How do you organise your jewellery - advice needed please!

(32 Posts)
MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Wed 30-Dec-15 21:57:51

I've got a fair few bits of (costume) jewellery, the usual stuff - long and short necklaces, bangles and bracelets and earrings.

They are stored in loads of little boxes and drawstring bags. Is this the right way though? I can never see what I have at a glance and sometimes forget about stuff or wear the same pieces all the time.

Please can you let me know if you have found a solution to this? I am tempted to buy some clear perspex boxes and drawers with dividers (á la Muji) but they are expensive enough (or would they be a good investment?)

Any advice from those who have worked it out please? Thanks in advance.

I have a box with compartments in, which I keep earrings (on cardboard backing), rings, brooches and bangles in. Necklaces are hung on nails along the edge of a chest of drawers. I don't have much though, and it's all cheapo costume stuff.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Wed 30-Dec-15 23:05:06

Thanks Remus. Great idea so that you can see your earrings (already in pairs) immediately.

Dancergirl Thu 31-Dec-15 00:04:40

I have one of those stands with arms at different heights for costume jewellery, long necklaces and bracelets.

Then I have a stackers box from Amazon for my good stuff. You can buy as many trays as you like and they stack together.

Don't suppose any of you have tips on how to organise scarves, by any chance? Mine are just in two big baskets and it's not working at all. I also tried draping them over a coat hanger and hated that too.

Hope you don't mind the hijack, Martin.

MakemineaGandT Thu 31-Dec-15 00:16:08

I bought a few plastic craft storage boxes from Dunelm - the ones that are clear with little dividers. Very cheap and brilliant to use - stack on top of each other and can see everything at a glance, pairs of earrings don't lose each other etc

MakemineaGandT Thu 31-Dec-15 00:18:16

Scarves - I roll/fold and store stacked on their sides in a drawer - easy to see them all at a glance and they don't take up as much room when kept under control like that! Very large ones like pashminas etc I hang on trouser hangers

I haven't got a spare drawer. sad

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 31-Dec-15 00:20:36

Remus get thee to Ikea and get one of these beauties. There are 28 (4x7) hoops on this hanger. One of my best purchases ever...

MakemineaGandT Thu 31-Dec-15 00:21:37

You could use large shoeboxes instead and keep them under your bed?

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 31-Dec-15 00:23:04

Called a "Komplement" in case you need to look it up.

BackforGood Thu 31-Dec-15 00:52:29

I have a cork board on my bedroom wall and have hung my necklaces up. It keeps them tangle free but also 'on display' so I can see what I've got in a second.
Ear-rings are on an ear ring holder thingymajig.

bojorojo Thu 31-Dec-15 01:23:46

In my wardrobe in their boxes. Or in the safe - depending on value.

SesameSparkle Thu 31-Dec-15 01:41:43

All my small bits of jewellery are in muji perspex boxes with the dividers separating them into segments. A pair or two of earrings can pop into each section. I think they are well worth the investment, it's brilliant being able to see everything at a glance and there's no dust. I think craft boxes or empty chocolate boxes might make a cheaper alternative. Bigger jewellery like bangles are kept in an ikea skubb box inside a drawer.

Scarves are all rolled up and stored end on, squashed side by side into an open shoe box - so again I can see everything at once. This nests inside a drawer. Pashminas are folded and stored end on in same drawer. If no drawers, perhaps just roll and store end on in boxes or existing baskets as a way of seeing them all at the same time.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 31-Dec-15 01:55:35

Sesame I'm intrigued to hear someone else's experience of the Muji boxes. I have been toying with the idea of buying the 5 drawers and then adding the compartments for earrings in one drawer. Sounds like a sound investment, thank you.

Collymollypuff Thu 31-Dec-15 04:55:49

I like those stackers, and that Ikea Komplement.

SesameSparkle Thu 31-Dec-15 09:52:57

I've had mine for years. The one I use the most is this one as the flip top is easier to open than the drawers which can get heavy. The flip is also most useful for me because I moved my jewellery boxes inside a drawer, instead of having on display. The second box I got is the wider one with 2 drawers. The bottom drawer I keep without inserts as it's got chunkier pieces inside. The five drawer one looks pretty neat too. I suppose the only negative is having to rifle through multiple drawers for the piece you want - tho if they are organised in a sensible way it should be easy enough. And it would be a million times better then going through lots of individual gift boxes and bags.

Grumpyoldblonde Thu 31-Dec-15 09:57:17

I bought cup holder hooks (sticky backed) and put them in the inside of my wardrobe and hang my necklaces on them - brilliant and simple

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 31-Dec-15 14:43:29

Some brilliant tips on here, thank you!

Thanks. Am going to try rolling my scarves. Anything to avoid Ikea! grin

SesameSparkle Thu 31-Dec-15 16:44:39

Some scarf folding inspiration here. And rolling here. I think rolling works best for flimsier fabric. Start by folding into manageable rectangles, with the width the same height as your box. Folding into '3s' often holds a bit stronger than folding in half then half again. Then roll up your rectangles and arrange like sushi.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 31-Dec-15 19:06:18

I've a basket of scarves rolled up here rucksack style and standing up which means I can see them at a glance and don't have to root through a pile to get to the one I want. Sorry if it's the same as your suggestion Sesame

My scarves are now beautifully rolled. Thank you. smile

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 31-Dec-15 19:08:23

Yep, was just able to get into your link to see the same! blush

Pupsiecola Thu 31-Dec-15 19:14:38

I got a set of Stackers (in red) for xmas and I'm so pleased with them. I asked DH for them as my old jewellery box was very decrepit. The Stackers weren't sth I would buy for myself so made a fab gift. I keep most of my jewellery in there - all the smaller stuff, chains, pendants, earrings, bracelets and watches etc. Chunkier bead type necklaces and large bangles are all in individual organza jewellery bags. They're colour co-ordinates so it's easy to find what I want. For example, green based necklaces are in green organza bags. All the bags are then in one of those Ikea drawer insert things, in my chest of drawers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now