Talk

Advanced search

Bra interventionists - can you help?

(15 Posts)
passtheharibo Mon 28-Dec-15 16:38:06

I'm now 5 months post baby and my size seems to have settled down so I'm looking for new bras. I measure 31.5 under bust and 37.5 over. Pre pregnancy I was a 32E in most brands. Now I can't do a 32 up in any of my old bras and any new ones in shops. So I went for a 34DD but the cups don't fit well. They cover but they flatten. The only way I seem to be able to get a bra that fits is to get a 32E and put a bra extender (sometimes two) on it. This can't be the only solution can it? There must be a bra out there that fits! I've had so many failed bra shopping expeditions and don't know where to start.

hollinhurst84 Mon 28-Dec-15 16:49:56

Try the 32E on back to front (just do the band up) and see how it feels
Could be the cups are stealing from the band and you need to go up a cup size so stick with 32 but go to a EE or F

passtheharibo Mon 28-Dec-15 17:01:28

I tried that hollinhurst. Still can't do it up!

hollinhurst84 Mon 28-Dec-15 17:08:30

Hmmm. How does the 34DD fit band and cup wise when you scoop? Wondering if style not size issue

If you look at your rib cage does it seem to be flared outwards? It's a problem some women have post baby and can mean you need a bigger band size than you measure because whilst right under your bust might be a 32, an inch or so down where the bottom of the band sits can be wider.

What you might find you need to do is to change brands and look for bras which are known for having narrower cups. Depending on the brand, the same bra in a 32E and a 34DD, whilst containing the same volume, can be different shapes - in some brands the 34DD will have a wider, slightly shallower cup than the 32E. So to balance out the need to wear a wider band you might need to switch to bras which are known to have narrower cups. What do you tend to wear?

passtheharibo Mon 28-Dec-15 17:14:05

Band is OK, feels slightly big in everything i tried on last visit (mostly Debenhams own brands, freya, panache). The cup just flattens me. The two bra fitters I've seen were happy with the 34DD but it just felt wrong. I felt like my boobs just disappeared in the 34DDs, up and to the sides with nothing left sticking out!

I've tried a huge variety of styles but all my go to brands and styles no longer fit in either size.

hollinhurst84 Mon 28-Dec-15 17:15:34

Some of the newer curvy Kate styles are narrower - I have the Arizona which works on me and I like narrow cups
Have you tried the Freya deco?

passtheharibo Mon 28-Dec-15 17:15:48

Statistically challenged - the best shape I ever had was a Fantasie Elodie - way back in my 32F days, pre baby no 1. These days I prefer a bit of padding!

passtheharibo Mon 28-Dec-15 17:17:18

Sorry am trying to respond to both of you and repsonding to neither!

My ribcage doesn't look flared out, no.

Freya Deco was huge in the cup and stood out on it's own. I couldn't find a smaller cup to try.

hollinhurst84 Mon 28-Dec-15 17:18:01

Curvy Kate tease me is quite up front shape too

passtheharibo Mon 28-Dec-15 17:22:33

The curvy kate one looks lovely but I know it would end up languishing in a drawer as it would show through clothes. The arizona one might be worth a punt. Would need to order a variety of sizes. Do you find the bands tight?

hollinhurst84 Mon 28-Dec-15 17:25:46

Worth having a browse on brastop website as they have a variety of brands. Not tight, I tend to find CK ones come up looser
Debenhams own brand are notoriously tight
Maybe if you can do an order with a variety of different styles
The Arizona is padded but it's not a stiff moulded bra as such

mrsvilliers Mon 28-Dec-15 18:46:20

Do you have a Bravissimo near you? I had major issues trying to get a bra to fit post baby #2 and they really sorted me out. I am now a 32FF which I would never ever have tried on without them but it is a great fit. Debenhams fwiw measured me as a 34C !!

passtheharibo Tue 29-Dec-15 21:57:41

I have mrsvilliers but I'm a bit reluctant to go back as the last time I was in there I was told my size was readily available on the high street and there was no need to limit myself! I slunk away feeling very silly!

I have made a massive brastop order. 12 bras on the credit card. Some of them have to fit surely?!

mrsvilliers Tue 29-Dec-15 22:41:01

Oh my word what an odd thing to say, talk about limiting their custom! Rofl at the brastop order, fingers crossed one fits for you confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now