Talk

Advanced search

dress size - do you lie

(48 Posts)
Murphyslaw21 Fri 08-Jan-16 09:33:55

The reason I'm asking is I am a 16 but always wear 18 as I like bigger clothes. B

My friends seem to be the same size as me but squeeze into a 14. Now just because you can do it up does this mean it fits.

I know one lady that wears size 12 tops and is clearly a 16

What size are you and what size clothes do you wear ?

angelos02 Fri 08-Jan-16 09:39:43

I don't see how someone that is a size 16 can fit into a size 12.

I know what you mean though. Really bugs me when celebs say they are a size 10 when that is a teeny tiny size and they clearly are not.

ThatsHowYouGetAnts Fri 08-Jan-16 09:44:04

I'm about a 10 top and 12 bottom. I hate things being tight and restrictive so tend to buy up - some of my knits are 14 or even 16 as I like them slouchy. Bottoms are more difficult as I'm extremely pear-shaped and can't seem to find anything to fit at the best of times, so I'm constantly either squeezed somewhere or hoiking them up.

no,. i don't lie, if something is a 16, i say so. i don't advertise what size things are but will be honest if i'm asked

Murphyslaw21 Fri 08-Jan-16 09:44:37

It's tops like jumpers and vests which are stretchy. But they are skin tight.

museumum Fri 08-Jan-16 09:46:30

I have clothes that currently fit well in a 12 (lots not just one thing) and 14 and I've tried on 14s that were tight.
I say I'm 14 but god it varies from item to item.

GinIsTheBestChristmasSpirit Fri 08-Jan-16 09:47:12

I'm a 14/16. Can fit in a 14 but usually get 16 for comfort and because tbh it looks better. Squeezing into a 14 does me no favours.

I don't get the lying thing. People aren't blind, mostly women in particular can guess based on their own size.

angelos02 Fri 08-Jan-16 09:56:18

I think height makes a massive difference. Someone tall (5'9 for example) will look slimmer than someone short even if they are the same clothes size so it is sometimes hard to guess other people's size.

Dancingwiththediamonddogs Fri 08-Jan-16 10:03:19

I don't lie because I have no clue what size I actually am. I have bottoms in anything from an 8 to a 10...although I'm sure if I went into top shop I'd be a 12. I have tops and dresses that fit in 10's and 1 old favorite that is apparently a 16 and I think looks ok.

Sizes are all a bit meaningless, you almost have to say I'm a 'Karen Millen 8' or a 'Fat Face 6'.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Fri 08-Jan-16 10:12:27

I don't lie. And I don't care what the label says as long as it fits.

I'd say I'm a 10 as that's what most of my clothes are. Although I have stuff in 8s and 12s. The thing that annoys me is that in certain shops (yes, H&M, I mean you) I have to try everything on as the sizing is so random.

60sname Fri 08-Jan-16 10:15:02

I think it's self-delusion rather than deliberate lying. Re sizing disparities, with the exception of M&S and Gap, all my clothes are either a 10, 12 or M; I don't have these outlying sizes in my wardrobe. If I buy a 14 because I prefer a looser fit than the item is designed for then I would say that if asked but that wouldn't make me a size 14.

spaceyboo Fri 08-Jan-16 10:19:56

I wear 14-16 and never lie. As I'm bottom heavy I can't cram myself into smaller sizes like some of my middle-heavy friends do. My sil has really narrow hips and a massive tummy so she wears size 10 jeans and buttons them under it - looks really bad. Then she boasts about how much 'slimmer' she is than me when she can't actually fit into any of my size 14 dresses.

AnnaMarlowe Fri 08-Jan-16 10:20:06

Lie to whom? Why would any of my friends need to know my dress size?

spaceyboo Fri 08-Jan-16 10:23:23

Angelos you're right. I'm nearly 5 7 and wear 14-16 and do look a lot slimmer than shorter friends who wear 10s and 12s.

burnishedsilver Fri 08-Jan-16 10:24:18

I wear whatever fits. The size changes depending on the brand.

WhyDoesGastonBark Fri 08-Jan-16 10:39:39

I am overweight. I see famous plus size models and bloggers who are much much bigger than me - have rolls like michelin man etc say they are the same dress size as me

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 08-Jan-16 10:41:44

I agree with 60s. It's self-delusion - if I don't admit it, it hasn't happened.

I don't talk about my dress size with people really, it doesn't tend to come up in conversation. I'm an 8 for pretty much everything but I'll buy a 6 or a 10 if it fits better.

Nothing is more unflattering than badly fitting clothes, whatever size you are.

Bonkerz Fri 08-Jan-16 10:44:01

I have a weird idea about my body. When I go into a shop alone I automatically pick up size 28/30 clothes. Always done it. Yes clothes are big and baggy but they are comfortable. When I take a friend with me I end up buying 22/24 and they fit nice and suit me better! I much prefer to go big and TBH if someone asks my dress size I tell them the bigger the better because it's not about size but about comfort for me.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Fri 08-Jan-16 10:48:28

I'm 5'8 and a size 14 on the top and a size 16 on the bottom. People don't believe that that is my size if they ask.
I wear size 18 coats as I like more room and if something will be clingy I'll buy the next size up.
I don't lie. What's the point? People have eyes. grin

raisin3cookies Fri 08-Jan-16 10:55:21

I am still wrapping my head around the fact that I wear size 12 in most things (a 10 on top sometimes). I lost a lot of weight last year, used to be a size 18/20. I have been honest with people when they've asked about my weight loss - I don't weigh myself but I do tell them my dress size. I really don't mind.

velourvoyageur Fri 08-Jan-16 12:01:49

I take a six mostly, sometimes a 4 or an 8, and have some men's medium jumpers that I really like. But jeans are a six.
My parents are both exactly the same build and I don't have much of an appetite so it's expected.

If I gained weight and couldn't fit into my clothes I don't think I'd be very happy about it. I've always been thin. But lie about it? No....everyone can see you, and dress sizes are notoriously unreliable, so it wouldn't achieve anything. If I estimate someone to be a 12 and they tell me that actually they're wearing a 16, it doesn't change how I think of her in any way.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 08-Jan-16 12:34:01

I'm generally a 10 top and a 12 bottom, and don't care who knows it - people tend to be surprised that I wear a 12 jeans/skirt, which in turn surprises me, because I have BIG hips and arse. I think my small waist - v pear-shaped figure - creates a bit of an optical illusion...

ZaZathecat Fri 08-Jan-16 13:05:09

I don't lie cause M&S do it for me. They say I am a perfect size 12.

JaceLancs Fri 08-Jan-16 13:42:29

I would say I'm a size 16, but sometimes buy 18 for extra comfort
I think it varies massively though as I have a small waist and if stretchy can get in quite small skirts and wide legged trousers - I have some in size 8 and 10
On the other hand slim fitting blouses or shirts can need up to a 22 to avoid straining across bust
I feel slimmer in slightly baggier clothes, however DD and DP are always telling me to buy smaller sizes to show off my hourglass n curves

Frostycake Fri 08-Jan-16 14:03:53

'Size' is irrelevant though isn't it? All shops have their own size depending on their target customer so it's meaningless. Most people seem to have a knack for sizing others up at a glance anyway so it's pointless to lie.

Of course, by 'sizing up' I mean guessing your measurements not dress size due to the above issue.

Some people will think a 40" hip is a 12, others will think it's a 14, others will think it's a 16.

We'd all be better off ditching sizes and just going by measurements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now