Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Am I the only one who finds style blogs both great and depressing at the same time?

(7 Posts)
BentleysMam Mon 11-Jan-16 21:48:23

Great because I love to read them, and depressing because most bloggers seem to have so much money, loads of designer clothes, bags and shoes and live super glam lifestyles.

WipsGlitter Mon 11-Jan-16 21:55:19

I think they only highlight the good not the shitty bits of life. I think the "mummy bloggers" are more warts and all.

MNetter15 Mon 11-Jan-16 22:09:03

My sister's friend has a Facebook style page with a huge following.

She returns a lot of the items and is also given things for free, to promote.

I've known her for a few years and think It's bizarre! She just got lucky I guess confused

louloubelle2 Mon 11-Jan-16 23:29:39

The vast majority are professional bloggers, paid to advertise, so don't own half what they wear. Think of them as you would adverts in a fashion magazine. A lot of the rest want to be professional so but just for the photo then return. Genuine diary bloggers are a rare find.

It is impossible to tell if someone is happy from a photo and completely ridiculous to assume they are because they can afford expensive clothes then take photos of them. I would imagine the happiness ratio is about the same as any other job, these people aren't immune to everyday worries and stress.

homebythesea Mon 11-Jan-16 23:41:50

Not sure which ones you read Bentley - ones I like seem fairly ordinary tbh

Schoolgatestyle, Susiesoso, midlifechic, myfashionableforties, mymidlifefashion

All high street stuff, wearable, fairly ordinary lifestyles

Floisme Tue 12-Jan-16 07:00:57

I don't ready them any more. I got sick of the undeclared PR. At least when I get an email from Johnny Boden I know what his game is.

burnishedsilver Tue 12-Jan-16 08:08:33

It's like Facebook. You just see little snippets that makes it look like everyone has these wonderful, glamorous , exciting lives. It's not real. It's just editing. Everyone has their own problems.

I like fashion blogs. They're superficially entertaining. I don't look for a deeper meaning in them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: