Talk

Advanced search

Plus size christmas wedding evening do outfit help please

(18 Posts)
AuntieMaggie Thu 10-Dec-15 10:27:05

I've got a christmas wedding to go to after Christmas and although we're only going to the evening do we don't get out very often so I'd like to make an effort... I've been looking at dresses but most of them seem to be black and not sure if black is ok... can you help?

I'm a busty size 20 and hate my knees

Dowser Thu 10-Dec-15 10:57:27

I think for an evening winter wedding do black would be just fine.

FannyFifer Thu 10-Dec-15 10:59:11

Black is absolutely fine for this occasion. smile

Dowser Thu 10-Dec-15 11:02:42

This might suit you. Good price too and available in teal and black and plum in black

www.yoursclothing.co.uk/black-teal-short-sleeve-lace-skater-dress-p

Dowser Thu 10-Dec-15 11:12:51

www.yoursclothing.co.uk/black-gold-metallic-thread-dress-with-draped-back-p

Or this

AuntieMaggie Thu 10-Dec-15 11:52:59

I really like the metallic one but it's out of stock in my size sad

hellsbellsmelons Thu 10-Dec-15 12:13:39

Something long?
flattering

polyhymnia Thu 10-Dec-15 12:49:34

I'd avoid lace. There was a very recent thread on lace dresses here and most thought that most lace dresses (as well as being not very up to date in fashion terms) were frumpy - I agree with this and, as someone large myself, think they look particularly frumpy on those of us who arelarge-busted.

Dowser Thu 10-Dec-15 18:57:55

It's showing size 20 as low stock on my link Maggie.

AuntieMaggie Thu 10-Dec-15 21:01:15

thanks ladies.

noted about the lace... I fancy something bright but not sure I dare!

Muskey Thu 10-Dec-15 21:08:59

Depending on your budget I use a company called Navibi who do some really fantastic plus size evening/occasion wear. They are based in Germany but they do have an English website. They are a bit on the pricey side but everything I have bought i have really loved

polyhymnia Thu 10-Dec-15 23:50:16

Navabi.

I've never bought though very often browsed. The dresses I've liked on there because they aren't sack like (as many of their things are) but have definition have usually been too short, alas. But then I'm tall so that wouldn't be a problem for everyone.

Can you mention any particular brands or even particular pieces you've liked on there, Muskey?
I may be missing out.

Muskey Fri 11-Dec-15 10:07:25

Poly how tall are you. I am five foot six so not the shortest of people. I like the Isolde Roth range as they usually are asymmetrical and a bit funky. For my husbands works christmas do I have bought a black lace trimmed long line Jersey dress. I would provide a link if I could but I am a bit of a techno biff. I know pp has said lace makes you look frumpy but this is at the bottom. Just so you know imo the picture actually doesn't do the dress justice. The clothes comes really quickly and if you don't like it sending back is simple and they credit the money back really quick.

I hope you find what you are looking for

tethersend Fri 11-Dec-15 10:48:19

How about red?

fluted sleeve

Velvet

tethersend Fri 11-Dec-15 10:49:30

Bargain

polyhymnia Fri 11-Dec-15 11:43:23

Thanks, Musky, is the black dress you describe, which sounds nice, an Isolde Roth one?
Will have a look anyway. I'm not desperate for a this Christmas outfit luckily as that's sorted, I think ( burgundy velvet) but I'm always on the lookout for good quality stylish dresses which fit!

Muskey Fri 11-Dec-15 11:55:46

It is an Isolde Roth dress. Most of their pieces are Jersey for the winter and she does some really lovely linen dresses for the summer. As I said the quality is good and you don't end up looking a sack of spuds as they are always shape the clothes well

AuntieMaggie Sat 12-Dec-15 09:06:04

Thank you again - I love the look of the red ones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now