Talk

Advanced search

Novice DIY hair bleaching

(8 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoneyDragon Sun 10-Jan-16 22:41:03

I use anything that says x8 lift on it and leve it on till I get the lift I want. The condition lots and trim my frazzled ends if any.

Wouldn't use a silver toner as that would then bugger the pink toner.

Home hairdresser would be loads cheaper to do full head bleach.

Add up what one or two boxes of highlife bleach and the Rose toner would cost and it may be the same

SavoyCabbage Sun 10-Jan-16 22:42:04

I used bleach London with their own toner afterwards. You need the toner to get rid of the yellowness.

Mine was a bit on the blue side after the toner which was my own fault as I told my preteen dd to go in the shower and she didn't get out again and I left the toner on too long...

The blueness went after I washed it twice.

Anyway, I do recommend it. It definitely works. My hair is quite a dark brown.

IsadoraQuagmire Mon 11-Jan-16 13:59:19

I've never bleached my own hair (already light blonde) but I know that brown hair will go through an orange stage when bleached (just as part of the lightening process)
Have you seen this website? www.hairdyeforum.com
They have lots of really knowledgeable members there who bleach their own hair, mostly to use bright or pastel colors afterwards.
There's lots of info on there you might find helpful, or you could join and ask specific questions smile

Floowho Mon 11-Jan-16 16:58:29

The rose toner only really lasts 3 washes, and fades really quickly. You need loads from the bottle too, as it is more like a stain, than a dye.

Tate15 Mon 11-Jan-16 17:13:00

Have a Google at this
www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Colourants/Semi-Permanent/Scott-Cornwall-Decolour-Stripper-105ml/p/499708

beautyadoration Tue 19-Jan-16 16:09:01

When I was around 15-19 I messed around with my hair so much and it completely ruined it. It's taken me years to get it back to being healthy.

I wouldn't recommend doing this, but if you are going to do it then know that it won't completely lift in the first bleach, you'll have to bleach it again and again and it will go lots of awful shades of orange and eventually you will bleach it enough that it will be a light yellow, this is the stage where I'd add the toners to tone down the yellow and then add the pink.

You'll need to use a strong peroxide to get a good lift, which will leave your hair dry and knotty and impossible to style. You'll then have to find a good toner. I've used the Touch of Silver products and they never made a big difference when my hair had yellow tones. I went over the yellow with an ash blonde dye from Nice & Easy which left a really nice natural blonde, but if you do this make sure to get a shade lighter than you actually want because when you've bleached your hair it absorbs more dye so can turn out very dark.

If you take your time and do it once every two weeks, this should help to keep your hair in a decent condition. Make sure you buy lots of conditioner and massage it into your hair and sleep with it on as a hair mask 3-4 times a week.

Is brown your natural colour or is that dye? If it is your natural colour, it should be easier to get to the yellow stage to put on the pink. If you've dyed your hair brown, it will be more difficult.

When I've bleached I've used the 40 vol peroxide and bleach sachets from Jerome Russell which you can buy in Superdrug.

I love the La Riche Directions colours :-) you can get them for around £2.00 on eBay with free postage. Do a strand test, if the pink turns out too dark mix it in with a white conditioner and apply to your hair that way for a softer colour.

I'm not an expert, but since I've bleached my hair around 25 times, I thought I'd share my thoughts. If you have any questions just let me know and I'll try my best to reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now