going from full head bleach highlights to dark hair

(11 Posts)
beanhead24 Mon 04-Jan-16 00:06:36

Is it possible? How best to do it?

I have long, thick-ish hair but it's condition isn't great and I am SICK of my roots.

I am naturally dark blonde/mousey.

I have a LOT of highlights in - not too far off a full head colour really I suppose.

Please advise......smile

Favouritethings Mon 04-Jan-16 07:12:06

I have embraced the ombré and an growing my highlights out. It's all blended together well and my natural hair colour (dark blonde too) looks so shiny and feels so soft. My hair is bra strap length and my natural colour is near my collarbone, thinking about getting a sharp bob to lop off all the blonde now!

SparklyTinselTits Mon 04-Jan-16 07:17:56

I did it about 7 years ago smile my hair was so damaged from all the bleaching that I had to stop.
I had my entire hair dyed fire-engine red first. My hairdresser said that a dark colour straight into bright blonde can cause a greenish tinge, but the red underneath makes it more of a chcolatey colour. I left the red for a day and just didn't leave the house! Hairdresser came back the next day and put the brown colour on, and it turned out lovely smile

Plateofcrumbs Mon 04-Jan-16 07:26:24

I had my hair bleached blonde all over (natural hair colour is dark brown). I had it dyed back to my natural shade - I think hairdresser did something similar to sparkly by dying it red first (though covered it in brown in quick succession, I didn't have to leave the salon with red hair!).

My hair had a slight reddish tone in certain lights until the previously bleached part had grown out (and the condition of the previously bleached hair was terrible) - I had a short crop though so it didn't take too long to get rid of it.

Bodicea Mon 04-Jan-16 18:02:14

I embraced ombré. When I decided to go back to natural I had highlights put in a couple more appointments but each time went a big darker x

littleleftie Mon 04-Jan-16 18:43:56

I did it gradually - had more caramel and red highlights put in and went darker over about three months.

Be prepared to have to buy new make up!

HairySubject Mon 04-Jan-16 18:48:54

I went to red, I love it. I was sick of the roots with my blonde all over highlights too.

hollieberrie Mon 04-Jan-16 19:22:20

Oooh this is good timing, have exactly the same issue and hairdressers in 2 weeks. How do they do the ombre though? Do you need something put through your hair to make it look better? When i google ombre, it looks great, but my dark roots & blonde lengths just look awful... confused

wanderingwondering Mon 04-Jan-16 19:26:16

My hairdresser slapped a brown straight on over the blonde and it was fine-no green tinge!
She painted it on and left some of the blonde underneath and at the ends for an ombré sort of look.

Schmoozer Mon 04-Jan-16 19:27:43

I've done the same thing, whole head highlights to mocha brown
Hairdressers did it no problem, I love it !!

beanhead24 Mon 04-Jan-16 20:32:46

Thanks all, sounds like it may be possible then! Now I just have to decide if it will make me look like morticia Adams!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now