Talk

Advanced search

Quick hair dye disaster help needed!!

(25 Posts)
Eminybob Fri 11-Dec-15 15:48:31

I've just put a permanent colour on my hair and I hate it. It is too reddy I wanted it more a warm brown.

Anyway, can I dye over it? Do I need to wait before hand? Do I need to use a colour remover first?

Or should I go to the hairdressers? Will they be able to sort it (although I can't imagine I'll get an appointment today or tomorrow they are pretty busy)

unimaginativename13 Fri 11-Dec-15 15:53:02

Unfortunately warm brown usually means reddy that's where the warmth is.

You can dye over it but it's a bit of guesswork if your doing it yourself to get the right result. Your best to do to a hairdresser.

HippyChickMama Fri 11-Dec-15 15:54:19

You can dye over it but depending on what you use the red might show through slightly. Which colour did you use? I've gone back to dark brown (my natural colour) from bright copper, I used a garnier one and it covered ok

Eminybob Fri 11-Dec-15 15:55:13

Thank you. I knew I should have stuck to my usual colour but I fancied something different but not this different! It's quite dark too so I don't know if it'll make any difference if I try to put s lighter colour on it sad

Eminybob Fri 11-Dec-15 15:57:02

So there won't be any adverse effects of putting on 2 permanent hair colours in one day? My hair fall out will it?

Eminybob Fri 11-Dec-15 15:57:33

*wont fall out

unimaginativename13 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:00:53

It may be more damaged, and no it won't lighten the colour you have put on.

Use a semi permanent in a neutral to take some of the red away

prettywhiteguitar Fri 11-Dec-15 16:01:02

I would use colour b4 then dye over it. I used it and it didn't ruin my hair

sky1010 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:03:05

Put a light ash brown on top.

Eminybob Fri 11-Dec-15 16:03:43

Thanks all

unimaginativename13 Fri 11-Dec-15 16:09:34

And if it's a dark red brown the light ash brown will do naff all confused

By the time you've faffed around you might aswell of gone to a salon.

Eminybob Sat 12-Dec-15 15:15:06

Just to update, in case anyone's interested, I used colour b4 and my hair went a fetching shade of strawberry blonde confused
But I've put a medium brown garnier one on and am currently waiting for it to develop. With me luck, I'm going out tonight sad

Eminybob Sat 12-Dec-15 15:15:27

*wish

sky1010 Sat 12-Dec-15 17:07:53

A light ash brown would tone the red out it, it wouldn't do naff all.

It wouldn't lighten it- but it would shift some of the red.

I hope you have picked a medium ASH brown OP otherwise it will be more of the same.

Dowser Sat 12-Dec-15 19:16:32

Omg! As it happens...

Has it developed yet?

Strawberry blonde? It must have had bleach in it then!

Youvegottobekidding Sat 12-Dec-15 20:08:07

A bit late now, but in case of future hair dye mishap - Google the vitamin c hair dye removal method - much cheaper & less damaging/time consuming than colour b4!

QueryQuery Sat 12-Dec-15 20:10:24

How is it looking now?

ColourB4 left me ginger and grey. Very attractive.

bikingintherain Sat 12-Dec-15 20:26:31

I hope it's worked out OP, nothing worse than hair you hate. Fingers crossed!

Eminybob Sat 12-Dec-15 22:22:36

Well the brown I have ended up with is still quite a bit darker than usual for some reason but a hell of a lot better than the red, or the strawberry blonde!

My hair hasn't fallen out though which is a bonus considering the amount of chemicals it has been exposed to in the last 2 days!

PrimalLass Sun 13-Dec-15 05:31:12

In future use Nice and Easy natural medium brown. It is perfect.

ICanSeeForMiles Sun 13-Dec-15 05:57:41

Colour b4 is great, and it really doesn't damage your hair...I've used the extra strength one three times in a week before.
The trick is to use a lighter semi permanent than you want for your final colour, because it oxidises and grabs the colour much more strongly than usual.
The colour you are now will probably get a bit darker in the coming week, but if you're not happy you can use another colour b4 safely.

unimaginativename13 Sun 13-Dec-15 06:30:25

Colour b4 makes your hair like a sponge so you often get darker results which fades very quickly, or you can find it will get darker as the days go in.

The red wouldn't contain bleach, the strawberry blonde would be from previous colours.

Glad you almost corrected it xx

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 13-Dec-15 09:46:17

<<late to the party>>

What a nightmare shock

eminy you'll need to treat your hair to some intensive conditioning to pacify it (especially with all the potential damage of winter and central heating)

Some gems I've learned over the years with dye:

The colour chart thingie and the colour of the photograph models hair bears naff all resemblance to your end result.
(In years gone by there was always a disclaimer that the dye was used on blonde haired models)

Mine always turns out much darker confused you really need a strand test to be sure.

I've done high;ights and dye on the same day (home effort) and though it's not the best thing for my hair , it hasn't fallen out yet

I use a blonde dye (my hair is mid brown IRL and very short) it turns it coppery gold grin

Red fades. If you'd done some intestive washing with Head and Shoulders, you could shift some of it.

I'd have embraced the red personally but I love red hair !

Eminybob Sun 13-Dec-15 10:33:59

'Twas not a nice red. I don't mind red so much, I had pillar box red in my teens and early twenties (90's teenager!) these days it's all about covering the greys with minimum upkeep required!

My hair still smells of dye this morning even though it's been washed sad

unimaginativename13 Sun 13-Dec-15 18:03:09

Colour B4 smells vile and can linger for ages. Did you do the rinsing but for the full 10mins (from memory in the instructions)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now