Talk

Advanced search

Help - face needs help with wrinkles and spots and generally looking awful

(15 Posts)
minininipie Fri 18-Dec-15 08:26:39

Winter is really cruel to my face. I always look washed out, tired and now I'm getting a bit older - completely wrinkly around the eyes. Also suffer from horrible spots.

I don't normally use any kind of foundation, just a bit of bronzer / blusher but I feel like my face needs something more now. Does anyone have any recommendations for great face makeup to cover bags, spots and wrinkles and give a healthy glow? I don't want anything too heavy. Flexible on the price. If it works, I am happy to pay!

Thanks

mackinnonka Fri 18-Dec-15 09:12:09

I think Winter hates everyone's face most of the time! The cold can dry your skin out which makes you prone to spots (skin producing excess oils etc blah blah) so maybe try to make sure you use a good moisturiser regularly or a moisturising mask.

I use a Clarins foundation which is really good, really light and long lasting coverage - its called Everlasting, its a liquid one, looks best applied with a brush I think.

I also recently 'invested' in a Laura Mercier cover up palette, 'secret camouflage' for the delightful spots that have invaded my face during pregnancy - its really great for covering up the redness and its oil free so wont contribute to the spots. Not cheap but I got told it will basically last me forever, again best applied with a small brush like a lip brush. There are two colours to each palette so you can mix to match skin tone. The woman demonstrated it on me in the shop (not something I normally like doing but I was desperate for a good solution) and I was sold straightaway.

Would also recommend using a primer like Clarins beauty flash balm as it helps maintain the make up longer and gives you a bit more of a glow.

As you can prob see I am a bit of a product addict! Hope you find something you like soon.

BoboChic Fri 18-Dec-15 09:18:20

A Clarisonic is really good for general skin brightening and for clearing up spots. Use a good moisturiser afterwards - even a moisturising mask.

Hair colour can make you look less washed out.

minininipie Fri 18-Dec-15 10:20:16

Have Clarisonic but have to admit my moisturizer is rubbish. Waiting for a good one for Christmas!

That Laura Mercier palette sounds good thanks Mac. Will get out my Clarins primer too - I have that but never use it! And look for my touche eclat, that might help. Since going back to work after mat leave my beauty regime has gone to pot. Thanks for the tips!

allthekingsshoes Fri 18-Dec-15 12:41:25

I second a clarisonic. Tinted moisturiser? I think nars and Laura mercier are pretty good. Then your usual blusher . I use a serum too - loads on the market but clairns double serum highly rated.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 18-Dec-15 14:27:23

It's your skin that's the problem. The colds affecting it.

Look on Caroline Hirons blog, she literally saved my skin.

minininipie Fri 18-Dec-15 14:57:20

Ok fluffy thanks. Will look now!

Wagglebees Sat 19-Dec-15 05:18:10

I get this every Winter. It's very frustrating but if you make a few changes it can be sorted out and controlled. Skin that is dull, prone to spots and feels a bit sensitive is usually dehydrated rather than dry. An oil balm cleanser with a flannel to remove it would be perfect.

Make sure you drink a lot of water and start taking high dose vitamin D, zinc and a fish oil. Cut out sugar, although obviously that'll probably have to wait until after Xmas! Eat an avocado a couple of times a week. Lots of vegetables.

I've tried every concealer going from £2 drugstore ones to £30 high end ones. You name it, I'll have tried it. The very best one I've tried for blemishes and spots is this one, www.amazingcosmetics.com/products/amazing-concealer# I promise you it's the absolute bollocks. Use a very small firm brush to apply, (they sell one that's good but you'll pick up one anywhere that sells make up), and then blend using a beauty blender like this one www.superdrug.com/Real-Techniques/Real-Techniques-Miracle-Complexion-Sponge/p/742258?gclid=CN_su8SU58kCFcm6GwodZbkC7Q&gclsrc=aw.ds The blender makes a real difference and stops it looking caked on without removing any of it.

Hope some of that helps. You have my sympathies. My skin is getting on my tit at the moment. wine

Wagglebees Sat 19-Dec-15 05:23:18

Oh and I always recommend hibi scrub if the spots are around your chin, lower cheeks and jawline. It's not strictly a face product but is being used more and more by dermatologist in the US. It's about £10 from a pharmacy, you may have to ask for it. It's basically a surgical scrub but it is fantastic for clearing up sore spots, especially cystic acne, and for keeping them at bay. Don't use much and but very vigilant about not getting it anywhere near your eyes. Use after cleanser, before moisturiser/serum etc, rinse really well. Worth a try. I couldn't be without it.

Wagglebees Sat 19-Dec-15 05:24:50

(Or big pet stores sell it as its used on horses hooves!)

minininipie Sat 19-Dec-15 12:38:48

Thanks for the tips waggle! I've been out and purchased myself some serum today, plus some magic spot corrector which will hopefully start to give the skin a boost. Bed stop will be to get some new make up. Will have a look into to the hibi scrub. Was also advised today to only use the Clarisonic once a week!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 19-Dec-15 13:15:25

Caroline Hirons blog doesn't rate them either, I found my skins better with no scrubs at all. I use an acid toner instead to Slough dead skin off.

Cotto Sat 19-Dec-15 17:00:06

I used to get terrible spots- painful ones when I used scrubs etc.
Ditch the Clarisonic and use something like Lush Ultrabland for a month.
Its bloody brilliant -mild and has really made a difference to my wrinkly old face grin

acneresearch2015 Fri 01-Jan-16 17:39:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WanttoFindWorkLifeBalance Fri 01-Jan-16 17:44:12

Another hibiscrub fan here - after years of experimenting it's the one thing that's made a proper difference. I use twice a day - with a hot cloth in eves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now