Talk

Advanced search

Looking stylish every day

(23 Posts)
Pamelaaa Tue 29-Dec-15 17:28:23

As a full time working mum, mainly office based but need some flexibility, I want to go back to work feeling and looking more stylish. So what do you do or wear every day / during the day to make you feel and look stylish and confident?

Allgunsblazing Tue 29-Dec-15 17:30:12

Dresses and gaving my eyebrows threaded wink

Allgunsblazing Tue 29-Dec-15 17:30:30

*having

Kennington Tue 29-Dec-15 17:41:47

Agree to eyebrow threading
Also clear nail polish
Eyelash curlers
Slim cropped trousers with ankle boots and a stiletto heal
Dark coloured clothes but brighter jewellery

Pamelaaa Tue 29-Dec-15 19:33:17

I do have my eyebrows done reasonably regularly but hadn't thought of eyelash curlers. Thanks

JohnnyDeppsfuturewife Tue 29-Dec-15 21:11:21

I had my colours done about six months ago and I am slowly building up an 'autumn' wardrobe. I'm a sahm so don't have such a need to be smart but with my new wardrobe I do feel really well put together and fairly smart. I'm not naturally stylish but for the first time I can put together different colour separates that look good together.

When I worked I wore lots of dresses with nice accessories like belts because I felt smarter and it was relatively low effort.

I agree to groomed eyebrows too. It makes such a difference.

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 21:21:45

Arrange your clothes and accessories in such a way that it´s easy to pick out different jewellery/scarf each day.

Handwashing your tights stops them going bobbly. I tend to do it in the bathroom sink while waiting for my hair conditioner to "sink in".

If you like to wear a jacket, check out the sales for a couple in black, grey or navy that match your existing outfits and flatter your figure.

Keep your shoes and boots nicely polished and remember to get any broken heels or soles fixed - usually cheap especially if you use a local cobbler (the ones in department stores or business districts in the city can be more expensive).

daftbesom Tue 29-Dec-15 21:31:38

Eyebrows tended. I have my eyelashes permed to curl them - supposed to be every 6 weeks or so but I don't do it quite that often. Is boring as f- getting it done, takes nearly an hour where you have to lie flat on your back with your eyes shut. (On the other hand is about the only daytime rest I get - I used to enjoy going to the dentist for similar reasons ...)

YY jackets. Nice scarf or necklace or brooch.

Depends on your job, but I find I like wearing very boring black trousers and plain, comfortable shoes, a plain black top and maybe a colourful cardi on the top. Looking smart but not like you've made a massive clothes-horsey effort.

bangbangprettypretty Tue 29-Dec-15 22:20:01

Yy to the eyebrows.

I also put L'Oreal hair gloss oil through my hair to make it a bit more together, also wear Leighton Denny Supermodel nail polish (pale brown which doesn't show chips).

Get a good coat to pull everything together, tiny cubic zirconia diamond earrings, and get things mended/re heeled/dry cleaned when needed.

wizzywig Tue 29-Dec-15 22:21:50

What is 'having your colours done'?

planter Tue 29-Dec-15 22:22:51

Full make up
Tidy brows
Knock em dead sophisticated scent
Good nails

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 22:35:27

planter Please suggest a knock em dead sophisticated scent! This is exactly what I´m looking for. envy star

JohnnyDeppsfuturewife Tue 29-Dec-15 22:38:39

A style consultant waved loads of different coloured scarves around my face and concluded that warm 'autumn' colours suit me - so greens, olive, khaki, lime, red, orange, Browns, teal and cream. mine was done by House of Colour. House of colour have four colour ranges summer, winter, spring and autum and each has a set of colours that suit your skin tone. I was given a sample of materials in each colour to take shopping and now everything I buy matches. I still have lots of black and white in my wardrobe which I can now see aren't the best for my complexion and it's nice to know which other colours I can wear to be matched.

planter Tue 29-Dec-15 22:44:38

It depends what you like!

My current favourite is Tom Ford, I like Black Orchid, White Patchouli and Noir.

I also like Penhaligons - an hour spent with one of their sales assistants is never wasted.

Head to nose.fr, select English and put it your favourite scents. You will then get a list of recommendations, which you can buy in sample size. It's a good route into the world of perfume.

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 22:55:34

Thanks, Planter. I love Tom Ford Black Orchid too although I tend to wear the men´s one rather than the women´s. I guess it´s the cheapskate in me but I find the men´s stays put longer without having to apply too much.

I also wear a scent that I bought on holiday in Capri; either it didn´t have much packaging or I threw it away. I love the smell (kind of lemony / sea salt), but am having to ration it now unless I book another trip there. I´ve looked online and can´t seem to find anything similar (doesn´t help that I have no idea what it´s called) but the headtonose website could prove useful! Thanks again.

planter Tue 29-Dec-15 23:08:57

Have you tried Neroli di Portofino? That's lovely and zesty. Also Acqua Di Parma Blu Mediterraneo.

It's nose.fr, not headtonose.fr smile

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 23:14:32

Sorry for misunderstanding the website! fblush

I´ve tried Neroli di Portofino and like it but it´s not the Capri scent. I like Acqua Di Parma on others but not on me. Thanks again! flowers

planter Tue 29-Dec-15 23:16:28

I think you can search fragrantica.com by note so that might help you?

planter Tue 29-Dec-15 23:19:30

Could yours be Bergamotto Positano by Floris?

planter Tue 29-Dec-15 23:25:00

Ooh try James Heeley, Sel Marin. Sounds intriguing....

Sorry I'm going to stop now...! I get carried away blush

TimeToMuskUp Tue 29-Dec-15 23:28:09

Estee Lauder DW gel eyeliner. Sounds nuts, but as soon as it's on I look - and feel - better put-together and smarter.

Clean, neat shellac-ed nails, shiny hair and a clean coat (sound mad but we have 4 cats and a dog, and I despise seeing animal hair all over my clothes, if I could shave them all bald I would do).

thelaundryfairy Tue 29-Dec-15 23:32:31

Thanks planter. I´m pretty sure it´s not Floris as the bottle is unmarked. I will give the Sel Marin a try; I´ve just found a sample online.

TimeToMuskUp Totally agree about animal hair.

building2015 Wed 30-Dec-15 15:19:56

Johnny I had my odours done by HOC a couple of years ago. Best thing ever. I would always recommend it. Now I know how to dress smartly without going overboard, I generally look well put together and shopping takes so little effort and is actually fun. Wonderful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now