Talk

Advanced search

awful hands and nails-nail bar virgin

(7 Posts)
Changeychanger Mon 14-Dec-15 22:33:47

I have always had wizened yellowish hands( I'm a sculptor), cracked dry cuticles, short ( often bitten) nails. Over the years I've grown them long and applied strengthener but the quality of my cuticles and hands haven't improved no matter what unguents I applied.
I have short nails now and feel too ashamed to go to a nail place to maybe have short acrylic (?) ones - can anyone advise , will I be laughed out of the salon?

itsbetterthanabox Mon 14-Dec-15 22:49:16

Nope that's what they are there for to do your nails and hands.
You say your nails grow long? Might be worth having a good nourishing luxury manicure with a hand treatment and then either normal polish or gel polish instead of acrylics.
Start now using cuticle oil on your nails everyday and they condition of them will improve a lot.
If you are a sculptor are your hands always in water? If so enhancements won't be your best bet but good natural nail care and manicures would be great.
Try and find a good salon. Avoid anywhere that uses electric efile drills on the natural nail and uses unmarked bottles of product.

Changeychanger Mon 14-Dec-15 22:51:42

Thanks, I have no idea about hand/ nails care. I have worker hands but wanted to beautify them for the festive period.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 14-Dec-15 22:57:51

Ah I see well acrylics aren't a one off. If you only plan to have them for a few weeks the drying done to the nail is not worth it. They are more a long term solution with regular infills. Press on nails would better for an event or gel polish and a moisturising manicure will make them look fab!
Cuticle oil either way every day.

Changeychanger Tue 15-Dec-15 08:08:42

Thanks! Off to purchase cuticle oil. smile

GlitteryShoes Tue 15-Dec-15 08:12:05

I would recommend a good cuticle oil and lots of hand creM. There is something you can buy on Amazon called 'bag balm' meant for cow's udders which had an amazing effect on my hands.
If you go to a nail bar, please check it is reputable. Many of them are staffed by trafficked Vietnamese girls who are being exploited and are very poorly trained.

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 15-Dec-15 08:13:51

You will not be laughed at.

I'm m a nail-biter and at times, my nails have been almost nonexistent.

I go to a nail salon and my hands are pretty again. I have them quite short, so not too much of a shock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now