Talk

Advanced search

looking for a long tweed fitted coat...

(25 Posts)
StillMedusa Fri 01-Jan-16 16:38:55

I keep seeing people in the coat I would like but can't find where it is from. long( mid thigh roughly) a greenish/pale brown and fitted, and I think with either a lilac or olive ish colour collar!

It has a 'country clothing' look about it but isn't from Barbour though their Stornoway looks similar. Any ideas?

Oldraver Fri 01-Jan-16 17:55:30

They are a design classic and many manufacturers do them. Are you looking for high end or fashion.

I love this Dubarry one

This is the one I can afford, Joe Browns

I'm sure there are versions in between

Oldraver Fri 01-Jan-16 18:01:10

Dubarry have this on sale

I also like the Barbour Stornoway

StillMedusa Fri 01-Jan-16 19:04:48

High(er) end really... I expect my coats to last a long time so am prepared to buy something decent. The exact coat I like is very similar.. but there is a collar colour detail I really like. I think it must be decent high street or genuine country clothing. I wish I'd chased the lady I saw today in it and asked! It was like the Dubarry but with colour to the collar (and cuffs I think!)

Bouncey Fri 01-Jan-16 19:20:09

Try reallywildclothing or Oliver brown. Or if you have £££ Katherine hooker is fab as you can choose style and customise with different fabrics, trimmings, lining, buttons etc.

SilverHawk Fri 01-Jan-16 20:50:35

Could it have been from House of Bruar? Some of their clothing shows flashes of colour.
Where in the UK did you see the coat?

StillMedusa Sat 02-Jan-16 00:50:40

I live in David Cameron's constituency... West Oxfordshire. There are a few 'posh' areas with very nice shops in, so hard to narrow down but I bet it's local (thinking Burford if anyone knows the area!) I'll have a look at House of Bruar!

Any more thoughts or links welcome.. I really want a nice coat!

Bouncey Sat 02-Jan-16 03:32:58

Is it like this?
www.ahume.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=247&P_ID=1248

TeaPleaseLouise Sat 02-Jan-16 08:03:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StillMedusa Sat 02-Jan-16 10:15:57

Oh that might be the one Bouncey!!!!

Oldraver Sat 02-Jan-16 16:17:28

There is a tradtional shop in Bampton if you know it..

I live between Bampton and Burford

StillMedusa Sat 02-Jan-16 20:57:35

Do you live in the town of a certain RAF base by any chance?! We ended up here on DH's final posting... and stuck for the kids' sake!

ledgeoffseason Sat 02-Jan-16 21:15:03

Just to say we have bought a few things from Magee direct and they are LOVELY to deal with! Don't think their coat selection is a patch on last year's though, so nothing for me in the sales, DH got great shirt and lovely tweed jacket but refused to get the gorgeous overcoat I thought he would look pretty hot in.

StillMedusa Sun 03-Jan-16 22:26:56

Damn it! I still haven't found the exact coat...but have found several others I would like... each one more expensive than the last!

Most of the ones I fancy on here are in the £400 range... I'd better save for a bit first I think :D
www.ahume.co.uk/search_drill.asp?CAT_ID=493&OrderByPrice=&openPanel=attrib&strSearchCriteria=any&strAttributes=91&strAttributes=92&attrib92=Tweed&strAttributes=95&amount=0+-+550&numPriceMin=&numPriceMax=&submit=Submit

citychick Mon 04-Jan-16 02:24:22

Joules.com have a field coat ( on sale ).

May not be the colour or length you fancied, bit it's very nice....

Oldraver Mon 04-Jan-16 15:17:03

Yes Medusa...I never managed to escape the place grin

cressetmama Mon 04-Jan-16 15:37:16

There is or used to be an Irish make, Brian Tucker, that does that style of clothing rather well.

Oldraver Mon 04-Jan-16 17:47:39

There is also the Countrywide store in Witney who have a range of clothing

Bouncey Mon 04-Jan-16 19:30:56

Some good reductions on the reallywildclothing sale - like this one:

www.reallywildclothing.co.uk/sale/harrington-coat-moss-lime.html

SilverHawk Mon 04-Jan-16 20:06:20

Bouncey, that coat only goes up to a size 12 shock
Now I'm not saying that the OP may be bigger but a lot of country people are..
According to the size guide that is a 36"bust.

EdithWeston Mon 04-Jan-16 20:15:43

I think I know the coat you mean, but I'm buggered if I know it's name or maker.

The place I've seen them for sale is the trade stands at Burghley Horse trials (where a lot of stuff is discounted). Do you have a big horse trials or a county show near you?

starsinyourpies Mon 04-Jan-16 23:05:24

This one is nice, I saw it in store and was very tempted.

ink{http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Wool-Herringbone-Coat/SW00008,en\www.brooksbrothers.com/Wool-Herringbone-Coat/SW00008]],en}GB,pd.html?dwvarr_SW00008_Color=MDGR&contentpos=7&cgid=0246

DaisyBD Mon 04-Jan-16 23:48:18

I got this in September in a country store in bath - I can't remember the brand though and it's in my car so can't be arsed to check right now but will do so in the morning. It's more fitted than it looks here (gives me a proper waist, which I do not possess) and has a beautiful blue silk lining and strokable velvet cuffs and collar lining.

It's also stupidly impractical as it's almost floor length on me, so trails in the mud, and only has two buttons so not even properly warm. And it was £££, much more than I would normally spend. But I love it so much! more than any item of clothing I have ever owned, including my wedding dress (which it also cost more than). It makes me feel a million dollars.

StillMedusa Mon 04-Jan-16 23:49:55

I've just gone through the stalls list of the horse trials... and still can't find the one! I refuse to give up...

Oldraver Tue 05-Jan-16 19:02:41

Have a look at the concessions in Burford Garden Centre Company

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now