Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a classic handbag?

(23 Posts)
BuggersMuddle Sun 10-Jan-16 19:24:02

I'm looking for a mid-sized, mid to dark brown handbag in a reasonably classic (but not granny) style. Ideally conker or darker brown. The sort of thing that would fit in with the 'how to look expensive' thread grin

Tote or one shoulder (can't do cross body due to big boobs).

You'd think this would be easy, but having trawled the sales everything I've found is either too yellow, £££ or (IMO) doesn't look the money.

I like things like the classic Mulberry Bayswater and [[http://www.gucci.com/fi/styles/362968AZB0N2548# this Gucci hobo] but would find it hard to justify spending that much on a handbag (in particular, while I have some Mulberry stuff, I think the Bayswater is eye-wateringly expensive for what is essentially an unlined leather bag.

On the other hand, at the slightly cheaper end, I know Michael Kors have loads, but they just seem a bit too popular atm.

Budget is ideally about £350-£500.

Am beginning to think I'm looking for a price point that doesn't exist. Is there something between Gucci prices and the ubiquitous Michael Kors, or am I looking for the impossible?

Kennington Sun 10-Jan-16 19:28:38

Coach
Mimi berry
Mansur Gavriel
Are all in your price range and are classic
I would avoid MK just because there are so many others about

MoonDuke Sun 10-Jan-16 19:33:01

Hah that thread has made me want a new bag too!!! grin

BuggersMuddle Sun 10-Jan-16 20:01:10

Ooh those Mansur Gavriel ones look like the sort of thing I'm after.

There is a Coach concession in town, but I didn't see anything there. Will take another look as I suspect the new season stuff is just coming in.

lavendersun Sun 10-Jan-16 20:06:28

I like Tusting - I have got this bag in dark brown but I can't see it listed

www.tusting.co.uk/kimbolton-tote-caramel-saddle-leather

If you liked it/any of their bags enough to ask they would probably make one in the colour you wanted.

cressetmama Sun 10-Jan-16 21:39:32

On Ebay, look for Lambertson Truex. It doesn't exist now because the founders were recruited/bought to set up Tiffany's leather goods business, but their bags were beautifully made in Italy and are still lovely if you find one in good nick. I paid £80 for a bag that would have cost four figures earlier this year, Some wear, true, but nothing that wouldn't have happened if you had owned it from new.

Blingygolightly Sun 10-Jan-16 21:47:10

I have been admiring this Tory Burch bag. It sort of reminds me of a mulberry but at a fraction of the price. I think it's a lovely classic bag.

BennyPoo Sun 10-Jan-16 21:59:33

A great website for nearly new designer bags is npnbags.co.u. The owner Shian absolutely guarantees that the bags are authentic, and explains each one in detail. Be warned though...it is very addictive!

liinyo Sun 10-Jan-16 22:31:21

There is a shop just off the Kings Road does great leather bags at very reasonable prices. The average tote is around £120 (as I recall, I haven't been there for a while) It is called Vanilla Paris and if you google it, they also have a website you can order from. Might be worth a try.

BuggersMuddle Sun 10-Jan-16 23:30:20

Quite like the Tory Burch too and the Tusting. I'm not sure Edinburgh is great for bag shopping so good to see some other online options.

I should have probably added that I could buy the Mulberry (or similar), in case anyone wants to convince me that it's a worthwhile investment buy (an unconvinced, obvs, or our have bought it).

lavenderhoney Sun 10-Jan-16 23:46:54

I have a few mulberrys but I think Dickens and jones have lovely bags - and in the sale at House of Fraser, you can pick up an absolute bargain. I bought a fabulous bag from there last year- leather and perfect for work . Big enough for an iPad and all the tech but clearly a hand bag Lady Bracknell would be proud ofsmile

Cheesymonster Mon 11-Jan-16 08:42:27

Would you consider a preowned Bayswater? There are a few websites that sell them, I have a preowned Alexa.

BuggersMuddle Mon 11-Jan-16 20:15:56

Cheesymonster Not sure about Ebay, but your post has reminded me that there's a second hand bag shop near me, which might be worth a look.

Blingygolightly Mon 11-Jan-16 20:49:24

Buggers, I have 3 mulberrys. Mitzy hobo is one of my favourites - it's roomy and not too heavy. I use it as an everyday bag. I then have 2 bayswaters. One is grey suede. Stunning bag, very light. However I only ever use it on days that I know it won't rain. I tend to use it for work. Finally, I have the traditional oak Bayswater. It is a heavy bag. It can be used for both formal and informal. Most people I know use it for work (the train carriage is full of them!) but I tend to use it as a casual bag, as it goes nicely with jeans, jacket, shirt, boots smart casual combo. As to whether it's worth it, I think of whether I would buy it again at full price. Answer is yes for the Mitzy (£600-ish) and the suede Bayswater (£1200, although this was a present) and it depends for the oak Bayswater. I always wanted it but felt that price had been over inflated, so eventually I got it for £600 on brand alley. Hope that helps!!

Boosiehs Mon 11-Jan-16 20:51:22

FURLA!!!!!!

Super quality, great leather and expensive looking.

Www.furla.com

BatteryOperatedBoyfriend Mon 11-Jan-16 20:53:09

The factory shop near Bath has Bayswaters for about £550.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 11-Jan-16 21:12:22

I have a tremendous Hermes Birkin knock-off from Vanilla Paris liinyo but I once took it to a business meeting where someone had an actual real Birkin and I felt a bit blush!

I have a few leather bags from Dunmore Scotland, lovely quality and very classic, understated designs. They are mainly online but, if I read this right and you are in Edinburgh, they are also available in a shop in Ocean Terminal but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called!

Topazandpearl Mon 11-Jan-16 21:23:01

I can highly recommend The Bridge, Italian-made and great quality.

KateSpadeAddict Mon 11-Jan-16 21:26:15

Would you consider a pre-owned Mulberry Roxanne in oak or chocolate? I recently snapped one up off eBay and love it. Much better quality than what mulberry sells these days I think!

That or I am going to recommend you look at fossil, good prices and fab quality grin

KanyesVest Mon 11-Jan-16 21:28:44

I agree with Boosiehs. I just bought the Furla Liz and it's the most perfect of perfect bags.

Cheesymonster Mon 11-Jan-16 21:30:36

I wouldn't buy on eBay Buggers . I used a website called thefinerthingsaberdeen.co.uk

Or you could try naughtipidginsnest.co.uk

KanyesVest Mon 11-Jan-16 21:41:43

I got my bag on brand alley, as suggested by someone here. Highly recommend it.

didireallysaythat Mon 11-Jan-16 22:37:07

Nice bags here ! I'm also in the market for one to take a laptop. I have been umming and erring about getting another catwalk bag (last one was stolen). While the bags on the thread are great, the prices are not what I was expecting - so now I can justify buying another catwalk as something similar from somewhere else is going to cost 2-5 times more !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now