natural hair - how to look chic

(9 Posts)
wickedfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 18:11:46

My hair is longish and layered with a long fringe. Mainly straight with a kink. I would love to have that artfully natural, wavy look - like the look arty French women have.

However, can only achieve that if I dry and style. If I leave it to dry naturally, it looks crap and a bit frizzy! So the styling is giving me dry ends (and also contributing towards frizziness, I suspect....).

I am a bit rubbish with techniques - can anyone advise please?

tethersend Tue 29-Dec-15 19:28:06

Jane Birkin swore by rinsing her hair in coke.

<helpful>

SwedishEdith Tue 29-Dec-15 19:31:42

Oh, yes, I want to know how people do this as well. I suspect artfully natural take lots if styling.

Boozena Tue 29-Dec-15 19:36:43

Instead of using heat to curl could you put it in rags/those foam rollers into damp hair the night before? A quick spray of hairspray and a short blast with the hair dryer to set it keeps mine curly for much longer than heat styled.

Kennington Tue 29-Dec-15 22:08:53

Salt spray then hairspray

Feels crunchy but you get the look of the literature student with an artfully messy barnet

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 22:16:38

I have this hair, more by accident or genetics than by stylish intention.

I wash my hair early evening every 2nd or 3rd night (I have a sensitive scalp which is at its worst the day I´ve just washed my hair, so I wash every 3 days unless my hair feels dirty). I leave my hair to air dry, then often when it is almost dry I wrap it up in a bun. When I wake up the next morning I comb my hair with a wide toothed comb and rub in either about a teaspoonful of Moroccan Oil (my hair is a little longer than bra-strap length) or a few squirts of Organix Coconut Oil (it´s a liquid spray).

I hope this helps. When I have to have a meeting with the bank manager or other grown ups I blow dry my hair and that makes it fully straight, then people seem to take me more seriously.

wickedfairy Wed 30-Dec-15 16:51:23

I have tried the foam rollers once and ended up looking like Shirley Temple smile - I obviously wound them a little too tightly! It looked ok a few hours later, once it had dropped and you're right - the curls did last longer. Uncomfortable nights sleep though....

May try again, wound a little more loosely. Or rags. Thanks!

thelaundryfairy Wed 30-Dec-15 20:06:25

Wickedfairy Don´t put the foam rollers all the way up to the root. Anything from ear to neck length downwards instead (might be more comfortable to sleep as well?)

abigamarone Wed 30-Dec-15 20:13:51

Try leaving it in low pigtails overnight. Should keep it smooth, but give it a slight wave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now