Talk

Advanced search

Please help! I need a mascara that won't shift, splodge or panda on my oily eyelids!

(24 Posts)
Gingermum Sat 19-Dec-15 21:51:03

I'm in my mid forties and have tried more mascaras than Christopher Biggins. I also use the Urban Decay eyelid primer and a dusting of powder, but I've never found a mascara that really stays put. The longest one has ever lasted is three hours before appearing in blobs on my eyelids.

I don't mind paying more. Surely there must be a Holy Grail Mascara out there? Failing that - any tips for keeping mascara/eyeliner etc in place?smile

Mrsj70 Sat 19-Dec-15 21:54:58

I had exactly the same problem, then heard about tubing mascara. I bought L'Oreal Double extension beauty tubes mascara - no panda eyes since! About 12 quid in Boots I think

midnightmoomoo Sat 19-Dec-15 22:00:51

I really like Clinique Naturally Glossy mascara, it stays put all day and doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes.

Gingermum Sat 19-Dec-15 22:15:52

Thanks Mrsj and CoCo. smile

WhiteHairReally Sat 19-Dec-15 22:17:54

Same problem here but, based on advice on here, No. 7 Stay Perfect tubing mascara ( gold tube about £12) stays put until you wash it off with warm water ( and an old Liz Earle muslin)

LittleMiss77 Sat 19-Dec-15 22:53:46

Yep... what everyone else says - you need a tubing mascara.

I have the No7 one mentioned above but have to use a different wand as the one younget with it is just a ball of plastic spikes and i cant do anything with it. But it is good.

Clinique mascara is good too - same principle as the No7 in that its waterproof but only comes off with water, but they come with proper brushes on their wands and for that alone, i give them full marks

(P.s i have incredibly oily skin and these are the only 2 mascaras i have found that do not smudge at all)

treaclesoda Sat 19-Dec-15 22:59:44

The Clinique tubing mascara is amazing. As an experiment I once put it on and then sat and rubbed my eyes like mad, just to see if I could shift it. I ended up with sore red eyes (I got a bit carried away) but not a hint of the mascara shifting.

At the opposite end of the budget, Boots Natural Collection waterproof mascara, £2, is also very very smudgeproof.

WhiteHairReally Sun 20-Dec-15 00:24:55

LittleMiss thank you. I too have found the No7 'brush' a bit meh. I just thought it was me though.

aliasjoey Sun 20-Dec-15 00:29:14

Also tubing mascara here ( M&S gold stay perfect) I'm 45 and only discovered this last year after many years of looking ridiculous

ovenchips Sun 20-Dec-15 00:35:54

Estee Lauder Doublewear mascara (think I use the lengthening one). It's old style not tubing. It never, ever, ever smudges. I cried absolute buckets this week at something (the top of the top I was wearing got damp!) and my eyes were not remotely smudgy.

And it stays on until you decide to remove it. Which isn't easy tbh but I guess that's price you pay for it not budging during the day.

Carpaccio Sun 20-Dec-15 07:54:37

Estee Lauder Double Wear mascaras are tubing mascaras.

I think they are better than Clinique Lash Power as I have found that to flake a bit.

L'Oreal beauty tubes is also good but it can feel a bit rubbery on my lashes, sticking together and sticking to my glasses if they touch my lashes.

GeorginaWorsley Sun 20-Dec-15 08:15:11

I share your problem and have recently changed to Chanel waterproof.
I love it.
It doesn't budge even through Insanity and Metafit workouts grin

TwoInTheMourning Sun 20-Dec-15 08:34:08

I am also in my mid 40s and have experienced the same problem for the last 2 years or so. I think it's related to ageing unfortunately as I have worn mascara since I was a teen and this never happened before. I have to walk my DD to school and then walk to work in the mornings, by the time I get to work my mascara is often running down my cheeks and my eyes feel sore. My usual brands are Maxfactor and Lancome.

I don't like the idea of waterproof because they're a pain to remove. I've never heard of tubing mascaras but from what I'm reading here Clinique tubing sounds well worth trying!!! I'll buy it today and report back!!

TwoInTheMourning Sun 20-Dec-15 08:37:22

Sorry but could someone link the the Clinique tubing mascara you're talking about? I want to make sure I get the right one...

WavingNotDrowning Sun 20-Dec-15 09:25:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WavingNotDrowning Sun 20-Dec-15 09:27:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SorrelForbes Sun 20-Dec-15 09:48:39

Lash Power

Cattington Sun 20-Dec-15 10:59:36

Ive had this issue always. 55 here. the only mascara that has ever done the job for me is by Blinc
(tubing). I think large Boots stock it now but I usually get it from their site.

TwoDrifters Sun 20-Dec-15 11:05:17

Hello! Just another thought - I get my eyelashes tinted blue/black every 6-8 weeks or so by Shavata (once by the lady herself in her flagship Knightsbridge store but more often than not by the concession stands in my nearest House of Fraser!)

That way I don't worry in between about mascara at all but my lashes always look nicely dark from the moment I wake up until going to sleep smile

Gingermum Sun 20-Dec-15 12:34:19

TwoDrifters thanks for the tip. How much does it cost?

Gingermum Sun 20-Dec-15 12:35:55

Twointhemorning do report back! Am interested in hearing how you get on. I did try the Blinc tubing mascara and while it did stay on for a good while, it still flaked after about six hours.

TwoDrifters Sun 20-Dec-15 13:04:48

It's £19 and I find it very relaxing laying back in the chair and nearly always drift off smile

See if there's one near you? www.shavata.co.uk/studio-locator/#London

TwoDrifters Sun 20-Dec-15 13:05:47

(The above link says "London" but keep scrolling down and it will show you all the others!)

Destinysdaughter Sun 20-Dec-15 21:49:00

Another vote for Clinique Lash Power, like the small brush too! It's £19.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now