Talk

Advanced search

I could do with some help - scarf for DM Christmas present - specific requirements.

(27 Posts)
ConnieSpry Tue 15-Dec-15 03:48:25

I haven't posted before for help but I could do with some now. You can tell from the time of my post I have woken up worrying about this (don't worry I am not that stressed but just would like to get Mum what she would like and posting whilst kettle boils)

She reluctantly gave me a present idea for Christmas and then once I quizzed her these things came out shock

She wants a scarf she can wear with a dark coat to "brighten it up" - so

- Not a warm snuggly scarf (i.e. thick wool cashmere etc)
- not silk
- So - cotton or v light wool
- background colour light pink (not shocking pink) - verging on coral would be ok
- some mauve / purple colours in a pattern on it also good (I don't think she just wants a block colour)

I can get to easily and have checked out John Lewis and Zara - nothing doing - Also I have been into a Jaeger - colours too autumnal and probably a bit expensive.

Budget - £40 ish. prepared to pay postage on top of that or a wee bit more if perfect.

It sounds such an easy thing but I don't seem to be able to do it smile. That said I would like to get my mum what she would like.

If anyone can help I would be very, very grateful - in the meantime my rubbish attempts will go on .......

AmusingSpoonerism Tue 15-Dec-15 04:04:40

Slightly over budget at £59 but jigsaw have lots of scarves with a touch of pink or coral - nothing exactly as you describe so probably not quite right but better than nothing?

AmusingSpoonerism Tue 15-Dec-15 04:09:03

Or one ink{http://m.oasis-stores.com/woodblock-artisan-scarf/all-accessories/oasis/fcp-product/5616200\m.oasis-stores.com/woodblock-artisan-scarf/all-accessories/oasis/fcp-product/561620]]0} is quite nice (and/but cheap)

AmusingSpoonerism Tue 15-Dec-15 04:10:10

Link fail

m.oasis-stores.com/woodblock-artisan-scarf/all-accessories/oasis/fcp-product/5616200

Trumpton Tue 15-Dec-15 04:17:12

Accesorize?

Trumpton Tue 15-Dec-15 04:23:53

Two more from Accesorize

ConnieSpry Tue 15-Dec-15 04:35:04

Amusing- thank you - that is certainly along the lines and the pink is right. Trouble is, she thinks because I have t'internet and live in a city all things are possible! That is a good spot though , because if I can't find the exact thing, I think she would be very happy with that and it will not have broken the budget.

Thank you flowers - very much appreciated.

ConnieSpry Tue 15-Dec-15 04:38:11

Hang on - just googling but just wanted to say straight out - thanks to those helping me out at this time of night! Will report back. Thanks Trumpton

AmusingSpoonerism Tue 15-Dec-15 04:41:00

Got to pass the interminable night feeds somehow, might as well try to be useful to someone flowers

icklekid Tue 15-Dec-15 04:41:45

John Lewis fat Face m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/fat-face-multi-stripe-scarf-pink/p2039514?sku=234526813&kpid=234526813&s_kenid=87125d50-bbab-4e27-81f8-a3ae023451d0&s_kwcid=403x924136&tmad=c&tmcampid=73#page_loaded

icklekid Tue 15-Dec-15 04:45:45

Pink/purple but probably too much pattern www.whitestuff.com/mobile/accessories/womens-accessories/scarves-snoods/red-handicraft-floral-scarf/

ConnieSpry Tue 15-Dec-15 04:56:13

Right - why did I not ask for help before grin

Trumpton that is vey pretty & I think she would like it. I also like Amusing's suggestion.

So (and unfair I know ) but a follow up question - DM does not have easy access to some of the more popular shops. Do you think if I bought her two cheaper scarves so that she could swap them around that would be better than trying to hang out for a "better make" ( for want of a better word). Her coat will be a "good make" but years old. I think she just wants to go out and her friends say "Oh Connie'sMum - you look nice"

I have probably expressed that very badly but I hope you get the sentiment.

ConnieSpry Tue 15-Dec-15 04:59:48

ickle - thank you - I think she wants a bit more second colour than your first - however, the second one I am going to look at again.

Good lord - wherever else in short order in the small hours of the morning could you ever get this help.

Thank you all.

gonegrey56 Tue 15-Dec-15 08:04:30

TKMax usually have a good selection but you have to hunt through some dire ones to find the gems . The Jaeger sale is now on with a lot of scarves reduced or look at the Jaeger Outlet website as well .

Maryz Tue 15-Dec-15 08:30:15

Believe it or not, I have a scarf that sounds exactly what you are looking for. dd gave it to me for my birthday, and it came from [siob] Primark, cost about 4 quid.

In fact she gave me three, a coral/red/pink one, one with a black background and a pattern, and a smarter black/grey/silver one. So I can wear the same boring black long coat and boring boots, but at least look as though I've made an effort.

ConnieSpry Tue 15-Dec-15 15:08:03

Thank you gone grey,

Maryz - I think So I can wear the same boring black long coat and boring boots, but at least look as though I've made an effort is exactly what Dm is after.

Thank you all - I've actually ordered the accessorise one and will go through all the other ideas as well and get a second.

Thank you all - I think I am sorted thanks to you. smile

Boleh Tue 15-Dec-15 15:48:18

I have an assortment of probably 20 scarves of very much the sort you describe in an assortment of colours precisely to brighten up the black and grey ensembles I wear to work on a daily basis. Almost all of mine have been picked for around £5 on market stalls or the random little stands in shopping centres (or on holiday - less useful!) claiming to be a pashmina - I can't direct you to anywhere specific but it's worth keeping an eye out for those kind of stalls.

Twinklestein Tue 15-Dec-15 20:04:09

If you're near a TKMaxx are great for scarves.

I've bought lovely Moschino and Valentino scarves there. They have all kinds of different materials.

Trumpton Tue 15-Dec-15 20:38:38

Please say which Accesorize scarf you chose because I linked to three and I am interested. fgrin

ConnieSpry Wed 16-Dec-15 00:48:10

Hi Trumpton - the Butterfly square - it doesn't have the purple/ mauve but I can see her liking that a lot. Thank you. star smile

My plan after all the good ideas is to buy her 2 or 3 less expensive ones so that she can "ring the changes" rather than pin all my hopes on one more expensive one she might not like. She's 77 so Accessorize wasn't my first thought blush shame on me, but she is much better at an insouciant knot than me so if it is pretty and attractive she'll make it look good.

I am planning a trip to TK Maxx now - thanks all for that - and Boleh I think you have exactly what she is after but we are not flush with markets here. I wonder if a trip to a Red Cross charity shop I know in a very "nice" area might be worth a shot. That would be OK wouldn't it?.

gonegrey - I am meant to be economising - minus points for making me aware of the Jaeger sale site grin. There is a lovely blue one on there - artist dot or something but she did say pinks and mauve type colours.

Anyway - again thanks all - you are saving me hours of bad tempered pavement trooping smile.

Trumpton Wed 16-Dec-15 02:27:07

Ah brilliant . I love your use of the word "insouciant " .

I am a huge scarf user, culled my collection recently. Took 15 to charity shop and bought a leopard print cashmere scarf for £1 on my way out !

ChishandFips33 Wed 16-Dec-15 02:52:13

Late to the party but I love scarves!

ConnieSpry Wed 16-Dec-15 03:29:20

Chis - that middle one looks like she might like it - I'll try and google it.

ChishandFips33 Wed 16-Dec-15 23:57:23

I bought that one for my MIL and the coral colour is really nice. Got it from eBay if memory serves me right - no more than £6 or £7 new

Blueturquoise Thu 17-Dec-15 03:48:11

Have you tried becksondergaard scarves
I have a pink leopard print one in a light knit material like you re looking for.
They last really well and if you re not fussy on season then you ll likely come up with a bargain from a good old hunt around, I ll be back with links if I can find any smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now