Why some young people look much older than they are?

(66 Posts)
marghini Sun 10-Jan-16 22:22:02

This past week I suddenly started noticing that most of my coworkers and friends (both men and women) look much older than they really are.

While they are all in their late 20s/ early 30s, most of them have pretty deep lines, crows feet, visibly dry skin, bad posture and shape and generally not youthful physical appearance.

I wonder if this has anything to do with bad lifestyle (sun exposure, bad diet, alcohol, smoking) or if it is normal to show signs of aging as such a young age. Perhaps I look much older than I am too confused

Any thought?

expatinscotland Sun 10-Jan-16 22:24:55

I look older than I am. I've had a hard life with a lot of bad shit thrown at me. But hey, people feel better judging and feeling better about themselves by assuming I drink too much, smoke, etc. hmm

WhyDoesGastonBark Sun 10-Jan-16 22:26:49

Drugs, drink and partying- some of my crowd from school who is rarely see nowdays look awful for our late 20s due to the aforementioned.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Sun 10-Jan-16 22:33:45

Perhaps your workplace just has bad lighting.

mudandmayhem01 Sun 10-Jan-16 22:34:04

Who are you comparing them to,celebrities with professionally applied make up or airbrushed images? Also I think life is harder for young people these days, wages are at a 20 year real time low , if you have a job hours are long or there is the stress of being unemployed. I am glad I am not in my 20s these days!

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 10-Jan-16 22:39:01

I do think people keep their partying lifestyles later these days than they used to. People used to settle down and get married and have kids younger so maybe curbed the partying at a younger age . Combine that with then having kids at an older age with all the sleepless nights that brings and you potentially have 25 years of lack all nighters! Bound to give people a few crows feet. grin

Believeitornot Sun 10-Jan-16 22:42:41

Boozing, terrible air con, stress....

CoperCabana Sun 10-Jan-16 22:43:21

You sound a bit nasty tbh, whether you look young for your age or no.
flowers expat.

variousthings Sun 10-Jan-16 22:52:25

Life is fucking stressful for young people

Maybe it's showing on their faces

And yes, the older the person I know, the less stressed they are

AlwaysBeYourself Sun 10-Jan-16 23:10:56

More chemicals in makeup, beauty products, fake tan, face creams. Less real food and more processed food. Just a thought.

WilLiAmHerschel Sun 10-Jan-16 23:45:27

I think it also depends on genetics. I had a lot of difficulties in my life and spent most of my late teens and very early twenties drunk /on drugs but I look young for my age. I don't think I've met many people who look older than their age though. Most people look about the age they are IMO. Maybe your expectations are skewed.

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 23:50:35

Genetics helps. Dad looked really young for his age - could've passed for 20 years younger.

I was on the same track but have have a few bloody awful patches (well one huge long one for the last 16 years with the odd patch of normality) and I now look like Methuselah's granny.

Justmuddlingalong Sun 10-Jan-16 23:51:55

Perhaps they got nice, less judgmental dispositions instead of youthful looks.

marghini Sun 10-Jan-16 23:54:37

justmuddingalong how is me noticing some people show signs of premature aging and wondering why judgemental?

I didn't say anything offensive about them, just wondering whether it is common to show signs of aging at a young age.

burnishedsilver Sun 10-Jan-16 23:55:42

Maybe they all had in laws staying over Christmas. It's certainly taken its toll on my appearance and posture. It has drained my will to live.

expatinscotland Sun 10-Jan-16 23:56:28

'and I now look like Methuselah's granny.'

No way! I am his granny grin, step aside.

expatinscotland Sun 10-Jan-16 23:57:56

It's the whole 'wondering' if it's from their 'bad lifestyle'. hmm

Justmuddlingalong Mon 11-Jan-16 00:02:06

You are commenting on people's appearance, skin, posture and shape. But you're not being judgmental, no?

NameChanger22 Mon 11-Jan-16 00:05:48

I think working too hard, stress and having children make you age fastest.

AlwaysBeYourself Mon 11-Jan-16 00:15:47

I don't think the OP is being judgemental. I have often thought the same thing of my childrens generation. They wear such heavy foundation, primers etc and they look much older than my friends did at their age.

Justmuddlingalong Mon 11-Jan-16 00:30:17

The OP is not commenting on heavy make up though.She is querying if a bad lifestyle is responsible for pretty deep lines, crows feet, visibly dry skin, bad posture and shape and generally not youthful physical appearance. She is pointing out perceived flaws in her workmates.

Destinysdaughter Mon 11-Jan-16 01:39:36

Too much MacDonalds!

heartyrebel Mon 11-Jan-16 07:48:17

LOL mumsnet is very sensitive these days. I'ts probably all that unhealthy living OP, cant be all the sun exposure though, like us Southern Hemisphere folks with premature ageing

KwickNC Mon 11-Jan-16 07:52:20

Who are you to judge lifestyle you don't know what's going on with them

Floisme Mon 11-Jan-16 08:18:41

I'm not sure why the op's getting such a hard time. People are always talking about ageing on here and I've seen far more offensive posts than hers pass without comment.

Anyway my take: you say they look older than they are; I say, this is what your late 20s and 30s can look like. Ageing starts while you're still young; it's part of life and I think Photoshop and airbrushing have a lot to answer for in giving young people unrealistic expectations.

But yes, smoking, sun, booze, a hard life and stress can all take their toll too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now