Talk

Advanced search

Would you wear this to a wedding?

(22 Posts)
BuggersMuddle Thu 14-Jan-16 00:36:00

Struggling to get an outfit for a wedding. Found this one in the sale, but I am unsure if it's a bit too close to bridesmaid type outfits. (It's been a long time since I attended a wedding).

My DM and DP think it's great and they are fairly conservative, but I am still unsure (poss just because of the length?). I would style it with sparkly sandals, statement bangle and carry a pashmina (I know, I know) in case chilly.

(Oh and that is not me, sadly....)

whatdoIget Thu 14-Jan-16 00:38:42

It's nice, but I think it might be a bit bridesmaidy. Where's it from?

SeoulSista Thu 14-Jan-16 00:39:09

Gorgeous dress. Is it black tie? I'm not sure I'd wear a full length dress to a wedding.

WhataRacquet Thu 14-Jan-16 00:40:19

I think it's too bridesmaidy. If it was knee length would be lovely.

Scarletforya Thu 14-Jan-16 00:42:36

Is it black tie by any chance, then it'd be fine. Long might look overly formal though and a bit bridesmaidy.

Why a pashmina OP. They're a bit dated and fussy.

SenecaFalls Thu 14-Jan-16 00:43:08

I think it's lovely. It would be perfect for most weddings in the US, not sure about the UK.

BuggersMuddle Thu 14-Jan-16 00:44:20

what Its from Reiss and is a fab price in the ale.

Seoul It's not black tie. Afternoon country house wedding. Men are in lounge suits in the bridal party, but otoh I know the bride is going all out on a dress and there are several bridesmaids and groomsmen.

whatdoIget Thu 14-Jan-16 00:47:02

I suppose it wouldn't be worth using it and having it shortened? I love the colour!

whatdoIget Thu 14-Jan-16 00:47:18

Buying it not using it

BuggersMuddle Thu 14-Jan-16 00:47:31

scarlet Was trying to think of a way to differentiate from something bridal tbh, so I thought sparkly sandals (rather than satin shoes) would be one way. Wasn't sure what to take for a wrap tbh.

Assuming I do go for it (and it's ordered, but has to fit), a cardie seems inappropriate for the dress. What would you style it with?

(Honestly, I can dress myself, but I rarely go to this type of event and if I do it's the summer which makes things much easier).

BuggersMuddle Thu 14-Jan-16 00:48:30

whatdoI tbh it will probably need shortened anyway as the dress is the same length as me grin

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 14-Jan-16 00:51:39

It is beautiful, but from how you've described the wedding and what the men are wearing I think it will be OTT. Sorry.

Can you save it for another occasion?

BuggersMuddle Thu 14-Jan-16 00:52:36

FWIW I'm not too fussed if I am on the more 'dressed up' end of the guest list as the dress code for the wedding is unclear andI know relatives are going for hats / fascinators etc. Others will be in kilts. I suspect the invite means they'll get everything from evening dress through smart trousers and a jacket, but I know the couple themselves like to dress up.

More worried if the bride would look and say 'FFS she's dressed like a bride / member of the wedding party'.

BuggersMuddle Thu 14-Jan-16 00:55:06

XP Milk It's sale or return so I can either choose not to buy it or use it for another purpose. I'm assuming of course that the size I've ordered (I tried another in store) will fit and of course it might not. Picking it up tomorrow, so can make a decision based on how good it looks, but I thought I'd canvas as I was wobbling (really struggling to get a dress).

DM thinks it's fab, but my family go really dressy for weddings.

Scarletforya Thu 14-Jan-16 00:57:27

I was thinking a black fur shrug with black evening shoes rather than sandals.

I always think it's better to be slightly more weather appropriate, it makes the outfit feel more coherent I think.

Sparkly sandals and pashmina are summertime styling, you might feel a little more comfortable/dressed with winter shoes and shrug/short jacket?

LimpidPools Thu 14-Jan-16 01:18:26

I think if you style it right it will be lovely. I agree with Scarlet that winter styling would be more appropriate though.

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 14-Jan-16 01:22:27

It's a nice dress but totally inappropriate for the event you've described.

Bambooshoots14 Thu 14-Jan-16 04:14:46

I think it's far too bridesmaid like. I would wear something shorter or if long then a different less bridesmaid dress material

WipsGlitter Thu 14-Jan-16 07:01:32

I looks easy to shorten though. Knee length with a fur jacket would be great.

fruitlovingmonkey Thu 14-Jan-16 07:04:01

No, unless you want to moonlight as a member of the bridal party.

mammmamia Thu 14-Jan-16 07:55:00

I think it's lovely and I go to loads of weddings. Full length is fine. Just find out what colour and style the bridesmaids are wearing if you can so you don't have any risk of looking like one.

mrsmortis Thu 14-Jan-16 09:36:28

I think you'd be OK if you wore it with a jacket - that'd differentiate you from the bridal party and be more weather appropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now