Talk

Advanced search

Decent but inexpensive makeup

(27 Posts)
Bubblychocolate Wed 09-Dec-15 21:21:43

I need some guidance!!

I'm in serious need of updating the contents of my make up bag. I usually just buy whatever I find is the cheapest in the chemist, but you can always tell that it's not the best quality. I've decided I need to start buying a few decent items.

I always hear people talking about MAC makeup, but I nearly fainted when I looked at the prices! I guess I'm a bit of a cheapskate!

So, can anyone point me in the direction of some brands that are not as expensive as MAC, but where I would still be getting a half decent product! There are so many to choose from but I haven't a clue which ones are any good.

nilbyname Wed 09-Dec-15 21:27:37

I to to splurge on the following-

Eye shadow- Mac or urban decay
Lip glosses- Lancôme juicy tube, all others dry my lips
Concealer- touché eclat

But cheap but halfway decent-
Mascara- bourgeois
Foundation- bourgeois

Blushes/bronzers/highlighters - benefit

I have organic bamboo brushes that I wash often for good application and watch beauty you tube videos.

SpendSpendSpend Wed 09-Dec-15 21:33:34

Make up is something that i dont scrimp on cost wise.

I ve never tried MAC as i dont have a stockist anywhere near me. But i do like Estee Lauder and Clinique products.

I used to use Loreal make up but as a one off i bought Estee Lauder foundation and wow what a difference!! Ok it was nearly 3 times the price but you could tell it was much better.

I now wont buy make up from Superdrug etc. It takes me much less time to apply the make up as i dont have to keep correcting it like i did with the cheaper brand.

lorelei9 Wed 09-Dec-15 21:33:58

I find Rimmel and Body Shop v good. Best mate used to work for large cosmetics companies so I've had much of the pricey stuff at hefty discounts. Only pricey thing I've found that can't be matched in a cheaper brand is Bare minerals foundation but I'm hugely fussy about that one item.

thecrimsonpetal Wed 09-Dec-15 21:36:33

What makeup do you usually wear?

I have a mix of expensive and cheaper items in my makeup bag, some of the cheaper stuff is as good as the expensive things! I often use Boots Botanics BB Cream- this gives better coverage than the overpriced Bare Minerals foundation I have. I also bought a cheap eyeshadow palette in boots recently, different nude eyeshadow colours, I think it was by Collection, and that has been really good. Boots No7 also do some nice things, not really cheap but not that expensive either. I always use the No7 Stay Perfect mascara, it's about £13 but I always buy it with the £3 off vouchers. It's a tubing mascara and stays put all day long, not a single smudge, which is a miracle for me. I have some Boots Natural Collection lipglosses, just for every day, and they are really quite nice. Barry M nail polishes are brilliant, as good as the Leighton Denny or OPI ones I have.

The MUA palettes in superdrug look fantastic too, very good value for money.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 09-Dec-15 21:38:38

Rimmel is surprisingly good.

I liked a mixture of benefit, El, ect and now I find I keep buying Rimmel. (not foundation)

They're eyeshadow is great, they have a really good eyebrow powder set which is better then benefits, blusher is nice and mascara.

I've switched to benefit for special occasions and beautiful mat no 7 foundation for everyday so I don't bankrupt myself.

Bubblychocolate Wed 09-Dec-15 21:48:09

Usually rimmel, collection 2000 (or whatever it's called these days!), couple of things from Avon. I even have an eyeliner from Aldi!

Thank you for the replies. Gives me some ideas with regards to brands.

MeadowHay Wed 09-Dec-15 21:49:29

I agree with pps who mentioned Barry M (particularly for nails), the Body Shop, No 7. at Boots (particularly for concealer, and nails). All usually pretty decent quality for reasonable prices. I would also recommend Sleek, and Soap & Glory.

For higher priced stuff, Clinique, Urban Decay and Estée Lauder are all very good quality but I really only buy stuff from these types of brands once in a blue moon if it's something I will use a lot or that will last me ages. My last foundation was from Clinique and was great, and I especially love Urban Decay's eye primer. I'm getting a UD eyeshadow pallet off my nan for Christmas! :')

Rivercam Wed 09-Dec-15 21:51:28

I like the Avon makeup range.

rageagainsttheBIL Wed 09-Dec-15 21:58:16

Bourgeois is on 3 for 2 plus free eyeshadow in Superdrug at the moment

BeaBoo Wed 09-Dec-15 21:59:53

Superdrug have a new-ish range called Makeup Revolution which is just amazing. I bought a massive matte neutral eyeshadow palette for £8 and the quality is outstanding for the price. I've also got a contour kit

BeaBoo Wed 09-Dec-15 22:01:42

Argh I dropped my phone and it posted early! Also have a powder contour kit from the same range which is great. It includes bronzers/highlighters. I've heard good things about the rest of the range too (lipsticks are £1 and apparently good quality) so it's definitely worth checking out.

I would also recommend the Boots Natural Collection mascara which is £1.99. I've always bought really expensive high end mascaras and would never go back now. It's brilliant - check out the reviews online smile

Bubblychocolate Wed 09-Dec-15 22:33:09

Thank you all so much! I'm going to have an hour of online shopping before bed!

slug Wed 09-Dec-15 22:35:42

Makeup Revolution from Superdrug is surprisingly good for the price. Their highlighter pallets is a fairly good dupe for the Hourglass one and they have fantastic eyeshadow palettes.

SecretLocation Wed 09-Dec-15 22:44:00

MUA from super drug is really good, particularly the eyeshadows as they are high pigment so mimic the effect of more expensive brands like urban decay.

I have found some great finds from the pound shop as well, they often stock end of line products from high street brands.

WhoisLucasHood Wed 09-Dec-15 22:46:54

I rate Maybelline, really good make up for a decent price.

Didiusfalco Wed 09-Dec-15 22:50:39

MUA lipsticks are great - think theyre £1. Barrie M make up brushes. Rimmel eyeliner as good as any more expensive I have tried, also Revlon 2000 calorie mascara is excellent and stays put (on me anyway). Also currently loving Bourgeois aqua-blush - really natural and easy to apply. The thing i havent found a cheap dupe for is urban decay eye shadow, its the one pricier thing i buy again and again.

MagratGarlikAgain Wed 09-Dec-15 23:02:09

Decent brushes make a huge difference, even when the make-up is not high-end (though will make cheap make-up look better, rather than making it look expensive iyswim). MAC brushes are worth investing in.

For actual make-up I like No. 7 from Boots, which is a good compromise for everyday use. I find though a good base is important, but you can scrimp on eye-shadow and lipstick much more if the base is good.

Levantine Thu 10-Dec-15 06:11:31

Boots have really good 'free' gifts with a £15 spend on most of their makeup ranges. The soap and glory one has a full size mascara, blusher and lip gloss stick which are all lovely. I really rate s&,g, lovely colours for lipsticks and good foundations for the price imo

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 10-Dec-15 06:31:00

I think brushes are overrated and I have nice Mac ones. There's no difference between my mac brushes and my body shop brushes but what always works best for me is my fingers.

RoobyTuesday Thu 10-Dec-15 18:35:40

I think a lot of high end cosmetics are totally over priced and really no different to the cheaper brands. I've tried several expensive mascaras - Estée Lauder, Christian Dior and benefit and they are no better than a Rimmel one. My favourite shade of lipstick is Chanel so I always buy it as I can't find the shade elsewhere, however the quality is a bit crap to be honest. It doesn't last more than half an hour and is very drying (yet it costs £25!).
I'd go for L'oreal for foundation as they are very good quality and don't have the pink or orange undertones that look so artificial. I really wouldn't bother splashing out too much on expensive brands. Maybelline, Revlon and Loreal seem to do very good quality eye shadow, mascara and lipsticks in my opinion.

victoryinthekitchen Fri 11-Dec-15 11:07:13

I spent hours, no must have been days, worth of time in House of Fraser buying Clinique, Christian Dior and Estee Lauder products during my 30's. Now I have dc and different priorities and swear by Boots no7 and Superdrug MUA.

hollinhurst84 Fri 11-Dec-15 12:28:10

Makeup revolution for highlighter
Elf (online) for HD powder
Seventeen HD falsifye for mascara
Makeup geek for eyeshadows and blush (online from beauty bay) - I rarely use any others now, they are so pigmented

JeremyCorbynsVest Fri 11-Dec-15 16:23:05

I got this Collection contour palette from Boots the other day and I am really really impressed with it. It is every bit as good as the Charlotte Tilbury kit IMO, and it was under £4.

JeremyCorbynsVest Fri 11-Dec-15 16:24:23

Oh, and I meant to say as I have got older and crepier I find it's the brushes that make the difference, rather than the make-up! So if I invest in decent brushes, I can economise on some of the products :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now