Talk

Advanced search

If I was going to start wearing makeup on a regular basis, what would be my essential items?

(42 Posts)
Porcupinepantaloons Tue 22-Dec-15 19:34:42

And what would you recommend on a limited budget? confused

I'm 34 and have recently seen some photos of me with my usual bare face and thought maybe it's time to start faking a youthful glow confused

I've never really bothered about make up unless it's for an occasion. I was very acne prone as a teen right through my 20s and lots of products made it worse. My face didn't used to look so worn out and rough. blush

So what should I have in my make up bag that is quick and easy and will make me look like me, but more alive!

Please assume I starting from scratch as very few things I own are less than 6mo! mostly over 2 years blush

MadauntofA Tue 22-Dec-15 19:40:57

I don't wear makeup and am a few years older than you but completely understand what you mean. On the few occasions I do wear something, clarins beauty flash balm gives my skin a natural healthy glow without looking like makeup. Or maybe tinted moisturiser? Good quality mascara and lipgloss

pinkoneblueone Tue 22-Dec-15 19:41:15

Following as I too am interested in doing the same as I am always bare faced and think I should make the effort

MadauntofA Tue 22-Dec-15 19:41:50

Just seen limited budget, so not clarins, but I think boots did a version of the beauty flash balm

WeSailTonightForSingapore Tue 22-Dec-15 19:45:45

A good foundation and concealer - imo this is where its best to make an investment. Eg MAC or Bobbi Brown. You can get mineral foundation which is good for spot prone skin.

Mascara and blush would be my other essentials, but you don't need to spend a lot here. Maybelline for mascara and bourjois or Sleek for blusher.

How is your skin generally, op? Would you need to do any work there first, or are you generally happy with your complexion?

LittleBearPad Tue 22-Dec-15 19:46:07

CC cream, mascara and blusher plus lippy would be a good start. If you ditch one then get Vaseline not Lipstick. Vaseline is also great for taming eyebrows.

No7 is good for most things.

gerbo Tue 22-Dec-15 19:52:16

I'm 38 and on a budget. I like minimal make up. Have stuck with these for years and all is well.....

Rimmel concealer for spots or small marks (the best, small cream coloured stick)-£4 ish
Rimmel black extra lash mascara -£4 ish
No7 under eye concealer, silver stick thingy you cover eye bags/rings with-£11 ish but lasts ages
Max factor rose cream blush in small circular pot to liven cheeks, tap with forefinger and rub on cheeks.- £?6 ish, lasts months and months.

I work every day and these four products take me probably 3 mins to apply.

Simple! When going out I add in Rimmel eyeliner and no7 tinted moisturiser as I hate the feeling of foundation every day.

Aveeno cream is excellent at moisturising and not irritating dry delicate face skin.

Kennington Tue 22-Dec-15 19:54:01

Mascara plus eyelashes curlers and a light blusher will take years off.

After that it depends if you want to add concealer or illuminator or bronzer but if you don't wear make up I wouldnt bother yet.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 22-Dec-15 19:54:35

I would definitely recommend a mineral powder foundation - it is the only thing I have found that doesn't aggravate my spot-prone skin.

As others have said a blush and mascara are basics. Anything other than that depends on you - I usually emphasise my eyes a bit - light dust of shadow for day-to-day, or eyeliner for occasions. Other people are more about lips.

Plateofcrumbs Tue 22-Dec-15 19:55:13

Oh yeah and an under eye concealer!

Cantwaittillboxingday Tue 22-Dec-15 19:59:47

I don't like the feeling of foundation on my face but I like Clinique tinted moisturiser which is light and glowy.

I always wear eyeshadow, a light eyeliner and mascara and occasionally lipstick.

If I wear blusher I look overdone and clownlike.

Cantwaittillboxingday Tue 22-Dec-15 20:00:53

So for you I would say tinted moisturiser, concealer, eyeshadow and mascara as a start.

Outcomesthebunnyofdeath Tue 22-Dec-15 20:10:22

I never used to wear anything but mascara, probably until I was about your age. Now I love bare minerals foundation it makes such a difference and achieves that glowy skin look without looking over done.

I wear bm primer, foundation and a dusting of their all over face colour - warmth for me. Then a bit of eyeliner and mascara. Takes me 10 mins but I can whip it all on much quicker if I need to. I tend to do more smokey eyes if I am going out.

SwedishEdith Tue 22-Dec-15 20:18:01

If starting from scratch, I'd go with a tinted moisturiser like Boots No 7

A cream blusher like Maybelline

Eyebrow pencil like Rimmel's here

This is a good mascara - Max Factor Masterpiece

And Boot's Natural Collection eye shadows are good for experimenting

Bourjois and Natural Collection eye liners are good as well. And if you want to use a face powder, I think Max Factor's Creme Puff is a good basic

All of these are pretty inexpensive so good for trying out. Then you can upgrade to more expensive stuff if you like - but these are good everyday basics, I think.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 22-Dec-15 20:23:30

For a natural looking light foundation I'd recommend Laura Geller balance and brighten - it's a swirl of different tones which balances out your complexion, without being heavy and mask-like. I can't be bothered with the bare minerals type, this is much easier. Then a mascara, eye liner and lip gloss (maybe a chubby stick as they're quite sheer?) and you're sorted!

Porcupinepantaloons Tue 22-Dec-15 20:28:47

Blimey! So many suggestions! grin (a little bit confused too!)

wesail my skin is very much combination - dryness on chin and cheeks at times (especially in winter), cystic acne around jawline and cheeks - usually only one or two at a time, oily t zone.

I've found tinted moisturiser to get quite shiney on my nose - are they better now than a few years ago?

I've had a mineral foundation from lily lolo which is in my current elderly kit. It's ok but it probably is getting on a bit
<tries to remember how long ago we went to the last wedding>

I'm not keen on the feel of lipstick and it never lasts so won't be using that every day - Vaseline is a good swap. smile

SaltMarshPirate Tue 22-Dec-15 20:29:31

I would try a mineral foundation brand called 'Lily Lolo'. I have found their foundations to be absolutely brill; not too scary in terms of coverage and they give you the glow you mentioned.
Try a Maybelline mascara (always end up going back to these) and a tinted lip balm. Boujois blusher is awesome, too.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 22-Dec-15 20:31:07

The chubby sticks don't feel like lipstick, and aren't sticky like gloss - give them a try

Porcupinepantaloons Tue 22-Dec-15 20:31:33

My eyebrows are thick and dark and heavy - they get a regular tweasing already and don't need thickening up. smile

SaltMarshPirate Tue 22-Dec-15 20:31:48

Oops, X post. If you didn't get on with the Lily Lolo I use Estée Lauder Double Wear. Is heavy coverage though but very user friendly.

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Tue 22-Dec-15 20:34:39

Mascara makes me look less tired - l'oreal telescopic £11

Under eye concealer and for spots - collection 2000 liquid one - best I've ever used!

Blusher to brighten up my palid complexion! - topshop cream blush or Mac powder (expensive but lasts forever)

A naturalish lipstick in a pinky tone helps my blue eyes to stand out. Wilkos have some nice cheap ones n their essence collection at the mo.

Porcupinepantaloons Tue 22-Dec-15 20:46:32

saltmarshpirate - I did like the lily lolo but the pot is getting on a bit lot I never really wore it regularly but it was pretty good, apart from the pot leaving a dusting of powder on me, the carpet etc hmm

mewkins Tue 22-Dec-15 20:53:47

I sexond using mineral foundation. Much lighter than cream and with the right colour it gives a nice even finish. Also a good concealer (I use l'oreal touche magique), blusher, eyeliner and eyebrow pencil (rimmel is brilliant) and use everything lightly.

Petal02 Tue 22-Dec-15 20:54:42

Mascara, tinted moisturiser/BB cream, concealer, blusher. Finished off with a light dusting of loose powder, I swear by Corn Silk.

DownstairsMixUp Tue 22-Dec-15 21:13:59

The skin finishes by Mac are so so good. I use soft and gentle mineralise and I have a lovely healthy glow with it. High beam benefit to is awesome for highlighting. They are the two i could not do without!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now