Talk

Advanced search

whats wrong with soap and water to wash your face?

(48 Posts)
ggirl Wed 16-Dec-15 20:18:19

its on there for approx 10 seconds
it gets my makeup off
why is it so frowned on?

scandichick Wed 16-Dec-15 21:03:31

Because it strips your skin of its protective barrier - have a read here, for example:

www.snowwhiteandtheasianpear.com/2014/09/skincare-discovery-why-ph-of-your.html?m=1

Penfold007 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:05:37

I'm not so sure it is 'wrong'. I have very dry and sensitive skin so soap makes my skin feel two sizes too small but if it works for you then go for it.

M48294Y Wed 16-Dec-15 21:06:30

There's nothing wrong with it. People love to believe in the hocus pocus.

itsbetterthanabox Wed 16-Dec-15 21:10:01

It's drying. It's not made up. You can feel that it is drying. Why not just use a cheap cleanser that doesn't make skin feel tight?

Katarzyna79 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:13:20

OP I don't think theres anything wrong with it, tis commercial bull to encourage us to ditch simple cheap methods of cleaning for more expensive shite like face cleaners, foams, scrubs, etc I mean its no longer a simple wash and go, its wash your face with item a, then use a toner, then a tonic then your face syrum, then face cream, don't forget your eye cream, when in actual fact no separate eye cream is necessary, although it feels damn good its not a need.

I say do what your skin is happy with. When I was a teen the soap started making my face too dry and taut so I ditched it for cleansers. But in my twenties i found the cleansers too drying and asked my doc. She told me to use a white soap bar or just plain old hot water and flannel, they foam less and it would be the best. She was right i use soap and water and sometimes nothing but hot water. Works for me, i don't get spots at all.

I use an expensive but very basic in terms of ingredients moisturiser. I do like eye creams but i don't make a habit of it, its usually a treat just like make up when I'm feeling good about myself lol

my mother used nothing but soap and water all her life, and good ole baby lotion on her face. She has superb skin, she didn't look her age at all. Wash good moisturiser stay out the sun or use a basic spf, no frills method works why pay stupid money for the same results?

M48294Y Wed 16-Dec-15 21:14:46

Dove soap isn't drying. There's my little tip for everyone. As you are going to slap moisturiser on more or less immediately afterwards (infact I aim to put moisturiser on slightly damp skin) then it doesn't really matter. Imo.

DifferentCats Wed 16-Dec-15 21:17:56

I use soap too. It really depends on how what kind of soap you use. Vegetable soap is not particularly drying and it gets make up off a zillion times faster, so you aren't scrubbing like you would with cream.

ggirl Wed 16-Dec-15 21:19:07

I have tried all sorts of methods ..oil cleansing etc and I have quite combo skin .
Using soap doesnt make my skin feel dry or tight really .

I get spots when I use some moisturisers and i suspect oily cleansers and have concluded that basic is what is working at the moment .

My mum has also been using soap and water all her life and has amazing skin.

ggirl Wed 16-Dec-15 21:20:40

I am using a lovely fig and summat italian soap ..those fancy ones from tk maxx...gorgeous.

TimeToMuskUp Wed 16-Dec-15 21:20:49

Soaps aggravate my sensitive snowflake skin. I can't use it on the DCs, either, as it brings out their eczema. Even gentle ones like Dove.

I don't spend a fortune on skincare but use an SPF every day and always have, and always cleanse at night, even if I'm spangled.

Penfold007 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:25:20

My mum has never put soap on her face, she is almost 80 and has amazing skin. We are all different.

penguinsarecool Wed 16-Dec-15 21:29:55

Soap dries your skin out.

ggirl Wed 16-Dec-15 21:30:41

not everyones

artisanroast Wed 16-Dec-15 21:32:43

I use soap and water. I have no spots or dry patches but I could probably do with using a weekly exfoliant and a daily moisturiser.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 16-Dec-15 21:34:16

I just wash my face with a flannel in the bath everynight using hotwater and I don't get spots ever, nivea slathered on before bed and I'm done and dusted.

Flumplet Wed 16-Dec-15 21:34:28

I love my Clinique soap!! I've never found anything that makes my skin feel quite so clean and smooth.

Katarzyna79 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:37:08

exfoliant is a scrub right?. what about face masks people say once a week. i swear it used to dry my skin so bad, i do have sensitive skin, i thought to hell witht that advice, its not for everyone. It's shame i like those mud masks that go warm on the skin they feel great, just makes my skin red.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 16-Dec-15 21:41:31

"why is it so frowned on?"
Because it can't be marketed at £40/100ml pot. <cynical>

ditto toner versus splashes of cold water.

ggirl Wed 16-Dec-15 21:45:40

I do use a derma flannel to exfoliate

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Dec-15 21:47:56

I use soap. Any old cheap soap will do. If I don't my skin, especially round hairline and in my ears feels greasy.
I also don't moisturise...probably should, it's been a while since I've been ided buying alcohol

amarmai Wed 16-Dec-15 23:21:09

I gave up soap a decade ago- use only water now. All good and cheap!

VegetablEsoup Wed 16-Dec-15 23:25:57

nothing wrong with a bar of soap.
I have exzema and anything else makes my skin peel off.
warm water, flannel, a little soap.
nothing feels cleaner.

horseygeorgie Wed 16-Dec-15 23:32:46

I use coal tar soap. I have excellent skin, like my Mum who uses Dove and Oil of Ulay. Each to their own and I can't afford anything else!

horseygeorgie Wed 16-Dec-15 23:33:16

Oil of Olay now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now