Talk

Advanced search

So sick of tops changing shape after a couple of washes!

(55 Posts)
StephenKatz Wed 23-Dec-15 15:19:19

Does anyone else experience this? I don't have a lot of money so tend to buy my basics in H&M, Primark, Matalan etc. I'm pretty fussy anyway because I'm very hourglass, I want something that really goes in at the waist, but every time I find something after a couple of washes they just become awful! Like they stretch horizontally, get massively wide and much shorter.

I'm careful with how I wash things, 40°c and no tumble drying, so it can't be that. Does anyone have any decent recommendations? Preferably basic tops that have a defined waist and wash well? Or is it something I'm doing?

Thurlow Wed 23-Dec-15 15:23:00

Three tops I've recently bought from Dorothy Perkins have stretched horizontally, which has really annoyed me. It never used to be a problem. Like you I wash on 30 or 40 and don't tumble dry, but they've just shrunk half an inch and expanded about two inches. Really annoying.

StephenKatz Thu 24-Dec-15 08:49:18

It's a nightmare isn't it? That's Dorothy Perkins out then...

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 24-Dec-15 08:58:07

Next as bad.
Weirdly Sainsburys vests are great so maybe the rest of tops are as good? I hunted for decent longline vest everywhere that would keep shape and Sainsburys ones are really good- sizing big though so go down at least one maybe two

Doje Thu 24-Dec-15 08:59:09

Not buying from H&M again either. I bought some maternity tops from there that shrank so much they don't even fit me now I'm not pregnant.

SeaRabbit Thu 24-Dec-15 09:01:04

Uniqlo tops keep their shape IME.

SheSparkles Thu 24-Dec-15 09:03:07

It's the rubbish cheap and nasty fabrics which are being used these days so that clothes can be made cheaply. It totally does my head in-I hate wearing synthetics as my body runs a bit hot, so I always end up a bit of a sweaty Betty, and nothing seems to hold its shape.
It's not you it's them

Autumn2014 Thu 24-Dec-15 10:07:18

I thought it was just me! Place marking to follow the thread.

Orangeanddemons Thu 24-Dec-15 10:11:15

I just take them back if they go out of shape. All the shops you mention produce very open knit fabric as it's cheaper than a denser knit. But the more loosely knitted ones have less stability so go out of shape easier. Look for a heavier weight knit

SisterNancySinatra Thu 24-Dec-15 10:14:08

I think 40• is way to hot for tops , I wash my nice stuff at 20•. And find there's not so much fading and stretching . Underwear and jeans at 40• .

StephenKatz Thu 24-Dec-15 13:29:54

Do you think so Sister? Maybe I should try 20°c, although I'm not sure my washer has that setting confused

In the meantime glad to know it's not just me! Has anyone had any success with anywhere then? I'm going to give Sainsbury a try!

FrankSpencer Thu 24-Dec-15 17:56:10

Gap maybe? I bought 3 100% basic cotton tops months and months ago and they still keep their shape. I have the same figure as you OP and misshapen tops really stand out and I look frumpy as hell. My budget is low too so I only ever can buy from eBay second hand or when items are heavily discounted in the shops. I'll look out for Sainsburys tops though. See how it goes.

StephenKatz Sat 26-Dec-15 17:14:11

I looked at Gap and also Uniqlo today (online) neither has anything left in my size sad

SuburbanCrofter Sat 26-Dec-15 18:31:50

OK, I have tried the following brands and they have all changed shape (washing at 40 degrees):

Gap
Next
Uniqlo
H&M
Lands End
M&S
Boden

The search continues hmm

bimandbam Sat 26-Dec-15 18:37:10

I bought a load of vest tops from next and from Red Herring at debenhams this year. The ones from next have all halved in length but the red herring ines have retained their shape. But got little holes or dropped a seam somewhere!

I do tumble dry most things but if you can't tumble dry casual clothes without them shrinking what can you tumble dry ffs.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 26-Dec-15 18:54:37

Try washing at a lower temperature and a really short wash, plus low spin.

I wash all my clothes on a 15 minute wash at 30 degrees and they hold there shape, even the primarni ones.

SuburbanCrofter Sat 26-Dec-15 20:55:52

The trouble is, I find that if I wash them at a lower temperature, it doesn't properly wash the sweat out of the armpits...

starsinyourpies Sat 26-Dec-15 21:15:29

Jigsaw T shirts are expensive but keep their shape beautifully and are good for hourglass.

MsMims Sun 27-Dec-15 02:53:10

No recommendations but watching the thread as I have the same problem OP.

I've got some Matalan T-shirts that must be 5+ years old which I'm too scared to chuck away as they still have their shape and define my waist. No idea what the quality is like there now though. I'm also hourglass shaped and anything that doesn't define my waist makes me look frumpy and larger than I really am.

Chorltonswheelies422 Sun 27-Dec-15 04:30:52

I'm also an hourglass - I have a lot of tops from gap that are vneck and stop at my hip. Had them a good 2 years now and they are still in good shape

whataboutbob Sun 27-Dec-15 09:22:44

I stopped buying from H&M about 7 years ago after a top i bought shrunk 2 sizes after i'd washed according to the instructions. I bought the same top again as it suited me, the same thing happened again. The second time I took it to the shop and described the problem. They sent it to be analysed and then sent me a snooty letter saying they found no problem and it was due to my inappropriate washing technique. I really felt they were lying rather than have to admit there was something underpar with their textiles.
I think the rising price of cotton which happened more than a decade ago has made manufacturers use poorer quality fibres. When I find vintage eg pre 1990s cotton garments in charity shops the cotton is always far superior to what is available in the high street shops now.

whataboutbob Sun 27-Dec-15 09:25:10

I've had similar problems with Boden, Gap, Next.
Maybe there's a gap in the market for more expensive, but more durable cotton clothes? Or maybe I'm just a dreamer.

treaclesoda Sun 27-Dec-15 09:33:40

I have some ancient long sleeve t shirts from Vero Moda which have kept their shape really well - no shrinking up, stretching out or twisting of seams. Gap used to be great quality but now it's terrible. Thin tops, twisted seams, and the fabric develops holes very easily too. angry

I find Sainsburys tops to be better quality cotton, thicker, but they are never long enough.

I'll probably get thrown off style and beauty for this but for plain cotton tops from <coughs> Bhs are quite good quality. But again, I find them a bit too short.

Flingingmelon Sun 27-Dec-15 09:51:03

You won't find cheap clothes that don't shrink. Especially viscose and cotton jersey ones.
Factories used to wash the fabric before they made the garments, which is when the fabric shrunk. This took time and also cost more ( I.e 1000 metres made 800 garments). In the massive push for cheaper garments that were delivered more quickly, the factories stopped doing it. Suddenly you saved a week and 1000 metres made 1000 garments.
Retailers decided that customers preferred cheap to good quality (thanks Primark) so they didn't complain when the garment shrinkage test results suddenly got so rubbish (unless they had stock issues and then what a surprise, the order gets rejected.)

Things shrink less at thirty so they just put things like 'save the planet, wash at thirty' on their labels. They aren't doing this to save the planet.

Polyester doesn't shrink as much but then you have to wear polyester.

If you want to avoid shrinkage try more expensive stores that don't change their product so often, but as most retailers think fast is best, it's not an easy proposition.

WhatamessIgotinto Sun 27-Dec-15 10:40:56

I have a load of H & M and Next fine knit jumpers which i always wash inside out on a 30° half hour wash. The H & M are fine but the Next (more expensive) ones have shrunk and are out of shape. Next adult clothes are shocking quality these days, though I find the kids clothes OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now