Talk

Advanced search

Help me with makeup please!

(12 Posts)
CaffeineBomb Sun 13-Dec-15 07:33:45

I have never really worn makeup apart from a little eyeliner and mascara and occasionally BB cream.

I am starting a new job in the new year following maternity leave and would like to feel a bit more glamorous.

I have no idea what make up essentials I need though and what brand to buy e.g. Mac. I will have an 11 month old and will need to leave the house at around 7 so won't have ages to spend getting ready. Can I have your tips please

superbfairywren Sun 13-Dec-15 08:50:46

If you are happy with the coverage I would stick to a bb cream especially if you won't have much time to get ready. Mascara doesn't have to be expensive, I love the bad gal lash from benefit but am just as happy with the green and pink Maybelline one I'm using now.
If I were you I would just start small and buy a few less expensive things you like the look of and have a play with them, see what you think. Makeup is great fun and you can get a lot for your money with the cheaper ranges, its a good place to start if you don't normally wear much makeup. You can then always upgrade if you find you're using it up and want something more luxurious

Essentials are probably some kind of base whether it be bb cream, foundation... Makeup brushes, I like the eco tools ones from superdrug or boots but people rave about real techniques ones too, an eye-shadow palette(MUA ones are great and so cheap) or duo/trio to get you started, get something quite neutral, eyeliner, and mascara, blusher or bronzer will make quite a difference, so really worth finding the perfect shade, colour for you.

Kennington Sun 13-Dec-15 09:03:18

For daytime I would use an illuminating primer and concealer plus a very light roughy of blush and mascara. Then work up from there.
Do you need base? I have friends who use it when their skin is great but they just need a little bit of concealer on a spot or around eyes and nose.
Illuminating primers take 2 seconds to apply and I think I look fresher!

Allgunsblazing Sun 13-Dec-15 09:12:18

I use Clinique all about eyes. I NEED that cream. I keep it in the fridge and apply in the morning while the kettle boils. £23
Olay BB cream in fair. I am not fair, but it gives a subtle glow. £10
Chantecaille total concealer for around the eyes £32 byt lasts years!
Chanel contrast eyeshadow. I have pink and violet. I use the violet as a liner and the pink for the rest of the eye. Gives a dewy shimmer, doesn't clump, well worth it. £32.
Lancome Hypnotique mascara £20 something.
Max factor blusher in soft murano. £7
Nuxe miel lipbalm, m&s, £9

Takes me 5 mins if that.

The trick is to always have your eyebrows done, I have mine threaded every 2-3 weeks, £5.

Book hairdresser 6 times a year (mine is undyed, so all I need is a cut and blow).

Use perfume if you aren't already. Get tomorrow's outfit ready before bed, down to the earrings, you won't have time to think in the morning.
HTH.

CaffeineBomb Sun 13-Dec-15 18:01:36

Thank you! I have never used primer as never really understood what it was for.

I have never once had my eyebrows done how bad is that! I have quite fair eyebrows so will get them threaded and think I will go to a good make up counter to find a good bronzer for my shade.

I also haven't had my hair done in months. I have actually been feeling really crappy especially as I'm not yet back to my pre pregnancy size so writing all of that makes me think I need to make some time for myself.

Looking forward to buying myself some products, a couple of work essentials that fit (rather than thinking whats the point buying new clothes I want to lose weight anyway) and getting my hair done

Sleepyfergus Sun 13-Dec-15 18:17:11

Blusher. I'm 43 and have tarted using blusher (way back in my taeens I did, but kinda avoided it thereafter). It makes such a difference.

Try MUA (make up academy) in superdrug to experiment with make up. Much cheapness (blusher is £1) but it gets rave reviews and a good way to try without splurging. Also watch YouTube for make up tips - try Pixiwoo, great no nonsense and easy to follow tutorials.

And yes to eyebrows being threaded. Makes such a difference

mewkins Sun 13-Dec-15 19:52:46

I have recently bought tge urban decay naked smoky palette and it is brilliant! I had various cheaper versions before but the eyeshadow is amazing...basically it is totally blendable unlike pretty much everything I have had before. I would recommend that (I am a bit heavy with eye makeup) or one of the naked palettes which are a bit more natural looking. Well worth the money as it will last ages.

jamtartandcustard Mon 14-Dec-15 01:16:31

Day to day I just wear foundation (Mac studio fix) blusher (nars orgasm) lipstick (Mac viva glam v) and mascara (maybelline falsies waterproof) and that's it. I like to keep it natural and just use make up to even out and enhance my natural self.
Do make sure eyebrows are done though. Makes a huge difference. I haven't had my haircut in 6 months but I very very rarely wear it down

Didiusfalco Mon 14-Dec-15 01:50:47

Sleepy is so right. Blusher makes a massive difference! Ive been in your position - small dc trying to get out early. I found it really helpful to refine my makeup to what i could fit it in a small section of my bag and do on the go/with minimum brushes. For me this is the bodyshop all in one facebase, which is very easy to apply, mascara, eyeliner, bourgouis aqua blush, which can be blended with fingers, and one nice shimmery urban decay eyeshadow in a neutral colour. Much as it would be lovely to take my time at home, i found it almost impossible with small dc and having handbag size things i could use on the go was the only reason i ended up with any makeup on some days.

fruitlovingmonkey Mon 14-Dec-15 08:00:39

Yy to blusher. I like the cream ones because they are so easy to blend. You can even get a dual purpose lip and cheek colour (comes in a lipstick tube).
For the face, I highly recommend Origins Vitazing. It's a tinted moisteriser/ miracle worker. I don't wear make up every day because I'm lazy but I look loads better if I remember to put that on. Have to do it after getting dressed though because it will rub off onto clothes.

CaffeineBomb Mon 14-Dec-15 09:04:12

I love the idea of getting some handbag sized products, means I can get ready on the commute if it comes to it smile

Cheesymonster Mon 14-Dec-15 09:37:18

All of my makeup can be applied with my fingers so I can do it quickly on the go. I use:

Max factor whipped cream foundation
Maybelline fit me concealer under eyes
Ysl Touche Eclat on top of that
No 7 cream eyeshadow in nude
Maybelline brow satin (duo ended pencil and powder)
Collection liquid eyeliner pen
Maybelline eyeliner pencil to tight line (YouTube videos will show you how to do this, it stops me having a gap between liner and my blond lashes)
Curl eyelashes
Loreal telescopic mascara
17 cheek stamp powder blusher - gimmicky but so easy. You dot it on cheeks and rub in.
Lip balm.

Looks like a lot written down but it's quick I promise. I have a 3 year old so it's a rush to get out of the door to nursery and work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now