Talk

Advanced search

Is it better to wear a moisturiser/skin product at night or just leave skin to breathe?

(16 Posts)
williaminajetfighter Wed 30-Dec-15 21:19:54

Just that. I've never been a huge fan of using product overnight since I think it's good for your skin to have a break and not have something on it. During the day I always wear moisturiser and makeup.

So far this has worked for me, probably just because I'm lucky to have good skin from my mum. But maybe I'm wrong about this and my skin is getting more dry (I'm 46)

Does anyone else follow a 'no product at night' routine? Or are there amazing nighttime products that might convert me?

lavazzzalover Wed 30-Dec-15 21:50:42

I feed my skin at night. if I didn't it would be like plaster by morning. dry and cracked.

serum and night cream. im 41.

specialsubject Wed 30-Dec-15 21:51:41

doesn't matter. Whatever makes you comfortable. Even the beauty blogs admit that there's no scientific evidence that a 'day cream' needs to be different from a 'night cream'.

apart from the sunscreen, of course - and most farty-french-name products don't contain enough.

you've identified your anti-ageing trick - the correct parents.

SurferJet Wed 30-Dec-15 21:56:59

I don't wear any night creams I just let my skin breathe, read somewhere years ago that this was the way to go.

TaliZorah Wed 30-Dec-15 21:59:26

Moisturise. Your skin is repairing at night so it's the best time.

You don't need a special night cream for it

williaminajetfighter Wed 30-Dec-15 22:23:50

Thx for your replies! Zorah, if your skin is repairing itself at night does it matter if you have moisturiser on it or not? I'm not sure of the logic as have heard this before and think....???

TaliZorah Wed 30-Dec-15 22:24:50

I took it as the more moisture and good bits you can get into your skin while its repairing the better.

I do have dry skin though so any time is moisturise time for me!

MidnightVelvetthe4th Wed 30-Dec-15 22:27:55

I think the wisdom I grew up with is if you moisturize at night your skin isn't currently dealing with sun, make up, pollution etc so can pay more attention to repairing and the moisturizer helps that.

I use serum and night cream at night

Judydreamsofhorses Wed 30-Dec-15 22:43:59

I like to go to bed looking like an oil slick - my skin is quite dehydrated though. I tend to do "night" products about 6pm, and sometimes top up just before bed.

burnishedsilver Wed 30-Dec-15 22:47:16

I use retinol at night.

SixtyFootDoll Wed 30-Dec-15 22:49:05

I use a facial oil at night. I think it helps.
I think cleansing is more important though.

Wolpertinger Wed 30-Dec-15 23:43:46

Your skin repairs itself 24/7. In the day I use SPF and at night I use a retinol.

lavazzzalover Thu 31-Dec-15 00:23:07

im like you judy.......slimy! I use nigh creams as they tend to be thicker.

TheFirstNoelHeadbands Thu 31-Dec-15 00:37:19

I don't slap on moisturiser last thing at night, but I cleanse during the evening and do retinol/serums then.

Doobigetta Thu 31-Dec-15 09:11:51

I never felt the need to use anything at night until a couple of years ago when my skin started to feel quite tight if I left it completely bare. Now I use a home-made facial oil.

hiccupgirl Thu 31-Dec-15 09:28:26

I've never consistently used anything overnight and my skin is pretty good at 43. I do wear moisturiser with sun protection in the day but usually no makeup. My skin is def getting dryer as I get older so i may start using a gentle overnight cream if I feel it's very dry when I wake up.

IME the things that really make a difference to your skin ageing are your genes and sun protection. Anything else just makes it feel nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now