Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - to be shocked by primark prices?

(13 Posts)
Tweetypie100 Wed 23-Dec-15 16:48:18

Don't get me wrong, I like clothes and will spend when something is good enough. My usual pit stop is Zara, but popped into primark this week and was shocked at how tops that used to cost £6-8 now cost £12...it's primark ffs, surely I can wait until the Topshop sale rather than spend that on stuff that may not last?!

rubyflipper Wed 23-Dec-15 22:59:41

YANBU. Primark is more hassle than it's worth. It isn't particularly cheap any more; the sizing is all over the place; and everything is made from polyester so you feel as if you're wearing cling film.

WorraLiberty Wed 23-Dec-15 23:01:10

Wasn't there complaints at how they treated and underpaid their workers?

Maybe that's why prices have risen.

WorraLiberty Wed 23-Dec-15 23:01:45

Sorry I don't mean their actual workers, but the foreign folk who make the clothes.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 23-Dec-15 23:07:03

Yanbu.

I used to love primark. lovely clothing for all ages. nice summer dresses fir Dds

last time.i went hoping to kit out dd2 for pre school I couldn't believe how much more expensive it was and just how shoddy.

I mean it was never the best clothing in the world but was plenty good enough

I haven't been back since. can get better quality from supermarkets far cheaper

LeSquigh Thu 24-Dec-15 16:00:31

YANBU. I went there to get a Xmas jumper for my DS aged 5. The cheapest one was £16. Most of his normal jumpers from Next etc cost less than that. I am happy to pay out but when it's only going to be worn a few times and he will be grown out of it by next year I am loathe to pay it. I went to Matalan instead and paid a tenner.

ZaraW Thu 24-Dec-15 16:56:12

It would be nice to think they have finally become a bit more ethical with regard to paying the employees in the factories a decent wage and that is why prices have risen I doubt it though.

chocomochi Thu 24-Dec-15 17:08:55

Hopefully the price increases will be reflected in the clothe maker's salary rather than in their profits.

louloubelle2 Thu 24-Dec-15 17:27:56

I think its more shocking that the previous prices were considered acceptable in the first place. £12 for a top is nothing, you just don't buy as many of them.

...and yes, here's hoping the extra is going to the manufacturers and not into profit.

i don't see the problem with the price rise. they are using better quality materials, more wool, cotton etc and hopefully it means they are paying the people who manufacture for them a better wage with better conditions so i have no issue with them raising the price of some things. other things are as cheap as they ever were i find

Mydearchild Thu 24-Dec-15 18:51:39

Yanbu I won't even walk into the shop anymore. On the few times I have I hated the shopping experience so much I've just walked out again.

Antimobiles Thu 24-Dec-15 18:56:58

Yes I'm very surprised by their prices these days. I wanted to buy xmas jumpers for dc, they were just £2 cheaper than Next. I opted for Next.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 24-Dec-15 19:13:00

I bet they're just increasing their profits rather than paying better sums to the people in the factories. Some Primark stuff sells out fast, especially if a Vlogger raves about it on their haul video. Then they go for crazy prices on eBay.

I got dd a unicorn jumper ages ago and it's selling for over £30 in eBay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now