Talk

Advanced search

[Title edited by MNHQ] Insider dirt on beauty and fashion blogging

(1000 Posts)
handslikecowstits Tue 12-Jan-16 17:42:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Tue 12-Jan-16 20:49:52

I think there was a change/clarification in the law not too long ago which meant that all bloggers had to disclose things like that (plus sponsored posts) more clearly. She's almost definitely always had the links, just only changed her disclosure.

If you want to know whether a link is an affiliate link, you can right click it and "copy link location" and paste it into this site to see where it really points. I did it with the first link I found on her page, a Sephora link, and it redirects to "rstyle.me" which is one of the biggest affiliate schemes.

These links generally leave cookies on your PC that last up to 30 days, which means that any item you purchase from that website in that time will earn the blogger some commission - not just the item you clicked the link to. For this reason many people think the links are shady.

HTH!

Disclaimer: I don't read/follow CH.

Katnipp Tue 12-Jan-16 21:22:48

She does also do sponsored posts. These are clearly marked so you know.

On the other links - I find she'll link to one place you can buy something eg cult beauty when there are a number of other retailers such as space nk or m&s or even directly.

Tate15 Tue 12-Jan-16 21:49:13

I can't stand her! It all reds as blatant advertising and she is very up herself.

Floisme Tue 12-Jan-16 22:20:08

She's in the PR business.
She recommends so many products, some of them are bound by the law of averages to suit some people.
I see no reason to believe a word she says.

mintbiscuit Tue 12-Jan-16 23:18:20

I think you have to take any bloggers product recommendations with a pinch of salt. You have to find is right for your skin and unfortunately (for our purses!) it is often a case of trial and error. What I do like (in Caroline's defence) is how she lays out the basics of what a good skincare routine should look like.

On the negative side hate that she is in bed with Cult Beauty whose products I find completely overpriced and under whelming.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 13-Jan-16 02:02:09

I agree with mint, I think CH she speaks good sense about skin routines. I use very few of the products she recommends but have followed her advice re. cleansing and glycolic acids etc. to very glowy results. Sometimes I even allow myself a vain moment to think 'wow your skin is amazing these days'.

But yes, take all bloggers product recommendations with a pinch of salt.

Wagglebees Wed 13-Jan-16 02:16:46

I don't think she's as good as she used to be. She's now under the same management as the vloggers like Fleur DeForce, Zoella etc which is fine, we've all got to make a living, but it does mean there's more sponsorship and an inclination to promote some lines more than others. Then again Ruth Crilley (a model recommends) is under Gleam now too and her posts haven't really changed. I do get a bit of a try hard vibe from CH these days.

Another that made me question her advice more is the posts on Instagram of her daily cleansing routines. She uses or at least posts pictures of, different things every day. How can she say whether a toner or cleanser is good or not if she's used it once before using something else the next night? If her skin gets a breakout or whatever she won't know what caused it.

The sheet sheets are sound though. As is the basic advice and explanations of ingredients and what they do. I just wouldn't rely on specific product recommendations from her anymore.

Wagglebees Wed 13-Jan-16 02:18:37

Cheat sheets

iPaid Wed 13-Jan-16 09:14:14

Have a look at this video of CH and Sali Hughes going through CH's beauty hoard at home. Seriously, the woman receives so many products how can she test and evaluate them rigorously enough to recommend them with any integrity?

Chinesealan Wed 13-Jan-16 09:23:32

What do people think about Paula's Choice? I like the detail in her reviews but not surecwhether ger good reviews have anything to do with links to certain companies.

mintbiscuit Wed 13-Jan-16 09:33:54

Chinese The thing I don't like about Paula is that she is clearly pushing her own products and I feel that her reviews are biased in that respect. I think they are very quick to downgrade certain products even though the community may rate them highly. Again, just goes to show what doesn't for one person may work for someone else.

That said, I do think the products that I have tried from that brand are well formulated.

Wolpertinger Wed 13-Jan-16 10:17:20

I really like Paula's Choice products. Yes the rules on Beautypedia are designed to favour Paula's Choice and she could make her products cheaper and not every single product needs to contain antioxidants which she is obsessed with but then why are there sooo many badly formulated products on the market. Caroline is also pushing products, if you haven't noticed, she's just cleverer about it.

I find ther descriptions of a healthy routine easier to follow and much more consistent that Caroline Hirons who has a tendency to contradict herself. Recently Caroline has also taken to spouting guff about anti-histamines as well - skin ones not pollen ones??? - errr, they do the same thing once they are inside your body, your just paying for the label, which absolutely grinds my teeth. You don't get that shit from Paula.

ggirl Wed 13-Jan-16 10:20:35

I find CHs blog so hard to navigate I have given up on it

Annarose2014 Wed 13-Jan-16 10:22:36

I have found Carolines cheat sheets useful. It's spurred me on to cleaning my face a lot more thoroughly than the "once around with a wet wipe" I used to do.

But I've never used one of the products she recommended. They're crazy expensive, and she's obviously in bed with Zelens, Pixi, and Tata Harper et al.

But her core principles of skin care are worth exploring.

Annarose2014 Wed 13-Jan-16 10:24:50

But it means I hardly ever go near her blog anymore. Once you have the routine down, there's no need. All you'll see is new releases from obscure brands that cost £80 for a serum.

Not very relevant to my needs!

NotNowBono Wed 13-Jan-16 10:45:49

I like Paula's Choice products - the BHA lotion's made a huge difference to my rosacea, though her moisturisers aren't all that - but despite the decent analysis that cuts through a lot of industry guff, I find Beautypedia almost unreadable because of the sheer bitchiness of the reviews, running alongside the fact that her own line gets 5 stars all round.

The community reviews on the site are a lot more useful; for instance, I've been looking for a really good dry skin moisturiser that wouldn't make my rosacea flare up, and noticed Eucerin getting rave reviews, even though PC awarded it two stars. It's amazing. My skin has never looked glowier. But it's in a pot, so obviously it's complete rubbish...

Wolpertinger Wed 13-Jan-16 10:56:44

Well Beautypedia won't like anything in a pot or that doesn't contain anti-oxidants. If those two things don't bother you (personally I prefer tubes but couldn't give a shit about the anti-oxidants in ever single sodding product) and automatically add on 2 stars for a product missing these two then you're away.

For example Cerave gets 4 stars instead of the magic 5 because it's missing the holy grail anti-oxidants. It's got everything else, is cheap and if you care about the blessed anti-oxidants you can have them in a serum instead.

However a lot of sense is spoken about fragrance, essential oils and generally potty claims about miracle ingredients and price points so I kind of think it's the best review site we've got out of a bad bunch.

NotNowBono Wed 13-Jan-16 11:09:52

That's a great formula! I will apply that in future... Totally agree about the sense in debunking beauty bollocks, and I do turn to Beautypedia for basic advice. My skin just crawls at the snotty tone, iykwim - sort of, 'sorry but if you like this, then you're basically an idiot and wrong'. Except with the 'sorry but' bit.

MitzyLeFrouf Wed 13-Jan-16 11:12:17

I think Paula has some great products but her website reviews do make me chuckle. Basically it it's ain't called Paul it ain't much good......in her mind.

Wolpertinger Wed 13-Jan-16 11:30:35

Can see also that it assumes you are after anti-ageing anti-acne - which to be fair is probably the biggest market - so that's where the biggest scores go.

So an ultrabland product which is great for dry skin with rosacea is going to score zero stars but might be just what you are looking for.

I think her guides to what to do and what ingredients work are really good - and yes, you can just go and buy her products whih is easy as shes done the work for you (and with the BHA and retinol I would as they are v classy products) or you can put the effort in and find the same elsewhere for less.

Chinesealan Wed 13-Jan-16 16:02:18

Paula seems to rate Estee Lauder and Clinique above others similar. Any reason for that other than that she's right?

Destinysdaughter Wed 13-Jan-16 16:31:58

I like reading the reviews of products on Makeupalley, lots of different people's opinions on products they've bought themselves and tried. Although obviously some products work better for some people than others, I think it gives you a good idea of what a product will be like.

Wolpertinger Wed 13-Jan-16 16:44:58

Well to go for the only Clinique category I know anything about - toners.

She'd like the packaging and the lack of fragrance and that the brand isn't centred on essential oils.

She hates pretty much all of the toners as being a waste of space for being the wrong pH and too full of alcohol to work except for the Mild Clarifying Toner - which is the same one Caroline Hirons likes.

So suspect the answer is she's right. Same for things like Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair.

Don't think she'd like Tata Harper much though grin

handslikecowstits Wed 13-Jan-16 17:33:56

Thanks for replying to my question. I take most of what I read on the internet with a pinch of salt anyway. I just wanted to check whether I'd slipped into a parallel universe regarding the whole affiliate marketing thing.

One thing which has always puzzled me about CH is how anyone can use as many as acid toners as she does and still have a face! I use Clinique's twice a week and that's it. My skin can't take any more than that.

This thread is not accepting new messages.