Talk

Advanced search

Please help me buy some new clothes after ages!

(15 Posts)
houseHuntinginmanchester Wed 23-Dec-15 22:57:36

So the sales have started and what must be a good three years due to financial reasons , I'm very excited about buying myself some decent clothes from decent shops. All the clothes I own (which is not a lot!) are from primark or h&m so now I can buy some decent things, I really don't want to make any mistakes!

The trouble is that I don't have a clue what suits me! I love the idea of wearing dresses but don't even own one, usually live in skinny jeans and slouchy tops. I'm 31, size 12, 5'7. So much stuff I like is pale grey but I don't know if it will suit me as I have a warm colour with (waist length)dark hair and eyes and it sometimes makes me look washed out. I've attached some pictures of a few things I like in the sales at the moment - will they suit me?!

Any ideas, pictures or links to things that will suit me would be hugely appreciated by all the style gurus on here!

houseHuntinginmanchester Wed 23-Dec-15 23:31:38

Bump, pretty please thanks

Chocolateteabag Wed 23-Dec-15 23:57:05

What is your body shape?

Who's style do you like?

What do you do? (Sahm, wohm, smart or casual or a mix?)

I would hold off spending til you narrow down what your want your "look" to be

Check out Pinterest for ideas of need be, then look for free delivery and free returns so you can do lots of at home trying on before you commit

houseHuntinginmanchester Thu 24-Dec-15 00:11:36

Thanks chocolate smile

My body shape isn't an apple or a pair, is that what you mean? I am slim but with some extra padding around my hips and bum blush I guess that makes me a pear?

I'm a sahm at the moment but will be starting some work at school soon so probably will need to look casual smart. I like casual smart anyway, I don't tend to wear trainers or t shirts/ sports wear kind of clothing.

God, I feel so clueless. Have been at home with two DC and feel like I'm old before my time confused

houseHuntinginmanchester Thu 24-Dec-15 00:18:06

This is me! It's the only pic I have of me on my own and a full body shot so it will have to do ! I look like I have no curves in here but I promise I have a good sized bottom grin

Chocolateteabag Thu 24-Dec-15 08:27:05

I'd still recommend Pinterest for looking at styles and ideas - you can then "pin" things you like to your own boards.
I'm a sahm too - it does feel like you are trying to rejoin society but everything has changed while you were "away"

I get things from Hush, me&em and Baukjen - either sales or via eBay
The stretchy dresses are v useful

Chocolateteabag Thu 24-Dec-15 08:28:46

I have this dress in black and will be looking for the sale to get it in red.

Chocolateteabag Thu 24-Dec-15 08:30:24

I've got the summer version of this dress (short sleeved) in coral and black and its vv easy to wear

houseHuntinginmanchester Thu 24-Dec-15 10:53:11

Yes that's exactly how it feels chocolate! I'll have a look at Pinterest, I'm on there all the time for house boards but not so much style stuff. I don't really follow/admire any celebs either so don't really know anyone's style as such.

I can't open the two links you sent choc - it says page not found. Any chance you can post pics instead?

Chorltonswheelies422 Thu 24-Dec-15 11:01:07

Have you tried dressipi? V g website where you put in your shape and it comes up with recommendations?

houseHuntinginmanchester Thu 24-Dec-15 11:27:41

chorlton just tried it now! It's come up with some very odd reccomendations even though I was careful about which options to select confused

maybemyrtle Thu 24-Dec-15 11:50:22

I think this is Choc's link, OP.

Chorltonswheelies422 Thu 24-Dec-15 17:18:23

House - I didn't say it was perfect just v g smile

houseHuntinginmanchester Thu 24-Dec-15 22:49:10

chorlton - thank you, I didn't mean to sound rude, I probably have no idea if the reccomendations might look good on me or not! 

maybe - oh I really like that dress! Love the shape much better than the one I posted. Thank you smile

Chocolateteabag Fri 25-Dec-15 03:03:30

this was the first dress but just seen they only have XL in stock now sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now