Talk

Advanced search

Help with return to work (after maternity) clothes

(15 Posts)
OpheliaMoo Fri 01-Jan-16 18:16:44

I'm really hoping someone can help point me in a direction please!

I've been off for just under a year on maternity, returning in just under two weeks fsad. Not only am I dreading the thought of leaving DD, I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed by my current shape/size and have no idea what to wear to hide my new body shape. I'm still BF'ing and have arranged to get a new hair-do this week but the clothes are stressing me out.

I'm a size 16 top (same as pre-preg) but my bottom half is currently a large 18. My tummy and hips are rather....... round and I have this "ledge" now on my tummy/above pubic area that wasn't there before. My pre-pregnancy work stuff just doesn't feel comfortable anymore and whilst I intend to lose weight when I go back to work, I just don't know what to pick to hide my tummy area.

I'm 6"1' and feel uncomfortable in trousers I always imagine my fat arse is going to rip the seams when I sit down ha ha and do prefer skirts, on the knee, that aren't pencil skirts but I don't know what style to look for.

Can anyone suggest tops to cover/flatter the tummy area and a black skirt that will hide the 'ledge' until I've lost weight? I guess I'm looking for a simple capsule wardrobe as I don't want to spend tonnes as I hope to lose some weight although fuck knows how

Thanks so much in advance

OpheliaMoo Sat 02-Jan-16 11:02:13

Anyone? blush

polkydot Sat 02-Jan-16 18:41:04

I hope someone comes along to suggest something. I am back on Wednesday after 14 months off, also a size 18, 5'9, and after a cheap, no-trousers capsule wardrobe that doesn't look cheap. Arggh!

TrashPanda Sat 02-Jan-16 18:43:29

I saw this is Sainsburys earlier and it might work tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/tustorefront/STYLE-STRIPED-SKIRT?pagetype=product&productcode=128936271-Navy

ifigoup Sat 02-Jan-16 18:47:10

How formal do you have to be at work? Could you get away woth smart tunic tops worn over more fitted trousers (so you look "finished" but have the psychological comfort of knowing your bum is covered!)?

I find that fitted structured dresses are quite flattering even with more of a tummy as they accentuate your waist.

I also always find that knee-high boots make me look more balanced than shoes do - again depending on your workplace.

OpheliaMoo Sat 02-Jan-16 21:42:35

Ooooh someone came along!

That skirt from Sainsburys isn't my style (the stripes) but I think the fit could be what I'm after... something a bit floaty and forgiving so thank you smile

It's not a strict suit environment and I could get away with wearing boots - hadn't thought of tunic tops either. I just generally feel more comfortable in a skirt.

Just feeling so down about not having lost weight before I went back to work. I'll check out some of the other Sainsbury things!

sarah2011 Sun 03-Jan-16 09:31:09

Hi, it's a nightmare isn't it, I'm returning on Wed after 14 months off. I'm about 2 stone bigger than I would like. I have decided that I am going with tights, dress was black cardigan. I got some nice empire line dresses (forgiving around belly and boobs) quite cheap in tesco and sainsburys - look out for sainsburys 25% Off for work wear. I got cheap but good quality cardigans in h&m and I have some black tights and black wedge heels from m and s. I pretty much plan to stick to this most days as I feel covered up, but can take the cardi off when hot. If I need to be smarter for a meeting I'll replace the cardi with a blazer. I don't feel comfortable for shirts and trousers yet! Good luck xxxx

TrashPanda Sun 03-Jan-16 12:35:10

It is so hard. I'm back to work on Monday after 9 months off and I feel like all my clothes are stuck in some sort of time warp.

I had my first child at 19 and I'm now 26 and just had a second and although I feel much more together as a parent, it feels like my clothes are still stuck at late teenage. I would love to feel more put together and grown up but I don't really know where to start.

Hope all your first days back go OK smile

StubbleTurnips Sun 03-Jan-16 19:57:57

I decided to get rid of all my trouser and cardi combos after mat leave and bought a load of dresses, they hide a lot of things mainly my waist and hips.

All my work dresses are from lady vintage, they wash and dry brilliantly. They've had some brilliant sale things too, worth a look!

sarah2011 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:24:55

Oooh might look now, I'm definitely feeling that dresses are more forgiving at the minute. Feel a bit more feminine too and less like a huge house sized lady ha x

OpheliaMoo Sun 03-Jan-16 21:40:26

Some of those dresses are lovely!!

sarah2011 Mon 04-Jan-16 12:40:47

They are stunning and some fab reductions too, it's probably a bit overdressed for my boring work place but I have seen a lovely one for summer time xxx

Twinklestar2 Mon 04-Jan-16 13:42:55

I had exactly the same issue!
I went shopping for a few basics, starting with a black pencil skirt and black trousers. All my trousers were out of fashion, so I brought a slim leg pair from Dorothy Perkins. I then brought a couple of shirts from GAP. Again, the shirts style has changed and ‘boyfriend’ style is in.
Chucked out all the ‘mumsy’ cardigans and switched to blazers instead, mainly from Primark.

After a month or two of being back at work, back in the real world and seeing what others were wearing I then purchased some more fashionable items, ie, leather skirts and suede skirts are now in and also 70s style is in.

Today I am wearing:

www.newlook.com/shop/womens/skirts/burgundy-corduroy-button-front-a-line-skirt_344760167?productFind=search
with
www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?Ntt=black%2broll%2bneck&storeId=12552&productId=21118664&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33053

black tights and long brown leather boots (cause I thought it was going to rain, or I would have worn black shoe boots!).

goodnessgraciousgoudaoriginal Mon 04-Jan-16 16:20:38

Without meaning to sound harsh, I think it will partly depend on how serious you are about losing the weight.

If you will genuinely be losing the weight, then it really doesn't make sense to be buying new work wear right now, when you'll only be in it for a short period of time. Could you have another look at your maternity wear instead, and see if there's anything you could smarten up a bit for work? You must have had some maternity work wear before you went on leave? Don't worry about people knowing it's maternity wear - no-one is going to remember your outfits from over a year ago! grin

That way, even if you have to buy maybe one or two tops, you get a lot of flexibility with the fit of the rest of your clothes.

It also means that you have a bit more motivation to actually lose the weight (as you'll get sick of the same outfits!), and maybe more importantly, a better budget for buying new clothes when you are at whatever size you are happy with.

hellsbellsmelons Mon 04-Jan-16 16:26:24

Roman Originals have some nice work dresses that are flattering.
They have some great sale stuff online as well.
You may be young though so may not suit you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now