Talk

Advanced search

Chunky loafers

(17 Posts)
dixiejo Mon 14-Dec-15 20:37:54

I am looking for a chunky loafer to wear with jeans and ankle length trousers. I'm happy in my Nike Air trainers for more casual days but looking for something a bit smarter. I'm seriously considering these Dr Marten Adrian (unisex) loafers but don't want to look like Mutton dressed as lamb (I'm 42) or try-hard. I also wonder if they will work with my otherwise classic-with-a-twist "look".

www.drmartens.com/uk/Men%252527s-Shoes/Dr-Martens-Adrian-Shoe/p/14573001

Any views or helpful insights/alternative suggestions?

Ignore the price for now as I'm hoping to get a bargain in the sales.

Thank you oh wise ones smile

P.s previously posted this in hat by mistake..oops!

Euphemia Mon 14-Dec-15 21:05:47

Schuh have some nice ones.

dixiejo Mon 14-Dec-15 22:22:35

Thanks Euphemia; couple of contenders there.

MrsMarigold Mon 14-Dec-15 22:24:16

www.chiestore.com currently have a love affair with several of these

dixiejo Tue 15-Dec-15 09:06:03

OMG Mrs Marigold there are some beautiful shoes in there! Admittedly, some of the Mary-Janes verged towards Irregular Choice for my personal preference. But some real bobby-dazzlers too. Hsve you ordered from them before and any comment on the quality/service?

Some great suggestions, thank you ladies. Keep 'em coming!

Also, any thoughts on the Dr Marten loafer linked in my original post.....or are you all being too polite to comment?!!

MrsMarigold Tue 15-Dec-15 09:45:55

I know what you mean about verging on irregular choice, they are amazing quality and very well made, not too narrow and the shoe designer had a background in orthopedics. I've only bought them in a shop, but I'm sure the website is kosher - I think there are a few pairs on Sarenza which does really quick delivery.

MrsMarigold Tue 15-Dec-15 09:47:09

I quite like the docs and I'm pretty much the same age and would go for them.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 15-Dec-15 09:51:10

I love the docs. I have a pair of chunky suede style loafers from primark which look expensive and still look good 2 months in

Gruach Tue 15-Dec-15 09:57:00

It hurts me to share these but I feel I should.

I keep meaning to buy something but haven't got round to it yet - so can't vouch for their service.

louloubelle2 Tue 15-Dec-15 10:54:40

I was also going to suggest Grenson. I haven't bought direct from them, but they stock in quite a few places e.g. Coggles. I find them large to size, but they do half sizes which is good.

dixiejo Tue 15-Dec-15 11:39:53

be still my beating heart...those Grenson Clara loafers are magic!

thank you wonderful ladies for your suggestions & encouragement wink

nancy75 Tue 15-Dec-15 12:02:23

I used to wear those DM's as school shoes when I was about 16 and have been toying with the idea of getting them again now. I really like them, the only thing that puts me off is the memory of wearing DM's in - they always used to kill my feet! I had black and ox blood - the ox blood were lovely

Sorefeet1 Tue 15-Dec-15 12:20:12

I have many pair and get most from TUK
www.tukshoes.com

BaffledShirley Tue 15-Dec-15 12:47:26

Grensons are fantastic shoes - would highly recommend them. I have a pair of Claras and Alice boots and they are beautifully made. The Outnet has a good selection of Grensons at decent prices. I have also ordered direct from Grenson but won't again as their customer service was woeful...

dixiejo Tue 15-Dec-15 13:38:13

Yes, Nancy, I had a pair when I was at school too! I loved them back then and I love them again now but I suppose its that which is making me hesitate. A bit like people saying that if you remember a fashion the first time around, you're too old to do it again (flares?). But then the other part of me says s*d it, I like them and they're a classic.

Thanks Sorefeet & Shirley for the website recommendations (and warning).

oliviafrombolivia Tue 15-Dec-15 14:38:00

I was too tight to buy Grenson's recently so I bought these

www.asos.com//ASOS/ASOS-MATCHED-Leather-Brogues/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5331425

dixiejo Tue 15-Dec-15 15:04:07

A very convincing dupe, Olivia smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now