Talk

Advanced search

Cheap easy skin care routine

(18 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 15-Dec-15 17:28:45

I've no doubt this question has been asked a million times before but here goes - can anyone recommend cheap products that are easy to use? Like a cleanser/toner/moisturiser? I used to use Clinique until I went on maternity leave and liked that but I need budget now. I'm currently just using facial wipes and my skin is terrible. I wear make up so it needs to remove that too. I have combination skin, an awful diet and a 3 week old baby plus two toddlers. I hate washing my face with a flannel and therefore don't do it unless I shower so ideally a cleanser I can remove with a cotton wipe or similar. Any ideas?!

ChipInTheSugar Tue 15-Dec-15 17:33:49

Could you cope with hot cloth cleansing? Superdrug or Nspa at Asda do reasonably priced products. For moisturisers try the Lacura range at Aldi.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 15-Dec-15 17:35:29

What's hot cloth cleansing? Is it just wiping it off with a hot flannel?

Oil cleansing is best, IME, for makeup removal on a budget. Can use olive oil but I personally like a mix of hemp, sunflower (must be for facial use, not for eating), & a small amount of castor oil. I make a small bottle & use it in a few weeks. I also like a microfibre cloth for removing it - cheeky wipes are great & come in a multipack so you can get a clean one each time.

Or, plain castile soap, for example Oliva. I can get a massive block from my local health food shop for £3.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 15-Dec-15 17:45:38

I've heard of oil cleansing and whilst I like the idea, in reality I won't get round to buying different oils etc. my shopping opportunities are limited to Aldi and superdrug/boots

everythingsgoingsouth Tue 15-Dec-15 18:00:07

I do hot oils cleansing, but I'm too lazy to faff mixing oils, I just use a bottle of almond oil from the pharmacy section.
massage it in, wipe off with hottish water on a wipe or flannel.
It's good as it takes off make up and softens your skin. I don't moisturise or anything.

Wolpertinger Tue 15-Dec-15 18:26:12

Cheap and easy for combination skin?

Non-foaming cleanser - I would say Cetaphil but it's not fantastic for makeup removal, am sure someone else can recommend something. Would be good for a second cleanse if you initially swiped off makeup with a cheap micellar water.

Clearasil pads (ideally the fruit ones but any will do) are the mega budget salicylic toner option if you are prone to spots.

Moisturiser - depends how oily you are. I can use Nivea at night but then look really really shiny, not an option for day - tis v v cheap though. If prone to spots then really you want to stick to an oil free option until skin settled.

specialsubject Tue 15-Dec-15 19:09:56

decent food and lots of sleep. I think you may have a problem with the latter at the moment!

readyforno2 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:15:35

I use coconut oil. Hot cloth.
It can be pretty prices so shop around.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 16-Dec-15 11:47:48

Yup no sleep doesn't make for a lovely complexion :/ how do you do the oil thing then? Rub it on then wipe it off? Moisturise and tone afterwards or not?

Justawaterformeplease Wed 16-Dec-15 11:50:34

I would second Cetaphil. It's brilliant removing make-up - particularly if you use it on dry skin then rinse/ wipe off with a flannel - and cheap, too. Really sorted my wrinkly, acne-ridden skin out.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 16-Dec-15 12:05:56

Is this what you mean m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Cetaphil-Gentle-Skin-Cleanser-236ml_1238606/

twolittleboysonetiredmum Wed 16-Dec-15 12:06:11

Looks quite good if so

chocadd1ct Wed 16-Dec-15 12:24:24

another vote for oil cleansing. castor oil of eBay or Amazon and olive oil from lidl. wink

Wolpertinger Wed 16-Dec-15 12:24:50

Yes, that's the one. It's often recommended by dermatologists because it's basically very bland and non-stripping. It lasts for ages. There's a moisturiser as well which again isn't glamorous but does the job.

Destinysdaughter Wed 16-Dec-15 12:36:37

I find this v good, especially for dry or sensitive skin. Can often get it for £3 when there's a £5 off voucher!

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FNo7-Soft-%26-Soothed-Gentle-Cleanser_1259431%2F%3Fcm_mmc%3Dbmm-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots%2520Shopping%2520-%2520Category%2520-%2520Beauty

Justawaterformeplease Wed 16-Dec-15 12:38:12

Another thing that's helped my skin is really strong probiotics/antioxidants.

Rosequartz24 Wed 16-Dec-15 19:30:35

According to caroline Hirons ( beauty blogger on you tube) one of the best cleanser and toners on a budget is L'Oreal age perfect for mature skin- doesn't matter if you're not technically mature skin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now