Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Good shops for tall lean DH who has long arms?

(15 Posts)
hippospot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:26:46

Ideally an actual shop not online because returns would be complicated (we don't live in the UK but he travels to London regularly).

He's struggling so much to find shirts and jumpers that fit his long arms without being ridiculously baggy in the body!

So many of the big & tall labels are no use as he's slender. 6'6" but only 34" waist.

Thanks in advance

bookwormbeagle Wed 06-Jan-16 14:29:54

I'm going to be interested in the responses you get, as we have the same issue for my DH. 6'4" long body, extra long arms and a 34" waist. Anything that fits in the arm length is massive in the chest area. He's not fat at all, but very atypical size wise.

Nottodaythanks1 Wed 06-Jan-16 14:30:54

Banana republic are good for long armed men! My husband also struggles with that problem and now only shops there.

PurpleDaisies Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:35

My dh is 6'4" with a 34in waist. He gets his suits and shirts mainly from Jaeger (outlet!). He's also had a lot of clothes from Gap.

hippospot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:42:34

This is great, thanks.

Doesn't help that DH loathes shopping and is inclined to give up after two shops in frustration. His wardrobe is shrinking!

I've just had a google and it seems that TM Lewin shirts have different sleeve lengths, so I think I'll encourage him to try there.

GinAndPhonics Wed 06-Jan-16 15:14:04

My dh has this problem. John Smedley jumpers are pretty much the only ones he'll buy now. There's a store in central London and concessions in several department stores.

Bargains to be found in the online outlet store too, once you know what you're after.

carrie74 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:20:38

My DH is 6'4", but 34
Waist too and he gets his jumpers from Superdry (L or XL). Work shirts (and suits) from C Tyrhitt(sp), which have extra long sleeves and can have trousers tailored from a 38 unfinished length.

Casually, we wears almost exclusively Avercrombie/Hollister/Superdry polo tops and a few Abercrombie shirts (but sleeves usually rolled up).

Banana Republic so so for him (a bit too much fabric around the middle).

SeasonalVag Wed 06-Jan-16 17:26:22

Mine has the same problem. Suits he gets made at slaters, usually Ted baker. Levis for jeans...they do 34/38. Gaps ok depending on the cut....and other than that...tkmaxx?

turkeyboots Wed 06-Jan-16 17:27:36

M and S used to do extra long arm shirts. My dad used to make an annual visit to the UK to buy work shirts from there, no where else had shirts which fit his arms otherwise.

Icklepickle101 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:29:37

My partner is 6"4 and 32" waist so I feel your pain!!

M & S are good for shirts for long arms, only discovered this week so am following for more ideas!

ThomasSofty Wed 06-Jan-16 19:02:44

TM Lewin are great! They can alter leg and sleeve length on suits, and the shirts (apart from casual shirts I think) come in several sleeve lengths too. Have always had really good service from them! Jumpers are tricky though, and something he always complains about. Traditional guernseys are usually long in the arms, and jumpers from Gant are quite good too.

splodgeness Mon 11-Jan-16 16:38:08

My Dh similar size, and always has his sleeves rolled up!. Unfortunately for the wallet he finds Ted Baker best. Also Gant. Some suit shops sell untailored length trousers, so you can have them taken up as you want them.

He has always said M&S is hopeless as longest trouser is 32, but I don;t think he knows about shirt sleeve length thing so will let him know, thanks.

hippospot Thu 14-Jan-16 14:34:03

Just to update - DH found shirts at TM Lewin that fit, and jumpers from Timberland and Tommy Hilfiger. Not cheap, even in the sale! But better than going naked...

ouryve Thu 14-Jan-16 14:39:22

I was going to suggest next, but he's not just tall, he's tall!

DH is only 5'10 but has really long arms and wide shoulders. He does find sleeve length a problem and is more comfortable in shirts that are a "tailored" fit. He just looks baggy, otherwise.

claptomania Thu 14-Jan-16 20:00:45

6'4'' gangly partner here. Loads of success with Swedish brand Wesc- they do good knitwear. Yes with long arms! I think Scandi stuff in general is good for tall chaps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now