Talk

Advanced search

Do you think it's odd for a woman to wear a tie as part of formal business attire?

(15 Posts)
InTheBox Fri 08-Jan-16 12:11:48

Just curious really. I wore ties as part of my school uniform many decades years ago but obviously that tailed off. As part of formal attire men can and do wear ties as a natural development from their formal school uniform but why don't we see many women wearing ties? I have a colleague that does and she always looks polished to perfection but then again she's built somewhat like a model so she'd look great in a bin bag tbh.

Bluecheese22 Fri 08-Jan-16 12:16:24

I think I'd find it a little strange tbh, though can't really explain why!

SevenOfNineTrue Fri 08-Jan-16 12:18:45

I think some see it as a 'man' piece of clothing.

BYOSnowman Fri 08-Jan-16 12:18:48

ties on a busty lady don't look very good

most men in my office wear their ties as little as possible so would probably raise an eyebrow at someone choosing to wear one!

RaisingSteam Fri 08-Jan-16 12:21:02

I should think ok if the person has confidence to carry it off but it is a bit of an alternative look.

I miss my school tie and could tie a damn good double Windsor.

SwedishEdith Fri 08-Jan-16 12:23:45

Oh, I used to wear ties when I was in my teens. Thought I was Annie Hall. I think a loose one can look stylish on a young Diane Keaton lookalike the right person.

MaybeDoctor Fri 08-Jan-16 12:27:07

In early episodes of SATC Miranda is shown wearing one.

VintageDresses Fri 08-Jan-16 12:28:49

I think on most women it would look dated. We did it in the 80s

On someone generally accepted to be young and trendy it could look young and trendy

LadyMaryofDownt0n Fri 08-Jan-16 12:30:17

No it's quite fashionable, esp on the body type you've described. I couldn't carry it of.

spaceyboo Fri 08-Jan-16 13:11:36

Long skinny mens ties can look really good on tall lean women, as long as they're worn a bit sloppily and as part of a suit.

Merguez Fri 08-Jan-16 14:40:01

Weird, '80s throwback.

What's wrong with a nice scarf?

InTheBox Fri 08-Jan-16 14:47:06

So the idea is that to make it work you have to be tall and lean i.e minimal of breast! Which in fact describes my colleague to a T! puts down tie

BYOSnowman Fri 08-Jan-16 14:57:42

Does she wear a white shirt,black cigarette trousers,black jacket (slightly small with sleeves pushed up), strait black heels and the tie?

InTheBox Fri 08-Jan-16 15:09:02

BYOSnowman Strange that you should guess that! She tends to wear a white shirt or any other collared shirt (with tie) and grey cigarette trousers with varying colours of blazer.

BYOSnowman Fri 08-Jan-16 15:10:43

It's a 'look' straight from the magazines!

I couldn't pull it off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now