Talk

Advanced search

Alternative moisturiser

(21 Posts)
Hackedabove Sat 26-Dec-15 07:05:19

I've used Estée Lauder daywear for combination skin for years but am considering a change.

Any suggestions for alternatives? Needs to non greasy for my spot prone skin with an SPF30 if possible.

TIA

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 26-Dec-15 18:59:37

I would get a separate sunscreen and a moisturizer. There are loads of different ingredients to improve skin, anything with hyaluronic acid will really hydrate your skin. There is a thread on here about an asian beauty routine which used gentle acids to moisturize and improve skins tone and texture, worth a look. I lurked and changed my skincare routine on the back of it and my skin looks amazing, well, not bad for a 44 year old ginger woman anyway! grin

m0therofdragons Sat 26-Dec-15 19:03:44

I changed to boots no7 protect and perfect moisturiser. Love it.

Bodicea Sat 26-Dec-15 20:54:35

I used that for a while but after becoming a little more educated I have learnt that it doesn't matter how good the moisturiser is if it comes in jar packaging ( like daywear plus) it starts to degrade very quickly and all he expensive ingredients are ruined.
I would get a good serum and a more basic day moisturiser with spf in tube or pump packaging.
I currently like Olay regenerate daily regenerating serum ( fragrance free)
And Clinique city block spf25 or spf 40.
Also like the la Roche post hydraohase range.

VulcanWoman Sat 26-Dec-15 21:05:09

Almond oil or coconut oil. Does not cause me to have more spots.

thelaundryfairy Sat 26-Dec-15 21:07:41

Avene has a good moisturiser for combination/oily skin; sorry, I can´t remember the product´s exact name right now.

I use Protect and Perfect from No. 7 which I love, but I find it quite rich so perhaps not ideal for the OP.

Hackedabove Sun 27-Dec-15 09:55:35

Thanks for replies.

Does anyone rate dermalogica?

I would've thought an oil would cause my face to look like an oil slick. Reason I've stuck with daywear is I can plaster it on and it just sinks in.

Will look for the Asian skincare thread.

Hackedabove Sun 27-Dec-15 10:07:05

Ok, found thread, but so much there don't know where to start...

Wolpertinger Sun 27-Dec-15 10:18:27

Coconut oil does trigger spots in a lot of people. If you are serious about SPF it needs to be a separate product as you don't put enough on in a moisturiser.

Wolpertinger Sun 27-Dec-15 10:19:38

That said, I usually find my SPF moisturising enough in the mornings to not bother with a moisturiser.

Hackedabove Sun 27-Dec-15 10:24:31

I have sun damage to my face and am considering seeing a dermatologist to see if the brown spots can be removed. I understand if they are serious SPF is needed.

I used a dermalogica body lotion SPF 50, their sport one on holiday and found it really nice consistency and non greasy.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 27-Dec-15 11:02:20

Start here smile

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 27-Dec-15 11:06:05

My daughter uses dermalogica, their range for young skin. She's 10 and started to get really bad spots, the products sorted her skin out. It's worth doing some research and understanding what each ingredient does, how it works on your skin etc. Start by looking at your cleansing routine, that can have a huge difference on your skin.

Also, like Boudica said, avoid jars as the product degrades quickly.

Wolpertinger Sun 27-Dec-15 11:39:46

If you have both spots and sun damage spots and have the cash, I'd seriously consider going to a cosmetic dermatology clinic that does Obagi as hopefully you could get some good results for both the spots and the pigmentation.

In the meantime if you are looking for skincare advice I'd have a look at Dr Sam Bunting's videos on youtube - she has good videos on acne and sun protection. Plus some where she meets up with Caroline Hirons if you are more a Caroline Hirons kind of person.

Hackedabove Sun 27-Dec-15 11:40:33

Had a quick scan of the blog. Wow! I must say I used to be better with my skincare regimen when I as a teenager. I don't wear make up daily so I only usually wash my face with a Jan Marini face wash in the morning and moisturise.

Need a gentle ease into proper care. Think 10 steps unrealistic for me.

Yellowgold Sun 27-Dec-15 11:43:52

Day wear also comes with higher SPF, m.esteelauder.co.uk/product/681/25712/Product-Catalog/Skincare/DayWear/Advanced-Multi-Protection-Anti-Oxidant-UV-Defense-SPF-50.

Hackedabove Sun 27-Dec-15 11:49:50

Acne is pretty good at the moment.

In my teens it was my back that suffered the most and I had everything, ABs, dianette, uv treatment shock, then dermatologist ref when I was 21 with retin A cream which I couldn't tolerate and roaccutane.

My current spot problem is on my neck, below the jaw line etc. My chin is very sensitive to salicylic acid now, if I use a product with it in it becomes red raw almost immediately.

DH has just started working with a bloke whose wife is a consultant dermatologist who now works only in a private clinic doing cosmetic stuff.

Might book to see her re age spots.

Turned 40 this year and the age spots are getting bigger. My foot in mouth friend asked me if the one on my cheek has got bigger. It has but looking at pics from 10 years ago it was there then.

Hackedabove Sun 27-Dec-15 12:02:38

I do not recommend taking close up selfies...

Wolpertinger Sun 27-Dec-15 13:22:58

I don't do 10 steps grin Heliocare gel is my all time favourite SPF. You prob want broad spectrum SPF 50 every day.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 27-Dec-15 13:32:43

I don't do ten steps either, the blog just points out the possibilities. Maybe have a look into double cleansing, then get a good brightening serum, maybe with some vitamin c or there are some good brightening acids. Add a moisturizer on top, one with hyaluronic acid. Then pop a sunscreen on, I use biore watery essence. I use rosehip oil at night too and my skin has really improved in tone and quality.

VulcanWoman Sun 27-Dec-15 17:38:26

I've had cystic acne myself, coconut and almond oil suit me fine and my face isn't an oil slick, you don't need loads, I usually rub some into my hands then the excess all over my face after I have a wash, I don't put it directly onto my face. I like it because it has no harsh chemicals and the price is great. I truly believe it is so not necessary to spend lots on moisturisers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now