Talk

Advanced search

Massive hat? Lazy hot roller question

(20 Posts)
DietChic Fri 01-Jan-16 15:20:13

I'm planning to try to be a bit more glam in 2016 and my hair needs fixing. I also need to lose a few pounds. I can walk to work in just over an hour and am trying to work how I can put my hot rollers in, then they can cool on the way - without liking like the HM the queen in a headscarf or like a nutter in rollers.

Where can I find a huge, huge hat to fit them under? Or are there different rollers that take less space up?

Sadly I'm too lazy to get up at 6am to spend an hour and 10 waiting for them to work, and have the curls blown out during the walk to get in for 8.30.

Any ideas gratefully received!

ManicPixieDream Fri 01-Jan-16 15:22:24

Could you curl your hair in sponge rollers over night and wake up with your hair curled?

DietChic Fri 01-Jan-16 15:39:11

I can try - could work. I read some reviews that said they're not that comfortable to sleep in which is annoying.

burnishedsilver Fri 01-Jan-16 15:43:06

Seriously?

emsyj Fri 01-Jan-16 16:31:41

Sorry but this did make me giggle - the idea of becoming more glam by walking to work in a massive hat to hide your rollers!! grin

Have you tried L'Oreal Tec Ni Pli styling spray? It's a 'professional' product so I don't think you'd find it in Boots (it's aimed at hairdressers) but you can get it from Sally's beauty wholesale or on ebay. If you spritz with that then use decent rollers (the Babyliss Pro ceramic ones are the best IMO) it shouldn't take that long for the curl to set. I'm currently doing a hair styling/hair up course at night school and we only leave the rollers in for about 20 minutes and it works. The Tec Ni Pli spray makes a HUGE difference.

DietChic Fri 01-Jan-16 16:41:15

This is a fair point- between 7.30 and 8.30am I will achieve the very opposite effect... Hmm.

Will look into that spray too! Thank you - I need all the help I can get. I have a lot of hair but it is very fine and curl drops out almost immediately unless I can really wait until they're stone cold.

I'm looking at tams currently. They seem capacious!

PetiteBateau Fri 01-Jan-16 16:51:43

Am picturing you wearing a big knitten Rastafarian hat or a Buckingham palace guard's hat

PetiteBateau Fri 01-Jan-16 16:52:26

Knitted

DietChic Fri 01-Jan-16 17:02:47

grin I must nip on to the 'how to look expensive' thread and give out some tips. I have a feeling I'm going to nail the look, haring across London in skechers and a bearskin.

emsyj Fri 01-Jan-16 17:55:32

If only you were in Liverpool OP - walking around in public openly wearing hair rollers is veh normal here! People do everything from shopping to lunching in their rollers, especially on a Friday and Saturday!

PetiteBateau Fri 01-Jan-16 18:41:48

I have seen that phenomenon in Liverpool too grin

DietChic Fri 01-Jan-16 21:19:40

Moving to Liverpool can be option 3 after sleep in rollers and the spray.

leb33 Fri 01-Jan-16 23:31:08

Sponge velcros are okay to sleep in, or try the aurora band, that's fine to sleep in and I got a decent curl from it (long thick hair). Its definitely no match for a salon blow dry but fine for everyday styling.

DontKillMyVibe Fri 01-Jan-16 23:37:44

Can you not blow them with the cold setting on your hair dryer after they've been in for a bit and then remove before you leave the house?

calzone Fri 01-Jan-16 23:40:11

I have just snorted at the mental image you have just painted.....

HardleyWorthit Fri 01-Jan-16 23:43:45

one of these OP?

HardleyWorthit Fri 01-Jan-16 23:46:18

Or this should do nicely.

DietChic Sat 02-Jan-16 10:38:42

Googling the aurora band right now, thank you!

And thinking that the big leprechaun hat looks like it could fit the rollers in if it had to.

The big pink rose one though! LOVE. A game changer.

TSSDNCOP Sat 02-Jan-16 10:44:41

You don't think the flower hat is a bit, "look at me", first thing?

DietChic Sat 02-Jan-16 16:26:54

I am aiming to be more glamorous though. Though perhaps more of an elevenses hat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now