial then that can be very chilly. So if that, in January, it might be worth having a look in the sales for a good black or navy coat.

tabulahrasa Fri 15-Jan-16 13:59:59

Everyone wears black (a few in other dark colours)...even at a funeral where it's been requested that people wear bright colours, half of the people attending wore black.

Floisme Fri 15-Jan-16 14:15:50

I've been to a fair number of funerals - some of them very traditional Catholic services. Unless the family have requested otherwise, I think the main thing is to wear something unobtrusive. If anyone can remember after the event what you were wearing then I would say you've got it wrong.

I agree that dark colours are safest in terms of blending in but I have yet to go to a funeral where everyone - or even most people - wore black.

And yes to wrapping up warmly. Churches, cemetries and crematoriums can all be cold.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Notagainmun Fri 15-Jan-16 15:29:22

[Flowers]I am about your size and have a family funeral next week too. I am wearing a black and blue patterned wrap style dress that helps to reduce my tummy. There are loads of this style around the high street. I am also wearing a black poncho/ wrap over the top and black tights and shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now