Talk

Advanced search

Where to look for classic casual pieces that I wont be bored with after 2 wears?

(9 Posts)
mumofsnotbags Wed 06-Jan-16 07:06:08

In particular tops, which is what i struggle with the most, I live in various pairs of jeans in all colours, but have at most 3-4 tops/ jumpers that I wear constantly and are starting to show.

I bought a rush jumper in primark less than 2 weeks ago, i had nothing to wear on xmas day and so thought it would do, i hate it, it makes me look larger than I am due to the stripes. this seems to be my shopping style!.

So where do you go for casual stuff that wont look rubbish after 1 wash, looks stylish, and doesn't cost the earth.

I usually shop in next/ oasis/ warehouse. But there so high street and seem to be bored of them by the 2nd week. any recommendations greatly apreciated

Kennington Wed 06-Jan-16 07:10:44

Cold wash and iron your clothes - this will eek out the wear for longer.
M and s autograph range
Uniqlo
And other stories
COS

maybemyrtle Wed 06-Jan-16 09:15:51

Agree with Kennington. However do exercise caution with Other Stories, lovely things but the quality is not always amazing. I'd add H&M to this list, and Monki (from asos), they both do some great basics. Both are in the same group as Cos and Other Stories so there's a theme there.

Also, please don't buy anything because "it'll do"! If you don't actively like something then don't waste your money, you are unlikely to wear it. Try thinking about the sort of colours and shapes that suit you best and make you feel happy to wear. For example necklines. For me, V necks are iffy and crew necks are bad, but boat necks are great. Once you can start eliminating things it becomes a lot easier to find the treasure anywhere. Oh and be wary of viscose, creases dreadfully and doesn't always wash well bitter experience.

mrslebon Wed 06-Jan-16 10:12:44

I think you need to be checking the label for the composition/fabric that you are buying. Acrylic jumpers are usually cheap and nasty, whereas ones with more cotton content tend to last longer. Personally I'm not a huge fan of cashmere as it can be a faff to wash and I find it a bit itchy, but a cotton/cashmere mix can work well. I ALWAYS check the label before I buy and won't be anything that's acrylic or 100% polyester. The trouble is, stores like Primark and H&M tend to be full of acrylic and polyester, but occasionally, just occasionally, a little gem will turn up. H&M's Premium range is worth a look for example:

www2.hm.com/en_gb/ladies/shop-by-concept/premium-quality.html

everythingsgoingsouth Wed 06-Jan-16 10:20:53

have a look at the esprit website (and their sale is on) I've ordered tops/shirt/jumper , should arrive today hopefully.

louloubelle2 Wed 06-Jan-16 10:37:56

Sounds like your "that'll do shopping style" as you put it, is the problem, not where you shop. You need to slow down and really consider whether something is the perfect colour, style and fit before you part with your money.

If you have the time and can do so alone, take a couple of hours to go round the shops, not just your favourite ones but ones you don't normally go in. Go with a specific item in mind, so in your case, daytime tops to go with your jeans. Don't buy anything until you've looked at a lot and tried some one.

If you don't have time for that, then browse online, and search pinterest for casual looks on people who are a similar size and shape to you.

Also, agree with above, fabric content is important for longevity, as is washing and caring for them properly.

CreviceImp Wed 06-Jan-16 12:44:31

Assess you figure. Work out your shape and proportions and then research what suits your body type.

Next start with a capsule based around three/four neutrals. A good starting place might be navy, white,charcoal, taupe with tan accessories.

Work out what you already have and identify your wardrobe gaps. Bag up everything that doesn't work with this and store.

Buy the best you can afford. Add interest with scarves etc. Places worth looking for good basics - Jagaer outlet (seriously), John Lewis capsule, Boden, Next basics (vests etc and base layers), autograph and Phase Eight.

Look at the Vivieene Files for capsule ideas.

mumofsnotbags Thu 07-Jan-16 06:47:07

Thankyou all for your advice, I kn ow my problem is that I just browse online, rather than going out to try things on, hard to do though with a toddler in tow though.

I read a thread last year about capsule wardrobes so started putting mine together, I have stuck to the classics as mentioned above, cream/ tan/ navy/ white with tan and black leather bags from modalu being my presents at christmas. Its just the tops i'm lacking in, so off to have a nose through the sites you've all mentioned (most i've never heard of blush)

AuntieStella Thu 07-Jan-16 07:28:50

Try Woolovers for woollen tops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now