Talk

Advanced search

Dd s oily nose ...

(12 Posts)
ginorwine Thu 10-Dec-15 19:32:35

D d has very oily nose with blackheads that can't be squeezed no matter what !
Small blackheads - look like oxydised dirt ? Also has bumpy chin area , red , rarely come to a yellow head .
Got la rich possey stuff recomended here and the sports have improved a bit .
However her nose is v oily , look s wet .i heard that if too strong stripper like products are used then it can make the skin produce more ?
She tried the Clinique toner , no effect seen .
Does she need Salic acid?
Help ! I've never had this type of skin . Thanks on behalf of dd !

Kennington Thu 10-Dec-15 20:22:34

Vichy normaderm lotion contains salicylic acid
A clay mask too
Then a mattifying moisturiser - lots about but I use a primer for his purpose from Clinique

ConesOfDunshire Fri 11-Dec-15 01:10:13

Google sebaceous filaments - it's possible that these are the small blackheads, and therefore not blackheads at all.

internaldiscord Fri 11-Dec-15 05:37:00

seconding the suggestion above - these are the bane of my
life! the google results will share a link to an xojane post that shows how to deal with them to begin with. but they're something that are here to stay. i bought REN's Clearcalm 3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser for daily use and my skin is a lot less oily. i'm going to take note of the salicylic recommendations above - struggling to find one that could help!

Kennington Fri 11-Dec-15 07:35:46

Oh and this process took about 2 weeks for them to go with the normaderm use everyday at night.
Mask used once per week.

Elllicam Fri 11-Dec-15 07:39:35

I used to have very oily skin as a teenager I found lush aqua marina face wash worked miracles.

MrsMarigold Fri 11-Dec-15 10:44:09

I have similar skin but I use La Roche Possay during the day effaclar duo but at night I always put on Acnecide with benzoyl peroxide every single night - still do it but it went off the market for a bit and my skin was awful during that period. Also those nose strips are useful for removal. Also woud she be prepared to go on the pill - I'm on Yasmin

MrsMarigold Fri 11-Dec-15 10:45:11

I have similar skin but I use La Roche Possay during the day effaclar duo but at night I always put on Acnecide with benzoyl peroxide every single night - still do it but it went off the market for a bit and my skin was awful during that period. Also those nose strips are useful for removal. Also woud she be prepared to go on the pill - I'm on Yasmin - there is no need to have dodgy skin.

Wolpertinger Fri 11-Dec-15 10:45:36

She prob has sebaceous filaments, the tops of which oxidise and look black. You can squeeze them out but a new one will be there by tomorrow.

You need a salicylic acid product which dissolves in the oil and gently exfoliates the black stuff off.

Which Clinique toner did you use? Only the Mild Clarifying Lotion is any good and as salicylic goes it is pretty mild - I think it's 0.5% while Paula's Choice 2% BHA (the gold standard) is obvs 2%.None of the other Clinique toners are formulated properly - some don't have salicylic, they all have too much alcohol and are the wrong pH for the salicylic to work.

Vichy Normaderm or LRP Effaclar Duo would be classic places to start for teen skin. She also needs a non-foaming cleanser like Cetaphil or Avene Gentle Cleanser and either no moisturiser (it's not mandatory to use one - if she doesn't feel she needs one, skip it) or an oil free one.

If she still has a lot of spots after this, take her to see the GP.

VenusRising Fri 11-Dec-15 11:00:34

Oil cleaning got rid of my sebaceous filaments completely. I used castor oil and grape seed oil mix.
Put oil on nose, (and chin if necessary) leave for a few mins, get very hot cloth and wipe off, rinse in water.
Do this twice a day and they'll be gone in a week.

You don't say how old you'd dd is, but if she's getting cystic acne, the pill might be worth looking into. Yasmine / dianette can be used for a short while, but the risk of stroke and DVT is a lot higher on it. I took cileste for years and it had fewer side effects.

RapidlyOscillating Fri 11-Dec-15 11:05:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ginorwine Fri 11-Dec-15 14:44:16

Thanks all c much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now