Talk

Advanced search

Graduation outfit

(10 Posts)
AliciaMayEmory Mon 04-Jan-16 08:42:42

I'm finally graduating at the age of 38 and have just had all my infomation through where it tells me I need to wear an outfit that has buttons on the front so that it's easier to attach the robes/cape to. I had forgotten about this and was going to wear a dress that I already had which has a high neckline, but no buttons, so no I am stumped! I know I could use a saftey pin, but I seem to remember that I did this at my first graduation many moons ago and it pulling the outfit quite a bit. I don't have any suits and don't really suit them as I'm tall and broad in the shoulders meaning that sleeve are never long enough. I'm also really flat chested so I find tops hard to buy. If anyone could direct me to some nice looks or outfit ideas I would be really grateful. I've scoured the usual high street shops but have come up with nothing. As I'm only wearing for the gradutation i don't want to spend too much. Probably around £100 for the outfit. I have plenty of shoes that I should be able to match to whatever I end up buying. I'm 5' 10" too so longer lengths are needed. Thanks in advance!

Favouritethings Mon 04-Jan-16 09:15:28

Watching with interest.. I graduate with the OU later this year and had no idea I would need an outfit with buttons!! Congrats on your upcoming graduation op

ajandjjmum Mon 04-Jan-16 09:17:34

DD wore a dress, but kept the robe in place with a safety pin clipped from the inside, so that it wasn't visible. She didn't have any problems, but I suppose that would depend upon the style of the dress.

Congratulations!

AliciaMayEmory Mon 04-Jan-16 13:38:25

Thanks both! Im very pleased all the studying is done done now, although am considering a post-grad course for september! I'm in town now, but can't find a thing. I look all wrong in formal wear! I'm usually casual and it just feels very unlike me to be trying on shirts and tailored skirts/dresses. Will continue the hunt.

slug Mon 04-Jan-16 14:43:26

To be honest, the button thing is a bit of a red herring. The robes are so heavy that they can pull your shirt out of your skirt. Far, far better to invest in a batch of small safety pins.

I work in a university and volunteer to help at graduation every year. I spend much of my time attaching robes to academics/students with a pocket full of safety pins. A pin on the shoulder is a much more secure anchor than a button on the front.

AliciaMayEmory Mon 04-Jan-16 22:31:03

Ahhh, that's great advice, Slug, thanks! I shall go back to my original dress idea and take a load of safety pins with me! Problem solved! smile

I'm also uni staff who does graduation every year.... And the pin through the loop at the front of the hood, and into the bit at the front of the bra (between your boobs!) is the best solution I've found. It won't pull your top/dress up, and I find it way more comfortable than on the shoulders. It survives all day and 2 graduation ceremonies I find!

SoWhite Tue 05-Jan-16 01:26:26

I've graduated 4 times - never worn a dress with buttons. They told me to each time, but I chose not to. It didn't make a scrap of difference.

Wear your original dress OP, you'll look lovely.

I wore a buttonless dress and used safety pins too, no issues.

AliciaMayEmory Tue 05-Jan-16 07:44:11

Brilliant, thanks all! Good to know I won't need to buy an outfit that I'll never wear again that can't even be seen under the robes! Out to buy safety pins today. I'm really looking forward to the ceremony, (as long as I don't trip up)! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now