Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear to work when it's cold?

(36 Posts)
Twinklestar2 Sun 10-Jan-16 17:12:27

I was freezing on Friday and it's just going to get colder. I had on a vest, sleeveless top and a jacket over the top. And I was still cold
What do you wear?

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 17:20:06

I usually layer up. I hate the cold and have quite a walk/wait at cold train stations and bus stops, but work with lizards (not actual ones, just people who are always cold).

Trousers, tights, long sleeved vest top (I love primark!), top, fancy scarf, cardi, jacket, coat. I wear boots and change to girly shoes when I get there.

Also wooly hat and just scrape my hair back.

DelphiniumBlue Sun 10-Jan-16 17:24:36

A sleeveless top is never going to keep you warm - get long sleeved!
In general, removable layers work for me, and a light but warm coat for outside if you're travelling by anything other than car.
Is the temperature constant once you are inside at work?
For me, thin but warm jumpers/ cardigans - cashmere or merino, and a nicescarf - my neck is noticeably colder since having my hair cut - work. I can get away with jeans and even uggs on cold days, but I guess this would be too casual for most work places. If I couldn't wear uggs I'd be getting sheepskin liners for my boots.
I'd be looking at wool content in trousers, and possibly fleece lined opaque tights if cold was a problem, and lots of layers on the top half.

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 17:28:05

I find if your neck/throat is warm the rest is OK. I have a few nice silky scarves that keep me insulated, also some pashminas I can roll around me when it gets nippy (when the boss stomphs through and turns the temp down to 0).

winterinmadeira Sun 10-Jan-16 17:29:40

Wool skirt, thick tights and then layers for upper body - long sleeve t/s with a jumper over the top. Wool trousers are also a great idea for this time of year.

Always a thick, warm puffer coat too.

Twinklestar2 Sun 10-Jan-16 17:44:19

I have a 10 min walk to the station, then a 45 min tube journey, so will look into layers and dig out my warm scarves I think! Hate the cold confused

SuperFlyHigh Sun 10-Jan-16 18:05:02

I generally wear knitted dresses, knee length skirt with sweater (fine knit or a bit warmer) and as of next week my suede knee high boots with fleece inside, plus socks but these will be heat tech. Heattech tops under sweaters too.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 10-Jan-16 18:16:34

Look at base layers in sports direct - lovely bottoms that keep the wind out and bargain prices. I used to slip them off at work and put on again at home time. Look like tights with a long coat

burnishedsilver Sun 10-Jan-16 18:18:00

It's winter. At the very least you need sleeves!

Abraid2 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:20:11

Twinkle, no surprises you weren't warm enough! That is not sensible dressing for winter at all.

Nothing is as warm as cashmere or Merino wool. Uniglo is good. You need a layer of wool,with long sleeves.

Ughnotagain Sun 10-Jan-16 18:25:50

It's winter, why the chuff are you wearing a sleeveless top?! confused

originalmavis Sun 10-Jan-16 18:26:50

Maybe because the tube is packed, stinky and sweaty?

Rinceoir Sun 10-Jan-16 18:29:04

I work in a hospital, it's boiling all year around. So I usually wear a 3/4 sleeve top with skirt/trousers or a dress, but layer up with cardigan, coat, gloves, scarf etc for commute.

Nettletheelf Sun 10-Jan-16 18:51:04

I second the cardigan layer, then you can remove it at work. Also the big scarf...a warm neck makes a big difference. I have several cashmere and silk pashminas that I alternate as scarves. I even use them in summer because the east coast trains are Baltic in the mornings even in July...they set the air con to freezing in anticipation of the temperature of the train at 5 pm!

Twinklestar2 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:04:34

I thought that a vest, sleeveless top, jacket and scarf (with my coat over the top, jeans and fleece lined ankle boots) would be warm enough but looking back the scarf was chiffon so no wonder I was cold! grin

Artandco Sun 10-Jan-16 19:07:14

Woolen skirt or dress, with warm tights and vest underneath. Cashmere jumper ontop.

Euphemia Sun 10-Jan-16 19:13:35

I live in Scotland so I wear clothes like yours in summer! (Not joking!)

Layers, definitely. Wool or cashmere cardi - easy to slip off if you get too warm.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 10-Jan-16 19:19:27

vest, long sleeved top, cardie, scarf.
Layers added and removed according to which bit of the hospital I'm in, as the heating system is somewhat idiosyncratic. Oh, and thermal socks.

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Jan-16 19:19:29

I put the fleece liner in my hi vis.

maybemyrtle Sun 10-Jan-16 19:30:00

Layers. Silk and merino.

cheapskatemum Sun 10-Jan-16 19:30:50

Following with interest, as I've been cold at work over the last couple of weeks and it's supposed to be getting colder next week. However, wool, cashmere etc not an option as I do care work and I don't fancy trying to wash it after a heavy duty shift. I've noticed the main problem is co workers and clients leaving external doors open!

StillYummy Sun 10-Jan-16 19:51:27

I have a huge scarf I can use as a rug over my lap

Euphemia Sun 10-Jan-16 21:21:58

M&S thermal camis are lovely - a soft, cosy layer without bulkiness.

Ememem84 Sun 10-Jan-16 21:34:59

Our office is like a sauna so I'm still in sleeveless tops. But with cardigans coat scarf gloves etc for outside.

Twinklestar2 Sun 10-Jan-16 23:13:37

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions.

For tomorrow I've dug out a black roll neck jumper with a corduroy skirt, tights and fleeced lined knee highs. Am searching for jumpers on the net too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now