Talk

Advanced search

a day dress for a apple!

(29 Posts)
Donge13 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:24:35

Any of you stylish lot seen a day dress anywhere suitable for a size 16 Apple? And I mean a proper full on Apple tumblush

EssexMummy1234 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:53:10

:-)

I have this www.zalando.co.uk/anna-field-jersey-dress-navy-an621c0js-k11.html

wear with good underwear and some kind of heels.

CeeceeBloomingdale Fri 08-Jan-16 21:11:18

I'm a size 14 apple and that dress wouldn't work on me at all. I need something shaped like this although I'd prefer a slash neck personally
www.cosstores.com/gb/Women/Sale/Dresses_Skirts/Straight-cut_wool_dress/7060348-35793010.1#c-24480

7to25 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:14:31

Apple here. That jersey dress would look horrible on me. Cos dress a bit much but that is the idea.

FellOutOfBedTwice Fri 08-Jan-16 21:15:20

That first dress would definitely work on me but I'm not an apple- I'm an upside down pear! Love it though, just ordered it in red.

CreviceImp Fri 08-Jan-16 21:23:58

This is well cut for apples / H shapes but it is true to size- it's from Next. Good weight cotton and keeps its shape. Maybe a bit casual but it could be dressed up.

EssexMummy1234 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:25:30

Weird - I would look pregnant with the Cos dress, nothing disguising the tummy there - are there two kinds of apple?

CreviceImp Fri 08-Jan-16 21:26:33

John Lewis Capsule has some knitted dresses and stuff shaped for apples too. I have these two and they are flattering.

PuppyMouse Fri 08-Jan-16 21:28:39

I am an apple and I would look like a barrel in all of these dresses bar the zalando first one? Are there variations of apple?

CreviceImp Fri 08-Jan-16 21:28:54

Some apple shapes are bigger around the middle than their hips and some are shaped more straight up and down, hence H definition. What they share is the need to deflect from a non-existent waist.

CreviceImp Fri 08-Jan-16 21:30:53

I am a H shape by the way so maybe that is why you can't see my suggestions working. Better to go up a size if you are more Apple shaped to skim the bastard.

EssexMummy1234 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:34:50

Crevice - do you hide your neck at all times?

CreviceImp Fri 08-Jan-16 21:38:57

Weird question. Er no but I am not one for putting it all out there. I think an element of mystery is far nicer. grin

I do wear the Next dress unbuttoned with a layering vest underneath as it creates a better line.

I do think cleavage is tacky though -it's not something I'm comfortable with...

HixieRice Fri 08-Jan-16 21:51:03

Great thread!
I'd suit the Zalando one best, but it looks a bit shiny sad
I like the Next one, but the waist is in a weird place.
Has anyone seen a nice denim shirt dress? Tailored, not belted!
I'm quite tempted by this just now

Donge13 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:54:31

Love that dress hix . Feel I am to large in the belly for any of these blush

CreviceImp Fri 08-Jan-16 21:56:23

The 'waist' is hip level on me in the Next one. It doesn't cling so is very flattering and has well positioned pockets. Put it this way I have now bought three, two charcoal and one green because it is the perfect shape for me.It looks great layered up under a slouchy knit too and works with tights/ankle boots, leather leggings and leggings/converse for a more casual look.

Donge13 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:58:04

Will have to pop to next to try it on

CreviceImp Fri 08-Jan-16 22:54:38

Right. I have been brave and bungled it on over my pyjamas to give you a sense of what it looks like. Excuse photo but it will give you the gist 🙂

friedafilmer Sat 09-Jan-16 05:43:59

Fit and flares. Skater dresses.

Donge13 Sat 09-Jan-16 10:24:14

Could I ask what everyone thinks is a flattering outfit for a apple? A dress? Jeans? As a size 16 Apple I rarely wear anything other than jeans and a long top, I don't even own a skirt! I'm trying to shift my bellyblush but I am just really bored with how I dress at the moment.

HixieRice Sat 09-Jan-16 17:11:14

That's the million dollar question! How about cowl neck jumpers (the slouchy ones) in fine knits, bubble-hem Tshirts....? I'm struggling to think of anything right now sad
I found your dress Crevice (yay!) but it did cling on me (boo) so I wasn't convinced and they didn't have the next size up. The charcoal was a lovely colour though!

HixieRice Sun 10-Jan-16 11:43:00

Ok, I've had a proper look at my wardrobe and I can't identify one single item-with-a-name (ie skater, bodycon) that suits apples IMO. Shopping is just luck and stamina! All of my dresses have complicated seams and structure (the dress with just bust darts is the least flattering) and if they have a waist it must be subtle and in exactly the right place to avoid looking wide or pregnant.
My recent approach is to buy see-through (chiffon or holey) in the hope that clothes skim the fucker while giving the impression that I'm skinnier underneath. Not sure if it's working!

soupmaker Sun 10-Jan-16 12:00:03

I'm an apple, size 16/18. I find it really hard to get away from skinny jeans and t-shirt combinations. However I have a few day dresses. The best one is a denim tunic which hits my knees - worn with bright tights and heeled ankle boots. I wear knee length dark denim skirts for work with fitted jackets which work too. I avoid anything knitted unless it's a cardigan or oversized jumper in cashmere! Go for heavier non-clingy fabrics. I wear large scarfs a lot too. Helps hide the tummy. I have good legs so try and highlight them so my tummy gets ignored.

Donge13 Sun 10-Jan-16 12:23:19

Thanks hix and soup. Will have a look for denim tunic, already have loads of scarf type things.
Do you think a boyfriend Jean would be more flattering than a skinny?

HixieRice Mon 11-Jan-16 07:04:04

I'm lost with all the different jean types sad I have some from Next that are Girlfriend I think - so a bit skinnier than Boyfriend? And they seem so baggy! Not sure they're very flattering, and I can't figure out how to wear boots with them in the winter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now