Talk

Advanced search

Where to buy maternity clothes and what do I need?

(16 Posts)
SpecialStains Fri 25-Dec-15 13:52:28

Merry Christmas all!

I'm in the early stages of pregnancy, but was hoping to pick up some maternity wear for later on in the sales (preferably online).

What do I need, and where is good for non-mumsy looking clothes? I'm only in my mid twenties so would prefer to avoid overtly floral, tent like creations!

calzone Fri 25-Dec-15 13:55:28

Next will have lots in......

Maternity jeans-definitely
Black trousers
Couple of dresses
Tops that can be used for breastfeeding
Keep it really simple and accessorise with jewellery and scarves.

calzone Fri 25-Dec-15 13:55:53

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Fri 25-Dec-15 14:18:00

I'm a big fan of Isabella Oliver. Their stretchy jersey dresses grow with you and Infind them easy to dress up and down so very versatile. Think they have a sale on them at the moment. I also got a great black knee length skirt from there. If you sign up for their emails they regularly send you discount codes. Not the cheapest maternity wear but washes well and resells well afterwards. ASOS and H&M also have some good bits and pieces.

SpecialStains Fri 25-Dec-15 14:19:26

Thank you, calzone! I told family today - I'm really excited despite having been constantly nauseous for the last week!

I will have a look on the Next website, and see what I can get from your list. In terms of sizing, I'm currently a 8/10. Do women tend to go up a size, or do I just get my regular size in maternity style? Thanks again!

SaltySeaBird Fri 25-Dec-15 14:32:47

I'm 27 weeks and still don't have any yet. I've found it impossible to find styles I like and that suit me. I always look like I'm wearing somebody else's clothes.

I've borrowed a few stretchy skirts from my sister and I'm just wearing my normal jeans undone with a bump band most of the time.

I did the same with DD and didn't end up buying any maternity wear at all.

SpecialStains Fri 25-Dec-15 14:42:23

Goodbye - I love the dresses on Isabella Oliver! Similar in style to what I would normally wear and would be great for work! Thanks!

Salty, interesting. I'll try just to get a few nice bits and not go overboard then. Hopefully they'll get reused in subsequent pregnancies! Sadly, not sure that borrowing off my sister in an option, as she's a lovely and slender size 6!

amarmai Fri 25-Dec-15 15:24:05

jersey knit anything is your friend. Get your reg size as it looks good when your preg and they get tighter .

thelaundryfairy Fri 25-Dec-15 20:23:30

You need a pair of maternity jeans and a pair of maternity trousers. I wore lots of long T-shirt style tops from Zara and H&M which covered the bump.

If you are going to a wedding or similar event, you will need a maternity dress or a carefully tailored larger dress to accommodate the bump in a chic way.

Also if you are pregnant in winter you will need a coat in a larger size, mine didn´t go over the bump and I was freezing with it flapping about open! I got a cheap one from Uniqlo.

The rest of the time you can be in your "fat" / less tailored clothes or just buy very cheap separates in a larger size.

Pico2 Fri 25-Dec-15 20:28:53

If you're anywhere near York, there is a fab maternity wear shop there.

Ughnotagain Fri 25-Dec-15 20:44:04

Asos, H&M, eBay were my go-to places.

I ended up with quite a lot I didn't wear, but things I swore by:

2x maternity jeans (tbh could have made do with 1)
Maternity leggings from H&M (so comfy, spent way too long trying to eke out my old leggings)
Maternity tights
Dresses - had 1 from Asos and 1 from H&M that were maternity ones, then managed to find some smock-type dresses in Primark that worked well.

I also had some work trousers from Topshop but they weren't anywhere near as comfortable as leggings and dresses.

Oh also I had some loose, light jumpers from Primark. Not maternity, but they stretched well over the bump as it grew.

delilabell Sat 26-Dec-15 12:47:04

I've got leggings x1
Jeans X2
Dresses x3
Tops x6

I've got most things from bonprix, asda and next

Callmecordelia Sat 26-Dec-15 12:56:40

I have:

Maternity jeans x 2 (Next)
Black maternity leggings x 5 (Next and a posh French brand I can't remember)
Lots of Jersey tops - including some nice ones from Jojo
Slouchy funnel neck jumpers x 2 from Jojo
Some second hand dresses for work

The leggings are necessary, because maternity tights are expensive and if you ladder them it's a real pain. I wear leggings and boots instead.

mrslebon Sat 26-Dec-15 15:50:32

I'm 29 weeks and usually a size 8 - 10. Apart from maternity jeans, I haven't bought any specifically maternity wear. Most of it is horrible anyway. I swear by these H&M jeans (I buy them in a 10 - I'm 5ft 5 and they're just right) and have three pairs (black, grey black and dark denim). Fortunately I can wear them to work with a nice top and heeled boots.

www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0300024006.html

If you like boho style tops, I can recommend this one. I bought a size 12 and it's just right: www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0340927001.html

This jumper in the black and white has been a lifesaver. Looks great with faux leather leggings and I also have an elasticated waist Top Shop faux leather mini that I found on ebay. Size XS is fine: www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0303770001.html

The other colours in the jumper aren't as nice as they have more acrylic in them, rather than cotton.

This Autograph top is great with skinny black jeans. I got a size 8: www.marksandspencer.com/animal-print-devore-blouse/p/p22409102?image=SD_01_T50_4831_Y4_X_EC_90&color=BLACKMIX

For a basic long sleeved top (great for layering), I can recommend these tops from J Crew. They wash brilliantly and are long enough to cover the bump. I have the black cherry one which I layer under grey knits.

The only maternity items that have appealed to me have been from Lindex (I know, I've never heard of them before either). This dress is currently sitting in my basket: www.lindex.com/uk/women/mom/tops-bottoms/7336471/MOM-Tunic-with-lace/?styleId=73678393

The other items I couldn't manage without are long line vest tops. I have a black Top Shop maternity vest which I got off ebay and Matalan do good ones too. I can't see grey ones online but they will have them in store, as well as black, navy, white etc.. www.matalan.co.uk/product/detail/s2532799/long-line-vest

Congrats and enjoy your pregnancy!

mrslebon Sat 26-Dec-15 15:51:56

Sorry, J Crew link was missing: www.jcrew.com/uk/womens_category/Tshirtsandtanktops/longsleevetshirts/PRDOVR~B1304/B1304.jsp

Bodicea Sat 26-Dec-15 21:03:48

Have had less "maternity" wear this time around.
You need a bit in the early stages. I got stuff from jojoba man Bebe, topshop and asos.
Once you have a proper bump clingy clothes that aren't maternity wear are fine.
I have lots of maternity leggings and tights and mostly wear clingy dresses. If they fall straight off the bump they make you look like a whale.
I never took to maternity jeans. They are Not comfy and fall down all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now