Seeking Mnsetters wisdom on dog-walking coat for middle-aged busty female

(18 Posts)
Slimmingcrackers Sun 03-Jan-16 16:59:28

Want to find a reasonably stylish but practical dog-walking coat (hopefully in the sales) before the cold weather comes (if it ever does).

Navy would be good and I like quilting and something light and warm (can't bear heavy coats)

But what on earth does one wear at my age without looking like a barrage balloon?

I have narrow shoulders which is a problem (because if it fits on the bust, it is too large on the shoulders)

I want it to be reasonably smart because I walk in town and country but it has to be practical too

And I can't wear anything with an elasticated waist because my bust line doesn't seem to correspond with anyone else's!!

And because I go out dog-walking three times a day, I am really trying to find something I like wearing!

I'm too old for parkas now

And big puffy North Face numbers (whilst fab) make me look too large

Any ideas anyone please?

Slimmingcrackers Sun 03-Jan-16 17:01:05

Oh yes, sorry to be so prescriptive, but I over-heat easily nowadays too ...and only look good in reasonably classic things ...

would be v. grateful for any help

citychick Mon 04-Jan-16 01:24:20

Have you looked in M&S?
I have a long ( knee length) shower proof, navy coat with hood that I used to wear to walk our ( now gone ) dog. I still wear it. It gets lots of compliments and hides a lot of sloppy clothing under it!

I've had it for years, but they update it each season. It has a hood that can be rolled up and tucked away. No fur lining. It's definitely an all year round coat, butI put a fleece on underneath it ( but not tell anyone wink) in winter as the lining is not padded. There is a drawstring inside for a waistline. It's not a bulky coat at all.

It would come under the title of parka, but has no fish tail. Its a lovely coat. Will see if I can get a link. Currently on iPad And can't do it.

HTH

Decorhate Mon 04-Jan-16 05:58:41

I was after something similar to replace a very old Boden Mac. After looking everywhere I was about to buy another Boden one but have just got a Seasalt one in the sales. Not a parka and not too anoraky

Decorhate Mon 04-Jan-16 06:05:35

This is not too bad if you can get over the fact it is Per Una!
www.marksandspencer.com/thinsulate-hooded-mac-with-stormwear/p/p60072789

HappenstanceMarmite Mon 04-Jan-16 06:09:12

Barbour.

Slimmingcrackers Mon 04-Jan-16 07:39:21

Thank you for advice everyone - much appreciated!

I've looked on the M&S website where I live (continental Europe) and there are two navy anoraks there that I quite like but they are described as "transitional" and I am definitely looking for a winter coat (despite what I said earlier about over-heating!!)

I saw a lovely navy coat on the UK M&S website (black fur-lined) but it isn't available in a 16 and is described by reviewers as "large". All the other sizes have been sold out, I'm obviously a bit late looking for this for this year!

I really like Barbour Happenstance and their coats fit my dh well, but they are always wrong on the shoulders/bust for me.

Any other ideas anyone pls?

ninared Mon 04-Jan-16 13:12:36

Seasalt have a lovely range of rainwear - I bought the Seafolly which is flattering in navy and the quality is excellent

I avoid like the plague anything 'anoraky' as they always look cheap and frumpy even if expensive. For that reason i keep well clear of any kind of raincoat from M & S.

You can't go wrong with Barbour for style and quality imho if you get a good fitted one and avoid the fit the Queen wears. Plus a Barbour lasts forever and is classic

I've also seen some nice ones in Jack Wills

BestIsWest Mon 04-Jan-16 15:10:22

I have one like this like this. It's not glamorous but is warm. And the fur on the hood is detachable.

BestIsWest Mon 04-Jan-16 15:12:52

Actually it's this one

Slimmingcrackers Tue 05-Jan-16 07:38:56

Thank you both Best is west and Ninared really appreciate the advice and have looked at both of those sites.

I love the Debenhams coat but it doesn't seem to appear when I declare my overseas destination (think they must only sell a limited range abroad).

And the Seasalt ones, although I like them very much on other people, don't appear to have enough darting to accommodate norks (not pretty if coat is hanging off them in tent like fashion!!)

Sorry to appear to be so choosy. Have looked at numerous websites stocking country wear, hiking wear, equestrian wear, plus lots of department stores and even slightly posh brands, but can't seem to find anything!!

Found this in House of Fraser but worried about drawstring being too high on me and would prefer a darker navy. And not sure if warm enough... .

Slimmingcrackers Tue 05-Jan-16 07:42:10

OOohh, ooh, have just found this one in M & S though!!

Might be a go-er although a bit worried about side pockets on chest!!

here

I saw it yesterday and liked it but my size was all sold out but they have more in stock today. Going to order two sizes ... .

ChipInTheSugar Tue 05-Jan-16 07:50:34

That's really nice, OP! Good choice.

Slimmingcrackers Tue 05-Jan-16 08:35:50

Thanks Chip smile we'll see!

RakeMeHomeCountryToads Sat 09-Jan-16 10:48:29

Do you like this one OP? Just in case you don't like the other when it arrives.

Silverstreaks Sat 09-Jan-16 13:29:57

I have the older version of this Merrell waterproof coat. It is not heavy, amazingly waterproof, has a double ended zip and you can remove the hood.
I've had it five years and it still looks really smart. Muddy paw prints wipe off even though the material feels properly fabriccy rather than plasticised. Great coats and if you delve into the Internet you'll find a bargain.

Slimmingcrackers Tue 12-Jan-16 11:38:53

Thanks for the suggestion Rakemehome might try that if the other one doesn't fit! [It's being sent via my sister in UK hence delay] Think the overall shape is good.

I like the shape of those Merrel suggestions too, thanks Silverstreaks but I would look ill in those colours (partic khaki and black). Thanks all the same!

Slimmingcrackers Tue 26-Jan-16 11:11:20

Just come back on here to report (by some kind of miracle) that the M&S coat fits, is really good quality and quite heavy (but not too heavy).
The only slight niggle is that the drawstring probably would have been better on the inside and is a one cm or so too high for my waist, but that is always the case because I need to lose weight (and I have a short back)!

Now that I have it sorted, the weather has turned mild of course but never mind, I am prepared for the next cold spell!

If it hadn't worked out (if anyone is still interested and just for info for fellow dog-walkers ) I was going to try the following:

but colour not to my taste particularly

but not available in my size

and

this one

Actually, a friend put me on to the last one and let me try on hers. It was slightly too tight across the chest but (counter-intuitively) I found the the layered look is actually quite good if you have large norks because you can keep the bottom layer done up (which minimises one shape) and keep the outer layer open, or zipped up with deep 'v' (which distracts from inner layer ifsywim).

HTH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now