Help - need to glam up plain, black dress

(5 Posts)
Filiboom Thu 17-Dec-15 21:32:08

I'm currently a SAHM with two small children and finally have not one, but two, Christmassy events that require dressing up a bit. The first is an anniversary dinner at a fancy restaurant in central London and the other is DH's office dinner, also at a fancy London restaurant (there's not many of them and I already know some of them so should be fun).

Unfortunately, fancy clothes are not really part of my life at the moment and, even more unfortunately, I don't really have the budget to indulge. I do, however, have a plain black sleeveless, v-neck dress. It's an old Me & Em one (can't find a link) and is ruched jersey - it's clingy, but flattering (with the right shape wear). I hate my arms and usually wear it with a fine, drapey cardigan, which looks fine, but a bit plain for these occasions. Because of the neckline, I've never found a jacket that looks right and, similarly, button down cardigans also look wrong.

Please could someone recommend me something that I could wear to make the dress more festive, whilst still staying smart. I'm not that fussed about colour (the shoes
I'll wear will probably be either black patent or dark silver), but would love sequins/ sparkles/etc.

The budget is up to £50ish and I ideally need it by Saturday or certainly Tuesday so a proper shop would probably be best....

Thank you very much!

rageagainsttheBIL Thu 17-Dec-15 21:38:10

m.direct.asda.com/george/womens/coats-jackets/sequin-jacket/GEM385936,default,pd.html

Out of stock online but available in my local ASDA

What size are you? If anything up to a 12 you would prob fit this in an 8

www.frenchconnection.com/product/clickandcollect/75DAT/Confetti+Grid+Sequin+Kimono+Jacket.htm

burnishedsilver Thu 17-Dec-15 21:44:14

Is this the dress?

Filiboom Thu 17-Dec-15 22:00:43

Hi there. Yes - that's the dress. And, thank you, I love the FC jacket and think should work. I'm a 10/12 (depending on vanity sizing!) so would be prepared to give the 8 a go.... Will check delivery times.

superbfairywren Fri 18-Dec-15 10:24:53

m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Capelet-With-Mesh-Embellishment/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5591129&cid=4169&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=50&sort=-1&clr=Black&totalstyles=2756&gridsize=3&un_jtt_application_platform=newPlp&un_jtt_redirect# This is gorgeous in real life but has no give in the bottom so you might need a 12. I bought in a 14 and couldn't do it up, so have a 16now and even that's tight around my ribs. It looks beautiful on though. Might be just sparkly enough for festive wear. And will look lovely with that dress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now