Talk

Advanced search

voluminous, good quality jumpers

(16 Posts)
returnofthehumanegg Fri 11-Dec-15 20:17:17

I'm in dire need of some new clothes and just ordered some lovely looking wool and alpaca jumpers from toast. They've arrived and I look like a man in them. Where else does good quality jumpers (under £100 preferably) and might have styles that are loose but tapered in at the hem? Or A line would work. Boxy/ neat doesn't seem to be working for me.

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Dec-15 20:20:29

Celtic and Co have lovely fashiony knitwear, but high quality wool.

Woolovers is good for more classic styles. They try to do trendy, but don't really pull it off.

returnofthehumanegg Fri 11-Dec-15 20:37:27

Great, there's one from the Celtic and co I'll be ordering, they're new to me so thanks for that.

BikeRunSki Fri 11-Dec-15 21:55:56

Glad to help!

DragonRojo Sat 12-Dec-15 08:08:50

Not a place that comes to mind instantly, but I got mine from GAP this year

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 12-Dec-15 08:12:36

Phase 8?. I got some lovely ones last year.

I look like a man in sweaters too-a short, fat one.grin

flanjabelle Sat 12-Dec-15 08:18:41

Not sure if I'll be flamed for this but I got a lovely jumper from sainsburies a couple of weeks ago. It looks fab with black skinny jeans and a biker jacket. Its really warm too.

It's this one:

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/tustorefront/?pagetype=product&productcode=127911143-Grey

they had a few different colours too. It hangs really nicely on me, I'm size 8, not massive of nork.

returnofthehumanegg Sat 12-Dec-15 13:18:31

Thanks all for the good suggestions, I'll look at these. I'm reasonably slim at the moment so though I could get away with some boxyness but it just seems to emphasise chunky shoulders and short stature instead. Trying to get some decent clothes before I go back to work (it's casual dress there luckily)

burnishedsilver Sat 12-Dec-15 14:13:51

Boden.

CreviceImp Sat 12-Dec-15 18:00:19

After years of shelling out for <cough> investment jumpers and finding they all turn to shit in no time at all I buy cheap now. I think as soon as you have angora/cashmere mixes you are into dealing with shedding and bobbling all the farking time. As my teenage son in his infinite wisdom oft refrains
'ain't nobody got no time for that...'

Indeed.

I have had a lot of joy with Boohoo this winter. Designs just like Mint Velvet asymmetric knits for £18 instead of £60+. I like their jumper dresses which look chunky but are done in a light stretchy knit so aren't bulky. I needed a medium for it to look flattering.

I buy cashmere second hand.

I do like the Boden off duty jobbie but ignore the sizing. I'm a 12-14 and an xs was best or they drown.

CreviceImp Sat 12-Dec-15 18:01:32

Look mannish in Toast offerings too .

returnofthehumanegg Sat 12-Dec-15 19:33:16

Thanks Crevice, that's interesting. I was going down the 'investment' route with a Steve jobs concept of buying 4 good quality jumpers (not black polo necks though) and rotating them, so I don't have to think about what to wear and they might last . But if you say they turn into bobbly messes then I might as well save my money. I'll look at boohoo, I saw some stuff I like on Boden but the sizing sounds confusing, if I'm around a size 8 normally I wonder if there's much point ordering their size 8.

ZenNudist Sun 13-Dec-15 01:27:27

Hobbs have nice ones in good quality wool and not too pricey cashmere or cotton.

Unlike pp I've given up on cheap jumpers. I hate throwing things out after a year. I can't stand acrylic mixes and just because it's got wool or silk in doesn't make it wear well.

Got a chunky grey banana republic cashmere jumper last year that's as good as new. I do rend to save them for 'best' such as casual work days or days I'm not at home with the kids just doing housework and fielding flying yoghurt on £100 with of jumper!

Maybe I need that £20 jobby upthread for playgroup days!

amarmai Sun 13-Dec-15 12:30:57

M&S merino wool was good quality any time i bought there.

returnofthehumanegg Mon 14-Dec-15 17:05:48

Thanks Zen and Amarmai, good to know. I had a m&s cashmere that also wore well. Will look at Hobbs and banana republic, cos also have the right kind of thing so will do a shopping trip when DH is home over Christmas to watch the kids.

cressetmama Mon 14-Dec-15 17:19:59

Wall London have a sale on at the moment and some of their plainer jumpers are nice, but they are expensive at full price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now