Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Birmingham Jewellery Quarter

(13 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Sun 27-Dec-15 16:05:22

Is it worth going to?
I was disappointed in Hatton Garden- I don't know what I expected really.
Is it cheaper to buy in Birmingham?
Any dodgy shops?
Your thoughts/ views please.

Leviticus Sun 27-Dec-15 17:02:43

Yes it's excellent. I got my engagement and wedding rings from a shop called Element, which sells beautiful jewellery they design themselves. There are many, many other shops though.

SellFridges Sun 27-Dec-15 18:13:56

I really like it and we had our wedding rings from there as well as my engagement ring. Lots of small family business. I would avoid one opposite the graveyard which was like Argos and stank of smoke! Lots of good food and pubs there too - we actually had our wedding there!

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 27-Dec-15 18:19:58

My wedding and engagement rings came from Bickertons, who have done other stuff for me and for DD1. IMO they are excellent.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 27-Dec-15 18:33:47

Thank you.

Lndnmummy Sun 27-Dec-15 21:26:33

Yes yes yes go! Dh got my engagement ring frm there.

LovelyBranches Sun 27-Dec-15 22:08:02

I got my wedding ring from there and it was amazing service. Highly recommend Neweys.

Jenijena Sun 27-Dec-15 22:15:49

I live on the south coast but it was worth the drive up to get our wedding rings. I think from the same place as Leviticus up above, and paid the same for my exactly-what-I-want as a very 'ordinary' ring from a local high st jeweller.

FATEdestiny Sun 27-Dec-15 22:18:44

We used Newleys. I went in with a picture I'd drawn. The assistant brought out lots if rings and we dissected each one to decide which elements I liked and which I didn't until we had a completely finished design.

That was me done then. DH went back a month later to select the stones from a huge selection and confirm the design. Collected when done. We got engaged about 4 months later - May 2001.

We went back to the same shop for wedding rings.

OP, not sure what you are expecting from Birmingham Jewellery Quarter? It's just a collection of shops. You have to go from shop to shop - they are mostly small family run businesses - and find one that 'feels right'.

Whatsername24 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:21:06

Another recommendation from me! I had my engagement ring from there many years ago and I've never seen another like it since, and as someone else mentioned there's a great variety of places to eat and drink in the area too.

allnewredfairy Sun 27-Dec-15 22:27:45

I got my engagement ring from the Diamond Centre and our wedding rings came from another shop. Can't remember the name. I have to say the area wasnt what I was expecting. Quite unremarkable really. We did go off for a quick breakfast while we waited for the rings to be resized.

FATEdestiny Sun 27-Dec-15 23:05:58

Absolutely agree about the area being unremarkable. I was expecting something more slick when I went - big brand shopping centre type thing.

But in fact it's just a whole load of sometimes run-down buildings run by family businesses. It isn't shiny it glossy.

It is hard to know "are we in the jewellery quarter here?" It's not a defined space like a shopping centre is. You just walk along a few streets and there are lots of shops all running the same businesses in close proximity.

Leviticus Mon 28-Dec-15 11:12:10

The jewellery quarter isn't meant to be slick, it's an old part of Birmingham with a bit of history behind it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now