Talk

Advanced search

roseacea

(21 Posts)
zombiemeow Wed 23-Dec-15 21:28:33

Don't know if I have posted this in the right topic.

Have recently been diagnosed with roseacea, I have been prescribed anti biotics which didn't work, and have now been put on a cream called mirvaso. The cream definitely reduces redness but it is still quite bad sad. It kind of just goes patchy.

Is there anything else that have worked for people?

I have to put on layers and layers of foundation before leaving the house and it wears off after a few hours and needs re applying. It's starting to really make me feel fed up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pluto Wed 23-Dec-15 21:38:34

Hi,

I had rosacea badly for 2 years. After taking antibiotics for about 6 months with no impact she referred me to a dermatologist who prescribed roaccutane. I took this much stronger antibiotic for 10 months and my skin is now clear. I also used the mirvaso gel. Roaccutane is not a possibility if you are planning a family or of you have a history of depression. I find the Bare Minerals foundation most kind to my skin, with the anti-redness primer.

zombiemeow Thu 24-Dec-15 06:20:01

Thanks pluto, I had no idea anti biotics would actually work! I thought she just put me on them as she didn't know what else to try.

10 months is a long time to be on them though.

Will try the bare minerals too. Have been using Vichy but it tends to give me spots.

jingscrivvens Thu 24-Dec-15 09:21:24

I've had rosacea for years and just about sorted out this year but not quite there. I use Metronidazole cream at night after cleansing and using a salicyclic acid toner, then a light serum. A couple of times I use an overnight glycolic acid peel. Prefer Eau Avene antirouger moisturiser to La Roche Posay Rosaliac, but thats just preference. Since doing this I haven't had any dry sensitive patches, skin still a bit red but if I stopped the booze that would go! Still got to lock down a cleanser to use, using an Elemis Sensitive one just now which I like but might not be the best.
Foundation wise I prefer Lily Lolo Mineral foundation to the BareMinerals one, I find it a bit cakey.
If you look back on previous threads here you'll find lots of great tips, it's what's helped me smile

NavyAndWhiteStripes Sat 26-Dec-15 18:39:05

I take a zinc supplement and use sudocrem at night (which is a zinc cream). Mostly helps, though stress causes a flare up for me usually.

zombiemeow Sat 26-Dec-15 19:58:55

Thank you everyone for the tips.

I'm pretty useless with all this beauty stuff but will give it a go!

GhettoFabulous Sat 26-Dec-15 20:12:21

Try to work out if anything you're eating or drinking sets it off. peppermint and strawberries are bad for me, and tea to a lesser extent.

My advice would be to be simple and mess about as little as possible. I use argan oil and an occasional wash with Aderma cleansing bar with oats, which are calming.

LakeFlyPie Sun 27-Dec-15 09:00:47

A 3 month course of lymecycline worked for me (seems to have stayed away 3 months since stopping) and using cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser keeps things calm.

Pupsiecola Sun 27-Dec-15 16:18:15

I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and have it under control. Triggers for me are extremes in temperature, heat, cold/wind (just back from skiing and definitely a little redder), red wine, spicy food, hot baths/showers, intense exercise (I do this anyway as it makes me feel fab). I use La Roche Posay cleanser and Eucerin moisturiser. I just bought an anti-redness mask in our ski resort (Avene) and it seems to have helped. I keep skincare simple and rarely try sth new. I drink 2 to 3 litres of water per day.

FrustratedFrugal Sun 27-Dec-15 16:58:06

Mine is under control too, has been for several years. But yeah, patchy redness sounds familiar. Gentle cleansing, avoiding SLS on my face, trying to wash my face only once a day (hot and cold water trigger my symptoms, as do extreme temperatures, particularly freezing air). I avoid too much skin care. When my skin is acting up, I avoid stressing it with products. Now that I am in remission, I can use acid pads a few times a week. I used high coverage foundation for decades but no longer do so, I even out the redness with either Dr Jart BB cream or Lily Lolo mineral makeup, and only use Eucerin 5% urea cream occasionally for moisturizing. When the air is very dry, I use Korean sleeping masks overnight. And I use high SPF sunscreen religiously.

FaFoutis Sun 27-Dec-15 17:01:44

Try a range of different antibiotics. I eventually found one that cleared mine up completely. I suffered from roseacea for 10 awful years before that. I tried absolutely everything and nothing else worked. I just use sunscreen now and haven't had a flare up for a long time.

zombiemeow Sun 27-Dec-15 17:58:47

Thanks everyone, that's a lot to take in!

I have no idea what the triggers are, it seems very red most the time and occasionally fades a bit.

I really didn't know anti biotics would work.

I only use the simple cleanser and toner, is it worth stopping that do you think?

FaFoutis Sun 27-Dec-15 21:45:18

Yes, stop the cleanser & toner. The toner in particular, toners are too harsh.
Dead Sea mud soap, from Boots, is very good for roseacea, better than Simple.

DrewsWife Sun 27-Dec-15 21:50:03

I have it too. I use veil cover cream. It's actually amazing stuff. On their fb page there is lots of pics of folk using it

It's available on prescription too. I used it on my wedding day and there is not a single trace in either the professional pics or family pics

Castrovalva Sun 27-Dec-15 21:57:06

I've had it for years

I wash with plain water and an unperfumed soap. Any other stuff makes it flare up. So I only wear foundation on very special occasions otherwise I'm locked in a spiral of using foundation to cover the flare up caused by the foundation.

I use a loose powder to hide red and shine on a night out, but accept it will cause problems.

Toner is the devils work!

Keep the wind off your face. If I'm doing outdoorsy stuff I tend to wear a scarf I can cover my face with and a hat I can pull down so only my eyes are exposed. That has made a massive difference. I look a dick but I don't care.

Food is a big trigger - red wine especially but rich food in general.

FrustratedFrugal Mon 28-Dec-15 06:00:29

I love castile soap and black nigella soap, they suit my skin better than face washes. I'm not into toners. Less is more for rosacea!

zombiemeow Mon 28-Dec-15 07:44:37

I am so clueless with this stuff!

Am off to boots Thursday so will have a look

YourBubzYourRulzHun Mon 28-Dec-15 09:46:32

I started using Kalme products a couple of months ago. They are really good. Can only get online though.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 28-Dec-15 09:50:38

I had this for two years - nothing worked.
When i put symptoms in NHS website it kept coming back with coldsores.
I slaped coldsore cream on - it stings - was gone in three days and not come back.
Try it.

Sirona Mon 28-Dec-15 10:05:50

Mine is flared up with sun, temperature (either hot or cold) and exercise. I do stay out of the sun now and use sunblock on my face but there's no way in hell I'm giving up exercise. I rarely drink these days but it does flare it up too.

I use cetaphil cleanser and La Roche Posay moisturiser. I've tried metronidazole but it didn't help, some success with drying up the spotty bits with erythromycin and zinc solution. I don't fancy taking oral abs for it as I have stomach issues. Dermablend makeup covers it up rightly, though I keep meaning to try Veil Cover.

Pupsiecola Mon 28-Dec-15 12:18:22

Frustrated, which sunscreen do you use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now