Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a capsule wardrobe?

(7 Posts)
Geraniumred Sat 19-Dec-15 20:36:00

Is creating a capsule wardrobe really hard? I would love one as we have a house with hardly any storage space and I am not very good at fashion. I work in a school (a TA) so my week day clothes do not have to differ too much from my weekend clothes. I am a tall size 12.

Kennington Sat 19-Dec-15 22:10:52

Yep and it is a massive time saver.
Skinny black, grey or navy trousers from COS - cropped in summer, long in winter.
Merino wool crew neck jumpers - mainly in navy and charcoal grey. For winter - with a cami beneath.
Silk t shirts in summer, same colours.
I save colour for jewellery.
I wear scarves and bags with snake print but dark colours.
Quite a bore!
I shop in marks and spencer, uniqlo, and other stories, and COS for trousers. Limiting shops saves time.
Weekends it is black skinny jeans, plain or coated - marks or boden.

Pretty much. I have quite a few clothes but for the last couple of seasons, I've out lots of them away and stuck to a much reduced wardrobe. I've decided that since I pretty much live in black jeans and a black or grey top or jumper for casual, and black or grey skirts, trousers or dresses and black tops and jackets for work, there's not much point in me keeping or buying much else.

BlueEyedWonder Sun 20-Dec-15 09:41:56

I've reduced down my wardrobe over the last 18 months. Not necessarily a capsule wardrobe but I stick to the following minimal principles:
1) only things that I actually wear (as opposed to buying things I think one should own)
2) Limit colour. I buy largely a neutral clothes - black, grey, beige and tobacco shades. I then add one or 2 accent colours each season - Just a t-shirt or a scarf or necklace.
3) Do not repeat buy. I used to buy the same things over and over. There's only so many pairs of jeans one can wear! I now go for quality over quantity and replace when worn out.

Geraniumred Mon 21-Dec-15 14:46:32

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I think I have a tiny amount of clothing, but not a capsule wardrobe as it doesn't particularly match. I'll look at it all with a critical eye once Christmas is over. I would be really nice not to have to think too hard about what to wear and yet still look OK.

cressetmama Mon 21-Dec-15 16:00:24

Colour is the key, and sticking to a limited palette works. Like PPs, I tend to stick to denim, navy and grey basics (with lots of black leftover from the past). I add seasonal/fashion colour with T-shirts (mostly Uniqlo) and scarves. White works with all of the above (but maybe not for TA work if you're in primary)! And I like red or wine coloured shoes for contrast and to cheer things up.

PennyPants Mon 21-Dec-15 20:37:27

Yes I do for work and my job is in a school too.
We aren't allowed to wear jeans
I roughly have 5 of each:
Tops, skirts, jumpers, cardigans, dresses. Most work year round, some are seasonal.
So easy to get ready in the mornings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now